Sal and Co. DIY edgeless blanks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a semi-finished blade you finish?

Yes, this would be an epic addition!!!
13%
No, I don’t like it one bit...
65%
Maybe, but it would have to be affordable.
10%
Maybe, but it would have to be Super Steel!
13%

Total votes: 48

Dodge

Sal and Co. DIY edgeless blanks?

Post by Dodge »

Sal and crew, what if you all made a hardened Delica or Para 2 blade blank. It would be finished except for the edge? It would give edge junkies a chance to put their own on.
Last edited by Dodge on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Re: DIY edgeless blanks...

Post by JD Spydo »

That's quite an interesting thought. And I wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco were to do something like that. Especially with all the talk we have about grinds, edge types, angles and overall edge geometry. I'm sure it would fill a void with super steel junkies and maybe even amateur knife makers too.

It would also open up a bigger market for these supersteel blades. Good to see you back posting again Dodge :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Pretty limited market for these which would also have the effect of taking production time and resources which are already limited. It would also likely be more expensive than you are thinking it would be.

Joe
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

What about trying this with a Spyderco Trainer? Many different styles come out with unsharpened trainer blades. Not sure if they are hardened.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm
What about trying this with a Spyderco Trainer? Many different styles come out with unsharpened trainer blades. Not sure if they are hardened.
The only problems I see with the trainer are the holes in the blade and the fact that it would no longer be a trainer,despite looking lik one. I was just looking for a semi finished blade I could swap in to an existing handle.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Pretty limited market for these which would also have the effect of taking production time and resources which are already limited. It would also likely be more expensive than you are thinking it would be.

Joe
There are niche knives that come out each year with Spyderco. I didn’t post an expectation of price so I don’t know how you would know what I think is reasonable. This would also be an opportunity for people with whatever user they decided to make the blank for to keep theirs going strong. It was just a conversation starter.

Dodge

Post by Dodge »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 am
That's quite an interesting thought. And I wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco were to do something like that. Especially with all the talk we have about grinds, edge types, angles and overall edge geometry. I'm sure it would fill a void with super steel junkies and maybe even amateur knife makers too.

It would also open up a bigger market for these supersteel blades. Good to see you back posting again Dodge :)
It would definitely scratch an itch for quite a few people.

Thanks man, it’s been a few and I’m home sick today so I fired up the ol’ forum and started clacking away!

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Joe
I agree, very limited market for sure. It never hurts to ask but I don't see this happening.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Dodge wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:57 am

It would definitely scratch an itch for quite a few people.

Thanks man, it’s been a few and I’m home sick today so I fired up the ol’ forum and started clacking away!

You could also reach out to razoredgeknives. They do custom reblades, and could probably get you what you want. Not sure about pricing though. Only they can answer that. You would just have to request they not put a secondary bevel and final edge on. Check out their website and see the reblades they’ve done.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 pm
You could also reach out to razoredgeknives. They do custom reblades, and could probably get you what you want. Not sure about pricing though. Only they can answer that. You would just have to request they not put a secondary bevel and final edge on. Check out their website and see the reblades they’ve done.
Thanks, it appears they have closed their books on reblades.

JacksonKnives

Re: Sal and Co. DIY edgeless blanks?

Post by JacksonKnives »

The other difficulty with offering this as a stocked part number is that some parts will be a better or worse for for some handles. Spyderco's manufacturing process seems pretty finely-tuned, but with something like a backlock you'd often disappoint people.

You wouldn't really save much money; sure, if Spyderco were to build a new factory and process around unfinished blades it would be possible to save on time and overhead, but splitting a part off a running production line doesn't change the overhead cost that went into getting that run started. I'm sure Spyderco can (and does) make extra blades and other parts in their process, but that doesn't mean it's something they can reasonably offer to dozens or even a hundred people through a working retail supply chain.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I didn’t post an expectation of price so I don’t know how you would know what I think is reasonable.
My guess is they would cost as much as a fully finished knife if they are done in relatively small batches.

Joe
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sure, I like the idea, especially for the PM2.

It is unlikely to happen no doubt, for the reasons people have mentioned. I daresay there might be slight variances between lock dimensions over time as well, due to CQI.

But I still like the idea. Axes and knives used to come ‘edge ready’ with the understanding that the customer had the skills and knowledge to put exactly the kind of final edge grind they preferred on their tools. They often still do in Japan.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Since the edge is always more acute than the flat sides of the knife, that would mean a "blank" with just a full flat grind without a bevel would be slightly longer/taller than a finished knife. That means your blade may not be able to close properly from the factory (may hit the backspacker, etc.). So workers may not be able to check for fit and finish all around, such as detent or lock-up, on knives that can't close all the way. I foresee some potential issues here.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 pm
Since the edge is always more acute than the flat sides of the knife, that would mean a "blank" with just a full flat grind without a bevel would be slightly longer/taller than a finished knife. That means your blade may not be able to close properly from the factory (may hit the backspacker, etc.). So workers may not be able to check for fit and finish all around, such as detent or lock-up, on knives that can't close all the way. I foresee some potential issues here.
Yeah there's quite a lot of issues which would hinder actual production. In the spirit of brainstorming the idea though, I think blades of the past just had a fairly coarse, obtuse edge bevel applied, with the understanding that it was meant to be sharpened properly before use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We discussed this a few years ago back when edge bevels were ground by hand and sometimes came very irregular. At the time I would buy a knife and immediately reprofile it so the bevels were even, and that always meant my blade was instantly getting thicker because of it. Back then I would have said yes absolutely I'd rather grind my own edge bevel but these days since they're ground by a robot they seem far more consistent and acceptable and it's been a while since I felt the need to reprofile a new knife. I guess it would depend on cost, if this were a significantly cheaper option I'd buy a couple blades just for experimenting with lower edge angles.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

You could call it the Spyderco Blunt

:D :D

Plenty of blanks you can buy from knife making supplies websites.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Considering my biggest pet peeve is having to immediately reprofile a knife out of the box (looking at you Taichung) I think this sounds terrible. At least a wonky and obtuse edge already has some of the work done.

I don’t mind having to sharpen a new knife. I dislike having to pour four fingers of whiskey and break out the coarse stones for an hour of reprofiling on a new knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

As much as I enjoy sharpening I also enjoy using a knife out of the box and not having to sharpen it immediately.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What's keeping you from putting your custom edge on a fully ground knife? I don't see the point of this.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"