Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by JRinFL »

cali wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm
Not really. He still makes knives like that. Check out his Instagram fred.perrin.concepts
I have beet following him for years ;) I haven't seen such knife (with so undersized handle comparing to the blade) nowhere. I like new designs more.

I would like to see taco style sheath in the knife. About 8 years ago I had a Street Beat and I remember that wide, clumsy sheath was a deal breaker for me. All Fred Perrin customs and Max Knives versions have minimalist, taco style sheats, easier to carry and conceal.
Armatus Carry makes exactly what you want and at a decent price.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:20 pm
cali wrote:
TenGrainBread wrote:
Not really. He still makes knives like that. Check out his Instagram fred.perrin.concepts
I have beet following him for years ;) I haven't seen such knife (with so undersized handle comparing to the blade) nowhere. I like new designs more.

I would like to see taco style sheath in the knife. About 8 years ago I had a Street Beat and I remember that wide, clumsy sheath was a deal breaker for me. All Fred Perrin customs and Max Knives versions have minimalist, taco style sheats, easier to carry and conceal.
Armatus Carry makes exactly what you want and at a decent price.
That sheath looks great. I'm either going to order one or make a similar one on my own.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Either way, show us pictures!
I have two of the Armatus sheaths for my Bradfords. They are quality sheaths.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm going to try to start a minimalist street beat sheath tonight with some green kydex I've got. Only problem is I'm out of rivets. Gonna run to the hardware store and hopefully have something to post late tonight.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

cali wrote:
TenGrainBread wrote:

I have two custom sheaths for my Street Beat, one a wide and flat sheath and one a minimalist taco style. Why would I want that? The taco style sheath has a tendency to rotate around under your shirt and when you reach for it you never know which way it is facing. The wide flat one stays in whatever orientation it starts in. I use one for neck carry and one for pocket carry. If you don’t neck carry ever then you might prefer the smaller sheath.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Darby,

Wise words on the twisting. We learned that some time ago from Mike J. Also beautiful knife and sheath in the pic.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Thanks Sal, you guys made the knife and our very own Xplorer made me the sheaths. It is actually red kydex on the other side to match the paracord. He’s got skills and an aesthetic eye, that’s for sure.

Glad I scored a micarta Street Beat, they are sharp looking knives for sure.
-Darby
cali

Post by cali »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 pm
I have two custom sheaths for my Street Beat, one a wide and flat sheath and one a minimalist taco style. Why would I want that? The taco style sheath has a tendency to rotate around under your shirt and when you reach for it you never know which way it is facing. The wide flat one stays in whatever orientation it starts in. I use one for neck carry and one for pocket carry. If you don’t neck carry ever then you might prefer the smaller sheath.
Frankly speaking I hate neck carry, I usually pocket/IWB carry small fixed blades.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:42 pm
Darby, this photo is probably the #1 reason why I am still hunting for a (reasonably priced) Street Beat Micarta. I love the colors and the knife just looks sweet. (The P4 is no slouch either! ;) )

I am still kicking myself for passing on these when they were on closeout, and also on the few I've had a chance to get for a reasonable price. Timing just didn't work out.

I'm still hoping a Sprint comes along at some point.
bearfacedkiller

cali wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Frankly speaking I hate neck carry, I usually pocket/IWB carry small fixed blades.
I think a lot of people do. I only do it at certain times. It works well when backpacking or fishing. It also works well when you are wearing athletic shorts.

I realize a lot of people hate it, I was just sharing why some makers choose the larger flatter sheath.
-Darby
vivi

Post by vivi »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:34 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Darby, this photo is probably the #1 reason why I am still hunting for a (reasonably priced) Street Beat Micarta. I love the colors and the knife just looks sweet. (The P4 is no slouch either! ;) )

I am still kicking myself for passing on these when they were on closeout, and also on the few I've had a chance to get for a reasonable price. Timing just didn't work out.

I don't plan to shut up about this model until a sprint happens. :D

I've started writing a review and plan to shoot some videos over the next few weeks.
bearfacedkiller

It is a very beautiful and very functional knife. The only negative is that you either like the handle or you don’t.

I love it and I would be in for a sprint. It would be great if they could grind the edge thinner and please no unintentional recurve.
-Darby
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:37 pm
cali wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 pm
I think a lot of people do. I only do it at certain times. It works well when backpacking or fishing. It also works well when you are wearing athletic shorts.

I realize a lot of people hate it, I was just sharing why some makers choose the larger flatter sheath.

Yes, for me neck carry also is (just) for rarher specific occasions. It is especially good in winter mountaineering or skitouring when wearing thick and long jackets.

For one it can be unonvenient then to access a fixed blade on the hip
Wearing around the neck where one always can decide if over or beneath one or more layers works better.

But more often in winter I have a fixed blade in my pack and only use it in (cold) camp. There, when one reaches for a fixed blade that is too large for the pocket (most are) frequently, neck carry is very convinient for reasons mentioned above.

What I've heard (but this will be a myth most likely) is that neck carry was invevned by the lappis (a people in northern scandinavia): When breaking through the ice of a frozen lake one could still quickly access a neck carried knife and stab it into the ice for self rescue...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:17 pm
It is a very beautiful and very functional knife. The only negative is that you either like the handle or you don’t.

I love it and I would be in for a sprint. It would be great if they could grind the edge thinner and please no unintentional recurve.
For some reason the Street Beat handle fits me like a glove, despite preferring handle designs I can grip behind the index choil. It took a little getting used to in pinch grip for food prep but otherwise its always handled like a dream for me.

My old micarta one didn't have any recurve so I was surprised when my lightweight did. I prefer none as well for easier sharpening. I've got most of it sharpened out by now at least.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:06 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:34 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I don't plan to shut up about this model until a sprint happens. :D

I've started writing a review and plan to shoot some videos over the next few weeks.
I will be looking for the review and videos. Aside from this great photo, what really draws me to this knife is the smooth handles (similar to the South Fork's which I am a big fan of) and the deep index choil. Anyway, looking forward to your perspective.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Yeah I had a slow trigger finger on the Micarta Street Beat and now they're gone.

I've been hinting it would be a good call for someone to do as an exclusive. Imagine it in a nice tool steel like M4 with jade scales.
cali

Post by cali »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
There is an easy solution for the problem - a taco sheath also needs two holes at the top to provide two separate attachment points. Some kind of two-point attachment can be even done with a single hole.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I ended up ordering the Armatus sheath. Wanted to try theirs out, looks nice for pocket carry.

That's what I've got so far. I'm going to sand a little more off the edges to make it even more compact, and sand away a bit by the index choil so its left more exposed.

Can't find my box of sheath making supplies so until some new rivets come into the mail I have some cheap copper grommets from a craft kit holding things together. But they're not strong enough to actually use the sheath, so I've still been using the stock one.

One day I'll finish it :rolleyes:
bearfacedkiller

cali wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:37 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
There is an easy solution for the problem - a taco sheath also needs two holes at the top to provide two separate attachment points. Some kind of two-point attachment can be even done with a single hole.
My taco sheath has two holes at the top. It still rotates at times. The wide pancake sheath never has. It seems to be the width of the sheath that prevents rotation for me.
-Darby