Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by Sumdumguy »

Okay, so I finally saw the "Subway Bowie".

I much prefer the Street Beat. The Subway could possibly be nice if it was a carbon copy of the Street Beat, just smaller

If I had to choose only one, it would be the Street Beat. It is the perfect size for an edc fixed blade, with the perfect blade shape and handle. A masterpiece in the same league as the Caribbean in terms of design perfection(IMO)
Vivi wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:18 am
sal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:55 pm
I'd buy a couple LC200N Street Beats. That's a really good choice considering the intended function of the model.
YESSS! LET THE SALT FLOW THROUGH YOU!!! :spyder:

Edit: I'm coining the name now; Salt Beat!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just to add some extra emphasis on how much I love the Street Beat. Here's a picture of what I have on and/or near me at all times. I'm currently on a mini vacation with my wife in Gatlinburg and here they are!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Sal,

My preference for a new SB (production or sprint) would be to have a tool steel like K390 with a micarta handle. I would't mind a grippy texture on the handle, but I'd prefer it to be smooth micarta just like the original SB.
--Jeremy
KitsuneSan

Post by KitsuneSan »

I got a little carried away when I was polishing a pocket clip and figured I might as well try to remove the DLC from the streetbeat lightweight since it got scratched during my removal of the recurve. It's not perfect but I'm satisfied since i use it as hunting knife(should have bought a moran instead but it's too late).
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Sal,
K390 and a canvas micarta for the street beat would be ideal set up. I believe and would definitely be in for a few.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Street Beat and Street Bowie would be great knives to have in S45VN. But don't make just 1,200 of these, make them part of the regular lineup.

Knife Steel Nerds write up on S45VN
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/01/ ... 5vn-steel/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

KitsuneSan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:12 pm
I got a little carried away when I was polishing a pocket clip and figured I might as well try to remove the DLC from the streetbeat lightweight since it got scratched during my removal of the recurve. It's not perfect but I'm satisfied since i use it as hunting knife(should have bought a moran instead but it's too late).
That looks good! If I scratch mine up enough I may try the same thing. Might be quicker starting with a chemical based paint stripper first, that's how I do my ESEE's.
:unicorn
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'd love to see this come back in Micarta - either polished, like the original, or left textured.
Unclad HAP40?
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 am
I'd love to see this come back in Micarta - either polished, like the original, or left textured.
Unclad HAP40?
I'd be in for a couple.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 am
Unclad HAP40?
Sounds good to me! HAP40 was another steel I had in mind.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 pm
I just want a Micarta Street Beat in LC200N. I would thrash it!

Heck, I would settle for a blank blade like the Mules/Swicks and make my own handle!
I could go for a Salt Series LC200N STREETBEAT model if they would offer it up in PE & SE both. To me to have a Salt Series knife for use in harsh environments and not to be available in SE is kind of self defeating in a way.

If they did make a Salt Series version of the STREETBEAT I really wouldn't need a Micarta handle if they would make it with a grippy G-10 handle instead.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:41 pm
The Street Beat and Street Bowie would be great knives to have in S45VN. But don't make just 1,200 of these, make them part of the regular lineup.

Knife Steel Nerds write up on S45VN
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/11/01/ ... 5vn-steel/
I've never tried that steel as of yet but I bet the STREETBEAT would be a great model to have in one of the newer/better blade steels.

There are just so many of these older models that if they were to bring them back in newer/better materials I bet they would go over big.
Kissaki

Post by Kissaki »

I'm a big Street Beat fan and this thread prompted me to stop lurking and join the forum.

While Fred Perrin's designs are self-defense focused, what I really liked about the original SB was its EDC functionality and non-tactical look. The ergonomics are amazing, the cutting performance is top notch (flat ground, Japanese VG-10 speaks for itself), and the size coupled with the classy, non-threatening appearance makes for a wonderful carry knife. I replaced a Bud Nealy Pesh-Kabz with a SB and never looked back.

When the SB LW came out, I knew the original SB's days were numbered. I suspect many consumers viewed the original as just too expensive for a small fixed blade. Especially given the marketplace, where beefier, under 4” blades (Fallkniven F1, for example) could be had for less money. No doubt sales started to dwindle the moment the SB LW arrived. And why not, considering you could get original SB performance and ease of carry for a much easier on the wallet price.

In its original and current form, the SB seems to have a dedicated following, and it's nice to see people thinking out loud about the knife's future. Considering that, I'll add my two cents.

First off, I think a sprint run of the current SB LW with a satin VG-10 blade would make those of us who appreciate the design (and aren't into black-bladed knives) very happy. Too many scratches and too much of an intimidating appearance to anyone not into tactical knives, turned me off black EDC blades some time ago. Keep the MSRP close to the current SB LW price; arguably, one of the best values on the market for a quality, small fixed blade.

I'll also make a pitch for a sheath redesign. The current SB sheath is fine for concealed carry, but from an aesthetics standpoint, is less than optimal for belt carry. The shiny rivets and shape really draw attention to the sheath when worn outside the waistband. In my opinion, the original SB and current Moran sheaths are much better suited, in terms of low-profile appearance. Since many states don't allow concealed, fixed blade carry, but do permit open, belt carry, an unobtrusive sheath would really be nice. (Yes, I'm aware of third-party, custom sheath options. But considering Spyderco's design prowess, I know Sal and company could make a cost-effective, production sheath for the SB, worthy of Dieter Rams if they set their minds to it.)

As for a sprint run of the original SB, I suspect it would sell well, given current secondary market prices and comments that regularly appear on various Internet forums from people lamenting not purchasing before they were discontinued. I'd be perfectly happy with another one in VG-10, but I get consumer mindset in wanting the “latest and greatest” steel. M390 might be a candidate, in this case; LionSteel seems to be having good luck with it in their M1, which is a little smaller than the SB. LC200N wouldn't have much utility for me, as I don't view the SB as a water knife. For scales, I feel G10 is too abrasive when carrying concealed next to bare skin, so stick with Micarta. The choil design locks your hand in anyway, so extra grippiness isn't required. Whatever the scale material, pick a color that gives the knife an elegant look. I think a fair number of people missed out on the fact that the original SB was a classy, all-around, EDC fixed blade that could transform into a wolf in sheep's clothing at a moment's notice. Finally, the sheath. I really like Spyderco pairing leather sheaths with certain models, these days. Perhaps a nice leather sheath for an original SB sprint (compatible with the SB LW and also sold as an accessory)?

Thanks for the chance to weigh in, Sal. Looking forward to seeing what happens next in the SB saga. Oh, and if that slick Subway Bowie makes it to market, please consider using Street in its name, too. A little brother would make a nice addition to the current Street product family.

K
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kissaki,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for joining and sharing thought. That's what this forum is all about.

FYI, Fred was kind enough to make his latest version of the "Subway Bowie" for me. Which I received yesterday.

sal
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I actually handled a Street Beat LW in person the other day, and I must say that all of my misgivings about the handle (compared to the micarta of the original) went out the window. I loved it, and I'm definitely planning on picking one up soon. Heck, maybe tomorrow.

With that said, I'd be fine if a sprint run kept the LW handle and we got a different blade steel. Preferably uncoated and some unclad carbon steel - like K390 or CruWear.
--Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

It would have to be a Japanese steel. This maker has not worked with other steels.

The Street Bet is an exceptional small fixed blade from a great designer. The Micarta version, while very elegant, was also very expensive. I'm Also impressed with the Subway Bowie.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Have the Japanese factories started working with LC200N yet?

We could always go the blank route like the Mules. I'd love that!
I have a lot of stuff that would look much better as handles, than blocks.

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

One of our Japanese makers has worked with LC and we'll see more from them.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Fantastic, I look forward to seeing them!

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

LC Streetbeat! Heck yeah!