Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sparty569

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by sparty569 »

This looks like a REALLY nice fixed blade for EDC. Better steel, Micarta handle and good size.

I just wish in Michigan, at least, Fixed blades wheren't treated as firearms, and if your shirt covers it, it is considered concealed. I could see ditching a folding knife for a good fixed blade.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sparty569 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 am
This looks like a REALLY nice fixed blade for EDC. Better steel, Micarta handle and good size.

I just wish in Michigan, at least, Fixed blades wheren't treated as firearms, and if your shirt covers it, it is considered concealed. I could see ditching a folding knife for a good fixed blade.
https://streamable.com/pv0v2q

What about something like that? No more concealed than a folder.
:unicorn
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 pm
sparty569 wrote:

Michigan laws are weird. I have a SOG Instinct. 2.3". I can open carry that, but as soon as my shirt, jacket, hoodie, whatever covers it, it is considered concealed.

In Michigan Open Carry means 100% fully visible. So even though I carry a 3.25" Folding knife that is legal, I cannot easily carry a 2.3" fixed blade. I would always be concerned it is going to be covered.

Not even in pocket, with a clip. 100% visible. I hate that they treat fixed blades like firearms.
Last edited by sparty569 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Oh I didn't realize the laws were that harsh for fixed blades. That's no fun. I'm lucky to have the laws we have here I suppose.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm
Finally found one?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

This is a sheath from Mr Welke. I modified the top with a dremel to help index my index finger. I carry it (with an also modified G-clip) at about 11:00. On small knives I typically opt to have taco style sheathes for horizontal cross draw.
B818F0AE-062A-4CED-BCA4-1759D0078B84.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:06 pm
vivi wrote:
Finally found one?
Yep, brand new. Even has the old insert explaining the Gclip.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:06 pm
vivi wrote:
Finally found one?
Yep, brand new. Even has the old insert explaining the Gclip.
Nice! Not that much of a weight penalty, for a much better looking knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah, its gorgeous for sure. This one still hasn't even been in a sheath yet. It'll be a bit before I carry it. I want to take tons of photos of it and my NIB LW side by side for my review before I scratch it up. I plan to write about the history of the model and detail all the differences between the two runs.

Also the armatus sheath should be here in a few days. So I should get a chance to play around with that for my review as well.

I hope I can write a piece that gets more members here interested in the sprint I've been pushing for.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I know when I got mine a few years ago, it became a permanent addition, the second I held it. Soon after, I started looking into Mr. Perrin, further.

I've got a few pieces being made by him, that I am extremely excited about.

(Im)patiently waiting. :D

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

The weight difference is a little wider than I remembered.

Street Beat - 3.44oz

Street Beat LW NIB - 2.99oz

Street Beat LW user - 3.05oz

Thought the user would be lighter from grinding a thinner bevel, but those are the weights I got.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mine weighs out to a pant-sagging 3.35oz. :D

As for the weight increase of the user. Perhaps, the handle has absorbed skin oils, or is otherwise burdened by foreign material?

-Thomas Jefferson
RLR

Post by RLR »

I had a sheath made by on-scene tactical for mine (micarta) and it is perfect. Don’t know if he still does them. Website still up and running.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:smiling-hearts

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:54 pm
:smiling-hearts

7 private messages waiting!? Mr Popular over here :party-face hahaha
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I still have the Patadese on the forum banner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sparty569 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
vivi wrote:
sparty569 wrote:

Michigan laws are weird. I have a SOG Instinct. 2.3". I can open carry that, but as soon as my shirt, jacket, hoodie, whatever covers it, it is considered concealed.

In Michigan Open Carry means 100% fully visible. So even though I carry a 3.25" Folding knife that is legal, I cannot easily carry a 2.3" fixed blade. I would always be concerned it is going to be covered.

Not even in pocket, with a clip. 100% visible. I hate that they treat fixed blades like firearms.
Hey Brother I've got to ask you a question pertaining to Michigan knife laws. When I was still a member of AKTI (American Knife & Tool Institute) which is a great knife rights organization. At that time they were in a battle with the state of Michigan because the state wanted to outlaw folders with locking systems.

I never heard the ultimate outcome of that. I hope to GOD above that they didn't do that. That was the most insane thing I ever heard. Because anyone with an I.Q. in the double digit range knows that locks are basically a safety feature on folding knives. But the last I heard it seemed like AKTI was convincing them that locks were mostly a safety feature.

So any information you might have on that I would be interested to know. And feel free to PM me if there is a lot involved. I need to renew my membership in AKTI and I encourage all the rest of you guys/gals to do the same.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:09 am
sparty569 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
vivi wrote:
sparty569 wrote:

Hey Brother I've got to ask you a question pertaining to Michigan knife laws. When I was still a member of AKTI (American Knife & Tool Institute) which is a great knife rights organization. At that time they were in a battle with the state of Michigan because the state wanted to outlaw folders with locking systems.

I never heard the ultimate outcome of that. I hope to GOD above that they didn't do that. That was the most insane thing I ever heard. Because anyone with an I.Q. in the double digit range knows that locks are basically a safety feature on folding knives. But the last I heard it seemed like AKTI was convincing them that locks were mostly a safety feature.

So any information you might have on that I would be interested to know. And feel free to PM me if there is a lot involved. I need to renew my membership in AKTI and I encourage all the rest of you guys/gals to do the same.
Hey man, so pretty much all knives are legal in Michigan now. Folders are good, as long as they are not a double edge stabbing device. OTF's, assisted, etc.

---------
From https://www.bladescout.com/michigan-knife-law/
LEGAL
The balisong knife which is also called butterfly knife is legal. There are several other legal knives such as pocket knives, hunting knives, throwing stars and Bowie knives. Others include stilettos, daggers, dirks, large blade knives, dipstick blade, and belt buckle knife.

By Michigan state law, any knife that is legal to possess can be openly carried legally. However, this law is often superseded by local ordinances.

ILLEGAL
Michigan law prohibits owning, possessing, transporting, buying, selling, receiving or giving of switchblades, automatic knives or gravity knives.

It’s illegal to carry a knife which has a blade of a length longer than 3” if it’s carried with the intention of harming someone and this includes self-defense as an intent to harm.
---------

I carry a Mantra 3 daily, my buddy carries a Police 4 or a Microtech OTF. They say there is a 3" rule, but then say that anything folder can be carried concealed, as long as there is no intent to harm.

I wish they would just do the same for fixed blades. They would rather me carry a larger folder, than a smaller fixed blade. I CAN carry a fixed blade, BUT anytime I do, I am always super paranoid that no part of it is covered. Any covering, is considered concealed. So if my t-shirt, or hoodie covers it, I am technically illegal. Because of that I dont carry it often. I called my local popo, just to verify the law. He said that what I interpreted the law as was correct, but that if it was a smaller fixed blade, he wouldnt bother me over it. I said "That's great, but what about your buddies?"

I have also gotten a Mora chisel, to get around the pointed stabbing device.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ignore it and carry what you please, how you please.

-Thomas Jefferson