Sal and Co. DIY edgeless blanks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a semi-finished blade you finish?

Yes, this would be an epic addition!!!
13%
No, I don’t like it one bit...
65%
Maybe, but it would have to be affordable.
10%
Maybe, but it would have to be Super Steel!
13%

Total votes: 48

Evil D

Re: Sal and Co. DIY edgeless blanks?

Post by Evil D »

Dodge wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 pm
Wow, didn’t know I was such a controversial topic starter!!

I see all sides of the arguments, but I still
Think it would be super cool if they had a DIY sprint even of a Delica or PM2 that a father and son could work on, or I could try and do a zero edge chisel grind on.

We've had some discussion about a Spyderco "custom shop" where you can pick your model/steel/handle material but it has been shot down my Spyderco. I've never heard of it being a reputation destroying idea though, just not something that fits in with their business practices. I think sometimes people just don't like an idea and argue it into the ground for the sake of argument and I just don't get it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I think I understand why spyderco would decide to avoid a program like this, and I totally respect that.
Also, I’m not really into it. But I am very confused about why customers would vote against more options. That doesn’t make sense to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sabb8pro2 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:53 am
I am very confused about why customers would vote against more options. That doesn’t make sense to me.
More work with no upside. Reprofiling a blank blade would take a lot longer than reprofiling a 20dps edge. What's the benefit?
:unicorn
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:40 am
sabb8pro2 wrote:
I am very confused about why customers would vote against more options. That doesn’t make sense to me.
More work with no upside. Reprofiling a blank blade would take a lot longer than reprofiling a 20dps edge. What's the benefit?
All of the reasons mentioned in this thread. None of them appeal to me specifically either, but that doesn’t make it a bad idea.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sabb8pro2 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
sabb8pro2 wrote:
All of the reasons mentioned in this thread. None of them appeal to me specifically either, but that doesn’t make it a bad idea.
I looked over it and saw it mentioned you could put your own edge on it.

You can do that with a knife that already has an edge too, and there's less steel to remove, taking less time to put on your edge.

I don't get it?
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:21 pm
sabb8pro2 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
sabb8pro2 wrote:
I looked over it and saw it mentioned you could put your own edge on it.

You can do that with a knife that already has an edge too, and there's less steel to remove, taking less time to put on your edge.

I don't get it?

You're definitely not wrong about it being more work most of the time but the advantage I see is that I may end up with a blade that's thinner behind the edge if I put the bevel on myself vs fixing an uneven bevel. An example of this is Nate's Manix 2 that I fixed the bevel on, by the time both sides were even and at the same angle the bevel was twice as wide as it started out and the behind the edge thickness was significantly thicker.

To go back to my original post, this seems like less of an issue since robots started cutting bevels, so this may be a moot point. It has been a few years since I bought a knife with uneven bevels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David