Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomH

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by TomH »

Hope to see a Spyderco version of the Subway Bowie in the near future. I know several people who love the Perrin designed Spydercos, but want something smaller for edc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At the risk of sounding like an LP vinyl record album with a "skip" in it>> I still would like to see a STREETBEAT model in full SE.

I think most of Spyderco's fixed blades ( especially the smaller ones) would benefit if offered in SE.

I'm really looking forward to this "Subway Bowie".
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:18 pm
It would have to be a Japanese steel. This maker has not worked with other steels.
In that case, I'll go with one of my earlier recommendations of unclad SuperBlue. Or maybe YXR7 - I don't know if Spyderco has used that in anything before, but I think it's a Japanese steel.
--Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 pm
LC Streetbeat! Heck yeah!
That maker has not worked with LC. Sorry

sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 am
Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 pm
LC Streetbeat! Heck yeah!
That maker has not worked with LC. Sorry

sal
No problem and thanks for the clarification.

When i had posted in response to SDG mentioning LC, I had missed your earlier post where you said that it would be a Japanese steel.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I always wanted to try a Micarta SB but never did, now the price is crazy for what it really is.

That said, I'd be all in for a re-release of both a Micarta and a LW version with different steels.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I was thinking on it today, and I think an unclad Hap40 Street Beat would be pretty awesome. Either handle (or both) and I'll buy a pair of 'em regardless. Although if they go with the FRN maybe they could make it dark blue or something?
--Jeremy
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Deep crimson scales, leather laynard with skull bead, leather IWB or convertible sheath, skullhead rivets.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Sal, anyway you could post pic of the subway Fred made? I searched and can’t find one?

Never mind, found it buried in thread, didn’t show up at first :)
Warm regards,
Dave
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Does anyone know of a nice leather sheath that works well with the street beat?
V-1.5 aka V-1

Post by V-1.5 aka V-1 »

I'd be in for a green or natural micarta handled model with an uncoated blade. I'd be happy with VG-10 or better.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Polecat,

Fred's model is very nice. We showed it at SHOT show. I spoke with Fred and got permission to make a production version. We've drawn the model ( trademark hole, etc. ) and we'll be making in-house protos. My preference for a sheath would be Sheathpro Boltaron sheath for neck, belt or pocket carry. Then they will go the the maker for their proto, tooling, sample and production. We won't be able to show it until we're within 6 months of delivery.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 am
Hi Polecat,

Fred's model is very nice. We showed it at SHOT show. I spoke with Fred and got permission to make a production version. We've drawn the model ( trademark hole, etc. ) and we'll be making in-house protos. My preference for a sheath would be Sheathpro Boltaron sheath for neck, belt or pocket carry. Then they will go the the maker for their proto, tooling, sample and production. We won't be able to show it until we're within 6 months of delivery.

sal
Any update on the Subway Bowie?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cali

Post by cali »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:14 am
I am intrigued. Does anybody have more information about this knife or the original one?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

cali wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:30 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:14 am
I am intrigued. Does anybody have more information about this knife or the original one?
There's a picture on the first page. It's just a mini-version of the Street Beat, essentially.

Personally, at neck knife size, Perrin's Griffe is a much more usable design to me than a tiny Street Bowie. But that's what we have the Swick for :D
cali

Post by cali »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:10 pm
There's a picture on the first page. It's just a mini-version of the Street Beat, essentially.

Personally, at neck knife size, Perrin's Griffe is a much more usable design to me than a tiny Street Bowie. But that's what we have the Swick for :D
I understood that the knife on the first page was made 20 years ago. Something might have changed :) I hope :D
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

cali wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:15 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:10 pm

I understood that the knife on the first page was made 20 years ago. Something might have changed :) I hope :D
Not really. He still makes knives like that. Check out his Instagram fred.perrin.concepts
cali

Post by cali »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm
Not really. He still makes knives like that. Check out his Instagram fred.perrin.concepts
I have beet following him for years ;) I haven't seen such knife (with so undersized handle comparing to the blade) nowhere. I like new designs more.

I would like to see taco style sheath in the knife. About 8 years ago I had a Street Beat and I remember that wide, clumsy sheath was a deal breaker for me. All Fred Perrin customs and Max Knives versions have minimalist, taco style sheats, easier to carry and conceal.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

cali wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 pm
I have beet following him for years ;) I haven't seen such knife (with so undersized handle comparing to the blade) nowhere. I like new designs more.

I would like to see taco style sheath in the knife. About 8 years ago I had a Street Beat and I remember that wide, clumsy sheath was a deal breaker for me. All Fred Perrin customs and Max Knives versions have minimalist, taco style sheats, easier to carry and conceal.
I agree, I like the wrapping sheath style. The sheath with rivets on both sides is wider, maybe a few more options for attachment to a tactical vest, but I'd rather have a smaller footprint for IWB and pocket carry.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I wish I would of gotten one of the micarta handle Street beats when they were still available :(