Street Beat Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Re: Street Beat Discussion

Post by kerrcobra »

I've loved the Street Beat for years. It's my favorite small fixed blade design. I have two of the micarta handle ones, and I've been put off by the FRN handled Street Beat LW, but after this thread I think I'm going to buy one and give it a shot.
--Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KitsuneSan,

Welcome to our forum. Hajimemashte.

With any of the classic designs that endure time, the designers knowledge and experience goes hand in hand with the design. Very few classic designs "just happen". They are the result of much time and attention to details that, while appear simple, are really evolved. Fred Perrin is one of those great designers.

sal
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Found the mini recurve....

Shooting for about 18dps to start with... not ever super thin... geeze this thing is FAT!!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Really cool blade and nice write up, thanks!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Personally, I think it functions better with the recurve. But then again, I'm a weirdo!

I love Perrin's work. I've been wanting to get a cutom from him for a while. Maybe soon!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

If I’m gonna have a recurve, I’d like it more pronounced. My example, is so minimal, it’s not even worth it... less than an inch toward the back of the blade, the way this tiny thing sits in hand it’ll probably never even cut anything back there
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm
If I’m gonna have a recurve, I’d like it more pronounced. My example, is so minimal, it’s not even worth it... less than an inch toward the back of the blade, the way this tiny thing sits in hand it’ll probably never even cut anything back there
Much to learn, you have! MMmm.

I would love for sal or someone to clarify, but I'm pretty sure the recurve is for hooking and imparting more power into slashes against limbs. I could be wrong, but I think I read that in an article by Perrin some years ago.

It may be small, but in the right hands it's very effective!
(insert joke here)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:21 pm
Much to learn, you have! MMmm.

I would love for sal or someone to clarify, but I'm pretty sure the recurve is for hooking and imparting more power into slashes against limbs. I could be wrong, but I think I read that in an article by Perrin some years ago.

It may be small, but in the right hands it's very effective!
(insert joke here)
Nah... if I’m gonna have a recurve, I’ve learned I like a more pronounced one such as this...

YMMV...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Always leaned towards bigger blades, the Mule Team is the same length blade as the Street Beat.

Good collection of steels too, 440B, 4V, INFI, 3V and MAXAMET.

The Belt Knife (One up from the bottom) is really about the smallest I would carry personally.

vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Found the mini recurve....

Shooting for about 18dps to start with... not ever super thin... geeze this thing is FAT!!!!
How's the Atoma working for reprofiling? Does the diamond layer move around on the steel plate any?
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It’s an aluminum plate. And no, no movement that I can detect.

I know you like to go thin... any idea what you set them wide bevels at?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 pm

It's been a while since I measured. I started out reprofiling with my diamond rods on a sharpmaker figuring they'd work better with the recurve. When I switched to the DMT the bevels got wider. I'd guess 10-12 dps. If anyone has suggestions for a cheap angle cube I'll pick one up so I can share more accurate measurements.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:57 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:25 pm

It's been a while since I measured. I started out reprofiling with my diamond rods on a sharpmaker figuring they'd work better with the recurve. When I switched to the DMT the bevels got wider. I'd guess 10-12 dps. If anyone has suggestions for a cheap angle cube I'll pick one up so I can share more accurate measurements.
That sounds about right. I’m shooting for between 17-20, I know that about by hand... the bevels on mine will be about normal looking at that point :D they were almost none existent when I got it and won’t be anywhere near as large as yours!

Might drop it down to 15 or so later on... but I thought this would be an easy start. I bet they were 30dps or more :eek:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ok so you're gonna laugh but I had an idea for measuring my edge.

I cut a 1 inch strip of soap off a bar, then submerged it under hot water for a minute to soften it up. Did a push cut straight down until I was at the top of the edge bevel, then measured the V notch left in the soap with a protractor.

I got 10 degrees per side with my highly advanced measurement system :D
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 am

I cut a 1 inch strip of soap off a bar, then submerged it under hot water for a minute to soften it up. Did a push cut straight down until I was at the top of the edge bevel, then measured the V notch left in the soap with a protractor.

That’s pretty great.... but even more so... THIN! I knew it was low by the size of them bevels. I don’t have patience for that :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I want one of these now. I like to carry small fixed blades in the winter when Im wearing jeans and/or a jacket. Dont know why ive waited so long. Probably get one on my next order after the holidays.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:14 pm
I have owned 3 of them over the years. Like I mentioned in another recent thread here on the Forum my late Best Friend used his STREETBEAT for his main EDC. He had a really cool ankle sheath and he was able to quickly deploy it almost faster than I could deploy my M390 Military model.
This is cool. I never gave much thought to boot knives because I dont wear boots. But I had never thought of a seperate ankle sheath. That would be great with long pants or jeans. Im already thinking of how to do it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vivi

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:48 am
Vivi wrote:

That’s pretty great.... but even more so... THIN! I knew it was low by the size of them bevels. I don’t have patience for that :D
I tend to do my work in sessions. I usually set the angle and stop shy of the apex, then finish up another day. At times I'll just do one side at a time. Sometimes if I spend a while working on an edge my technique starts to go, so I like to avoid working the apex when I'm getting sloppy.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am
prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:48 am
Vivi wrote:

I tend to do my work in sessions. I usually set the angle and stop shy of the apex, then finish up another day. At times I'll just do one side at a time. Sometimes if I spend a while working on an edge my technique starts to go, so I like to avoid working the apex when I'm getting sloppy.
I only did one side so far.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

20191201_093413-1440x1920.jpg
20191201_093340-1440x1920.jpg
I put off my street beat for a long time. And couldn't put it off no more. Got it a couple weeks ago and well I pack this thing everyday. But as mentioned above mine came not very sharp. So I reprofiled to 30° inclusive and now we are all good. I personally like the small amount of recurve. I would not want anything more, but this is good. The handle and grip is superb! Far exceeding what my expectations were. I threw some paracord through it for neck carry. I know most here don't like that method and that's cool, but for me it works best. That's my thoughts and my street beat is a success for me.