Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marty_bill_

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by marty_bill_ »

20191214_152837-1440x1920.jpg
20191214_152939-1440x1920.jpg
So I've discovered a new way to pack fix blades and am giving it go. https://discreetcarryconcepts.com/ makes these clips that can go on sheaths or holsters. I saw a knife made by Amtac knives and it's what they use for rfp carry or anyway you desire. I have to drill out the other hole on my SB sheath to get a Chicago screw to work and I wanted to try it out before I go that far. I hate packing on a belt so this is a cool option. The clips come in a variety of different lengths so with a longer one I could get the knife deeper in my pocket, but this will work for now. I bought 2 different lengths and put a longer one on a different knife that's much bigger. A Half face blades crow model. So I'll let ya'll know what problems I encounter or if this works out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:48 pm
20191214_152837-1440x1920.jpg20191214_152939-1440x1920.jpg
So I've discovered a new way to pack fix blades and am giving it go. https://discreetcarryconcepts.com/ makes these clips that can go on sheaths or holsters. I saw a knife made by Amtac knives and it's what they use for rfp carry or anyway you desire. I have to drill out the other hole on my SB sheath to get a Chicago screw to work and I wanted to try it out before I go that far. I hate packing on a belt so this is a cool option. The clips come in a variety of different lengths so with a longer one I could get the knife deeper in my pocket, but this will work for now. I bought 2 different lengths and put a longer one on a different knife that's much bigger. A Half face blades crow model. So I'll let ya'll know what problems I encounter or if this works out.
This is one reason I swapped my g-clip to left hand carry. Lets me clip it to my pocket similar to how you're doing it. I usually carry on my belt but sometimes clipped to a pocket works better, like when I'm wearing a pack with a hip belt.

When I carry it on my belt I slip the sheath between my belt and my pants. The tension from my belt helps it stay in the same place, and its easier to unclip.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think I'll carry my Street Beat tomorrow. It's supposed to snow, maybe I'll be able to get a decent picture for once(doubtful).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I got mine not even 2 weeks ago and I love it. Have been carrying it every day. I like it as a backup knife, and really like being able to have a fixed blade thats easy to conceal, and no one knows I have. Im definitely going to carry it daily in the winter. Maybe not so much when its shorts weather again, but Im thinking anytime I have a belt Ill have this.

The ergos are amazing. I thought I would be upset that the handle had no texturing but given the handle design you are really not going to lose grip on this thing. The frn is definitely a different recipe too. Much harder and less plastic feeling than any of the other frn Ive handled.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tims

Post by Tims »

I lusted after the micarta Street Beat for ages, It was discoed and fetching big $s so never got one.

If the micarta model was to roll back around I would get one for sure. Nothing wrong with the frn model but to me, it doesn’t have the soul of the micarta model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 am
I lusted after the micarta Street Beat for ages, It was discoed and fetching big $s so never got one.

If the micarta model was to roll back around I would get one for sure. Nothing wrong with the frn model but to me, it doesn’t have the soul of the micarta model.
I've handled them both and while I like the looks of the original better, I prefer using the FRN version. You're missing out!

I'd love it if we could get a carbon steel micarta scaled sprint with all the updates of the FRN version.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:43 am
Tims wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:31 am

I've handled them both and while I like the looks of the original better, I prefer using the FRN version. You're missing out!

I'd love it if we could get a carbon steel micarta scaled sprint with all the updates of the FRN version.
I’d prefer stainless as I would probably carry it close to body but if it’s wearing micarta, I could be swayed.

I may yet get a lightweight but if I go modern tacticool I might get a Gryphon Terzuola M10. Nice rig for $100 :o

sal

Post by sal »

I like that "Subway Bowie". I'll try to get Fred to make one for me.

sal
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Vivi wrote:

Dang it, Vivi. You're going to finally get me to try the FRN version of the SB. Just when I thought I was done buying for the year. I doubt it will push the micarta handled version from my pocket though - nothing is more comfortable.

Also, I'm still dreaming of a K390, Rex45 or CruWear micarta Street Beat.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Vivi wrote:

Dang it, Vivi. You're going to finally get me to try the FRN version of the SB. Just when I thought I was done buying for the year. I doubt it will push the micarta handled version from my pocket though - nothing is more comfortable.

Also, I'm still dreaming of a K390, Rex45 or CruWear micarta Street Beat.
You and me both.

My favorite fixed blade to carry before I got the SB was my Izula 2. Comparing it to the SB, the thing I miss most is getting to watch a patina develop.

On the other hand, the current version is nice for times you get caught in a downpour while hiking.

I made an ebay accont to watch for a C95 Manix. Maybe I'll track down an original Street Beat too, if I'm lucky.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 pm
You and me both.

My favorite fixed blade to carry before I got the SB was my Izula 2. Comparing it to the SB, the thing I miss most is getting to watch a patina develop.

On the other hand, the current version is nice for times you get caught in a downpour while hiking.

I made an ebay accont to watch for a C95 Manix. Maybe I'll track down an original Street Beat too, if I'm lucky.
Dude, you nailed it! I want a SB that can develop a patina!

I just bought a back up SB off eBay a couple months ago. It was expensive. Good luck finding one though - the micarta handle is soo comfortable - it's worth it.
--Jeremy
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just want a Micarta Street Beat in LC200N. I would thrash it!

Heck, I would settle for a blank blade like the Mules/Swicks and make my own handle!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Ooh you know what else would be nice? A Street Beat in solid, unclad Superblue with a micarta handle. Since that's highly unlikely, I'd also say 52100 would be welcome too.
--Jeremy
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like having options, and I know I just got one of these knives. But I really think the frn vg10 spyderco version is as good as it should be in terms of materials and production cost. Im not saying there isnt one or two tweaks to the design I would like to see, but I still want the knife to be what it is.

Its a small, bowie or even possibly self defense oriented fixed blade. If its getting constantly carried by non knife people it doesnt need a tool steel. If its treated in the same aspect as a tool then handle material doesnt matter.

I guess Im saying there are alot of small fixed blades out there for general utility with better steel x, or better handle construction y.

I do however see how this argument runs in the opposite direction. Why not a small fixed blade with even worse steel and handle at a cheaper price. For me though I think at least in terms of the materials and construction the stret beat is right where it should be.

At what point is a full tang micarta handle tool steel fixed blade of a different design not enough?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:26 pm
I like having options, and I know I just got one of these knives. But I really think the frn vg10 spyderco version is as good as it should be in terms of materials and production cost. Im not saying there isnt one or two tweaks to the design I would like to see, but I still want the knife to be what it is.

Its a small, bowie or even possibly self defense oriented fixed blade. If its getting constantly carried by non knife people it doesnt need a tool steel. If its treated in the same aspect as a tool then handle material doesnt matter.

I guess Im saying there are alot of small fixed blades out there for general utility with better steel x, or better handle construction y.

I do however see how this argument runs in the opposite direction. Why not a small fixed blade with even worse steel and handle at a cheaper price. For me though I think at least in terms of the materials and construction the stret beat is right where it should be.
But, but... I already have those! Me want MOAR!
BETTER STEEL! PRETTY HANDLE! *grunt*

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Guy,

The maker can use most Japanese steels, but exotic steels raise the cost. What are you thinking for handles?

I'm also looking into the Subway Bowie version.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:55 pm
Hi Guy,

The maker can use most Japanese steels, but exotic steels raise the cost. What are you thinking for handles?

sal
If I'm ignoring cost, I'd say uncoated K390 & forest green canvas micarta scales with a grippy texture rather than the smooth feel of the original street beat. Scale color similar to the old Hossom fixed blades, those were beautiful.

If I'm thinking economical, what about vtoku2 and colored FRN? Maybe use the same green as the old Street Bowie? That would sell pretty close to the current version I'd imagine, based on the prices on the vtoku folders.

That subway bowie is neat, I'd pick one up if you produce one.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Hi Guy,

sal
If possible, LC200N is always at the top of my list.

As for the handle, micarta gets my vote. But if we needed to keep the price down, without ditching LC200N, it could be handleless like the mules(if it were production).

I think, if done as a Sprint in LC200N, with a micarta handle, it would be a quick mover(<1200 piece run). Perhaps a light banana cream color to honor the Saltiness without being too flashy?

Otherwise, if done as a production knife, I would make it like the mules and omit the handles. It would keep the price down and give more people the chance to experience the design.

The Sprint option would definitely be the safer bet, by far. It would probably move very quickly.

The handleless production option is more risky due to the potential for stagnant inventory, but it would substantially lower both the material/labor costs, as well as the time it takes up of valuable production capacity.

Also, I've seen you mention the Subway Bowie a few times. I would love to hear some more details and how it would compare to the Street.

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:18 am
sal wrote:
Hi Guy,

sal
If possible, LC200N is always at the top of my list.

As for the handle, micarta gets my vote. But if we needed to keep the price down, without ditching LC200N, it could be handleless like the mules(if it were production).

I think, if done as a Sprint in LC200N, with a micarta handle, it would be a quick mover(<1200 piece run). Perhaps a light banana cream color to honor the Saltiness without being too flashy?

Otherwise, if done as a production knife, I would make it like the mules and omit the handles. It would keep the price down and give more people the chance to experience the design.

The Sprint option would definitely be the safer bet, by far. It would probably move very quickly.

The handleless production option is more risky due to the potential for stagnant inventory, but it would substantially lower both the material/labor costs, as well as the time it takes up of valuable production capacity.

Also, I've seen you mention the Subway Bowie a few times. I would love to hear some more details and how it would compare to the Street.
I'd buy a couple LC200N Street Beats. That's a really good choice considering the intended function of the model.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

never really paid this much attention before but that first in-hand pic makes me sit up and take notice! - looks awesome with the micarta and satin blade - i never realised the size or lack of, i could deffo edc that. I have a similar sized muela but only has leather sheath - whilst pretty it dosnt give me the horizontal carry option which i like so i have it in a draw rather than trying to get a kydex sheath made
Looks like i will be looking at one of these now - deffo prefer the look of the original tho...
Attachments
C65CA3F8-BBC5-4264-B4BD-2E0D74F382BF.jpeg
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK