Anyone fitted a Flytanium Brouwer scale or deep carry clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Anyone fitted a Flytanium Brouwer scale or deep carry clip?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hi,

I’m loving the Brouwer- as a little knife it’s a great size for big hands. (I could have bought a Lil Native but I’m waiting for the slipjoint!)

I’m thinking of blinging it with a Flytanium scale and deep clip.

Anyone done this?

Preference for Lynch or MXG clip?

Thanks!

Chris
soulspy

Re: Anyone fitted a Flytanium Brouwer scale or deep carry clip?

Post by soulspy »

I have an MXG deep carry that is shaped sort of like a canoe paddle, not the one that looks like the Lynch design. It fits perfectly and hits my hand perfectly, no hot spots. I'm an XL in gloves.

I like the Flytanium scale, but I know it doesn't match the finish of the lockside scale, so I probably will not buy one.

Post by 013 »

If you don't personally own a blasting cabinet, any autobody shop will have one & they probably wouldnt charge much to blast the two scales to match. That is, if you even care about matching. If you go that route, don't forget not to blast the important parts that need to keep their tolerances.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hi Chris -

I put the flytanium scale on my Brouwer and ultimately decided that I preferred the original green g10..

It is nice, don't get me wrong. Very well made, perfect fit, easy installation, etc. As soulspy says, the finish is different from the lockside scale, but this didn't really bother me. If it fits your preferences, I'd say go for it, definitely. For me, I thought that I'd really like it, and I suppose I do, but all said and done, I just prefer the original scale.

I think a deep-carry clip is a must on the Brouwer. My preference is MXG. Lynch makes a great clip, but I like the look of the MXG clips without the hole for screws much better. Again, a personal preference thing..

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am
Hi Chris -

I put the flytanium scale on my Brouwer and ultimately decided that I preferred the original green g10..

It is nice, don't get me wrong. Very well made, perfect fit, easy installation, etc. As soulspy says, the finish is different from the lockside scale, but this didn't really bother me. If it fits your preferences, I'd say go for it, definitely. For me, I thought that I'd really like it, and I suppose I do, but all said and done, I just prefer the original scale.

I think a deep-carry clip is a must on the Brouwer. My preference is MXG. Lynch makes a great clip, but I like the look of the MXG clips without the hole for screws much better. Again, a personal preference thing..

Thanks!

I was thinking of the carbon fibre scale - I thought those Millie’s that we’re half Ti, half cf looked great.

I wonder if the internal stop pin on the blade would hit and damage the cf, though? On the original scale it stops up against both liners.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Ti. non lock side scale looks great, but doesn't it add weight. I like my Brouwer because it is light.
Also, I like the MXG short clip with the hole, because I can grab the hole as I pull the knife out of my pocket.( easy Retreveal )

Carbon Fiber?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

gull wing wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am

Carbon Fiber?
“Two countries separated by a common language”
as George Bernard Shaw quipped.

I think I would prefer the short hole Lynch clip, too.

Update 2mins later..... ordered in polished!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

gull wing - the Ti scale doesn't add any weight because it is milled in a way that the original liner is removed during installation. Flytanium's website says the installed weight is 2.77 oz. Brouwer weight is listed on spyderco.com at 2.8 oz. Although, it is technically a little bit lighter, I didn't notice any real difference in weight when I had my Ti scale installed..

Chris - I would have assumed that the CF scale would be milled just like the g10 scale and installed over the original liner.. however, looking on Flytanium's site, it does indicate a "liner delete" for the CF scale. I imagine the CF is sturdy enough in practice, but I would share your concern about it holding up against the motion of the internal stop pin over time.. fortunately, CF does little for me aesthetically, so I won't ever have to worry about it on my Brouwer haha.. I hope you enjoy your CF scale though! Post some pics when you get it installed! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 am
gull wing - the Ti scale doesn't add any weight because it is milled in a way that the original liner is removed during installation. Flytanium's website says the installed weight is 2.77 oz. Brouwer weight is listed on spyderco.com at 2.8 oz. Although, it is technically a little bit lighter, I didn't notice any real difference in weight when I had my Ti scale installed..

Chris - I would have assumed that the CF scale would be milled just like the g10 scale and installed over the original liner.. however, looking on Flytanium's site, it does indicate a "liner delete" for the CF scale. I imagine the CF is sturdy enough in practice, but I would share your concern about it holding up against the motion of the internal stop pin over time.. fortunately, CF does little for me aesthetically, so I won't ever have to worry about it on my Brouwer haha.. I hope you enjoy your CF scale though! Post some pics when you get it installed! :)
It’s on it’s way ....

Flytanium claim the total fitted weight with the cf scale is 2.32oz, so that’s a reasonable reduction. Add the huge weight loss from the Lynch clip and it may touch 2.3 oz ...
Actually it’s the appearance and smooth texture that appeals to me over the peel ply g10.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

https://www.europeanblades.com/the-spyd ... er-folder/

Interestingly, the prototype production Brouwer Flanker had a solid cf scale by the look of it, but not the original custom Flanker.

http://www.tacticalforum.de/index.php?p ... adID=40183
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Good, Flytanium excludes the steel liner, good move.
I still like the texture of G10 and BRG is still one of my fav. Note my brother had an Austin Healy Sprite back in the day and I learned to drive on it.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I have one in the exact configuration you’re looking for and I really like the knife. Have carried it everyday for about 6 weeks now, including 2 out-of-state trips. That being said there are pros and cons to the flytanium scale mods. I’ll list them out below but first some pics.

https://i.imgur.com/c5O13hF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PRWJQ6a.jpg

Regarding the deep carry ti clip, there are only pros and zero cons. As mentioned above, it is almost a must for this knife.

https://i.imgur.com/Snaewwa.jpg

As far as the cf flytanium scale, the pros outweigh the cons (IMO) but the cons are there.

https://i.imgur.com/bDgi4Qq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JWddTmo.jpg

Pros:
Fit is perfect. The scale installed really easily and fits perfectly.
Finish is nice. The carbon fiber is high quality and looks and feels great.
Weight reduction. This is a liner delete scale so it loses the weight of the steel liner.
Pocketability. The smooth cf makes pocketing and drawing the knife noticeably easier than the peel ply g10.
Price. The price is pretty reasonable for what you get.

Cons:
Action. Removing the liner makes the action less smooth. Not terrible, but the increased friction is noticeable. I’d honestly rather have the liner and keep the action the way it was.

https://i.imgur.com/Kg3hpHh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6kUlIuV.jpg

Not-quite-a-con-but-still-bugs-me:
Scale edges are not chamfered. This is not a full con, but it’s more than just a nitpick. The edges of the scales are squared off, not chamfered like the factory scale. This doesn’t affect the function of the knife at all, but I definitely notice it and I wish flytanium would have taken the time to chamfer the edges to match the factory scale, even if it increased the price.

Overall I really like the mods and would recommend them.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

gull wing wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Good, Flytanium excludes the steel liner, good move.
I still like the texture of G10 and BRG is still one of my fav. Note my brother had an Austin Healy Sprite back in the day and I learned to drive on it.
What a great little car! From an entirely different age of motoring.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm
I have one in the exact configuration you’re looking for ....
Overall I really like the mods and would recommend them.
Great post! - thank you for taking the time to post in such detail.

I’ve still got a handful of thin pb washers from my Ouroborous upgrade, so may see if replacing the ex. thicker washer with 2 or more thinner one on the cf scale side helps, if I notice any difference, of course.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have now received the CF Flytanium scale from a European retailer and have fitted it.

Fits superbly well.
Feels great in the hand and in the pocket.
No discernible degradation of the action.
Weighs so much less it feels like an entirely different knife.

It is possibly less suited to cutting girders in the Shabazz Vaseline factory now, but is much improved as an edc. I’m anticipating even more improvement when the Lynch clip eventually lands on this side of the pond.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Good for you, I do so like carbon fiber. Post pics when you can.