Regrinding the Nirvana?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Regrinding the Nirvana?

Post by DutchBlades »

I reckon I should just accept the fact that my Nirvana is doomed to show more and more (surface) rust.
All of my Spydies are cared for and not even my M4 models have ever shown a speck of rust.
I know others have complained about similar issues when using their Nirvana for a little while, so I've kept it in a display case all this time.
Never sees any carry or fondling when I'm sitting at my desk unlike 99% of my other Spydies (which is a crying shame),
yet it still gets worse when I leave it unattended for a little while.

For reference, it went from this:

To this: (with zero pocket time in between pictures) :(

It's one of those knives I just NEEDED upon seeing for the first time and I really want to start carrying and enjoying it the way it was meant to without worrying about oiling it and keeping it super dry all the time.
There are several videos and pictures to be found of people having their Nirvana reground, so I was wondering about doing the same...
It's a shame to have to throw more money at an already expensive knife, but I just want to enjoy it.

I wanted to see if folks here had it reground and how you like(d) it in the long run.
Besides that, I was hoping for some info on trustworthy people in Europe who are proficient in regrinding at a high level.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
zhyla

Re: Regrinding the Nirvana?

Post by zhyla »

Carry a $500 knife? Like to use it? It’s your knife, but the best case is it doesn’t get stained, scratched, lost, etc. Or — God forbid — taken by the TSA.

I get that some people really enjoy the craftsmanship in knives at this price point. I get it. But unless the price just isn’t something you think about, I dunno, it just doesn’t make sense to me.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

So you want to regrind it only because of the rust that keeps showing up? But... what if it starts to rust again after the regrind?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:17 pm
Carry a $500 knife? Like to use it? It’s your knife, but the best case is it doesn’t get stained, scratched, lost, etc. Or — God forbid — taken by the TSA.

I get that some people really enjoy the craftsmanship in knives at this price point. I get it. But unless the price just isn’t something you think about, I dunno, it just doesn’t make sense to me.
Some of us do that all the time. And some of us don't get all teary-eyed over some wear and surface stains.
Tims

Post by Tims »

In my experience, the best way to prevent corrosion on a blade is to carry and use it. Often.
Using it frequently means you have eyes on it all the time and are more likely to wipe it clean/dry it, than when used infrequently and put in a drawer.
Other than that, follow the basic, well documented steps to inhibit corrosion on your knife.
I wouldn’t consider regrinding unless you’re chasing improved cutting performance.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Price isn't the main issue, it's just that I don't carry the same knife for more than a couple days in a row a lot of the times.
In the case of this knife, that makes it even more prone to forming surface rust.
I rotate a lot and some knives might get carried quite a bit, then be in a display until I feel like carrying it again.
yablanowitz wrote:
Some of us do that all the time. And some of us don't get all teary-eyed over some wear and surface stains.
There are some knives in my collection that don't really get carried because of rarity when trying to replace them, but most get used.
Then again, I mainly use them for very light tasks (working in IT doesn't require me to stab sheet metal luckily).
BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:40 pm
So you want to regrind it only because of the rust that keeps showing up? But... what if it starts to rust again after the regrind?
The main reason I'm thinking about a regrind is because of the blade finish making it more prone to surface rust forming.
Tims wrote: In my experience, the best way to prevent corrosion on a blade is to carry and use it. Often.
Using it frequently means you have eyes on it all the time and are more likely to wipe it clean/dry it, than when used infrequently and put in a drawer.
Other than that, follow the basic, well documented steps to inhibit corrosion on your knife.
I wouldn’t consider regrinding unless you’re chasing improved cutting performance.
I rotate quite a bit, so it can go for a while without getting carried after being EDC'd for a week or so.
It might seem silly to some, but having models in all shapes and sizes, materials, edges, etc. and rotating them is half of the fun in the hobby for me.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Tims

Post by Tims »

I get what you mean and it’s why I prefer stainless steels.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There has to be something corrosive down in the pores that hasn't come off yet. It needs a good detergent soap and hot water wash followed by drying then sealing the air away by a good wax like Rennisance wax.

I've seen old rifles that have shot corrosive ammo in them keep on rusting despite regular thorough cleaning with solvents and light oils. Until the barrel is washed out with soap and water after shooting to get rid of the salts in the steels surface imperfections the corrosion will keep returning and in time make the barrel look like an old Brillo pad ( steel wool).

There is nothing wrong with the steel or finish and moving to stainless steel isn't really even needed.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I don't want to sound like a d***, but Nirvana is stainless. It's made from S90V, and it should have good corrosion resistance.

DutchBlades, just try to clean it. Hit it with kitchen sponge, with that rough side, add a bit soap and powder cleanser, and see what happened.
If you have one at home, you can try some polishing paste for cars.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I bet you could stonewash the blade enough to remove the rust and sort of start over, but you'll still need to prevent it from rusting again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm
I don't want to sound like a d***, but Nirvana is stainless. It's made from S90V, and it should have good corrosion resistance.

DutchBlades, just try to clean it. Hit it with kitchen sponge, with that rough side, add a bit soap and powder cleanser, and see what happened.

Won't that scratch the crap out of it? I made that mistake with a knife I put a patina on but I ended up brushing the surface with the sponge and it turned out pretty cool looking I thought.
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 am
Pancake wrote:

Won't that scratch the crap out of it? I made that mistake with a knife I put a patina on but I ended up brushing the surface with the sponge and it turned out pretty cool looking I thought.
No idea. I wound try something like baking soda first, or some kind of oil, heck, I was told that break fluid could work.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 am
Pancake wrote:

No idea. I wound try something like baking soda first, or some kind of oil, heck, I was told that break fluid could work.

I used a Scotchbrite pad like an idiot and didn't think of what it would do to the finish, but I ended up liking the results. Regardless there are a lot of ways to deal with this before going all in for a regrind.

~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:18 am

I used a Scotchbrite pad like an idiot and didn't think of what it would do to the finish, but I ended up liking the results. Regardless there are a lot of ways to deal with this before going all in for a regrind.
Exactly, that was I trying to tell. There a lot of less aggressive ways to deal with a but of rust then full regrind.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Without regrinding it is not too difficult to get a nice smooth finish by polishing with different grit size sand paper, have a look to some YouTube video about dyi knife making. That might be an option.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Scotchbrite is what some knife makers use to satin finish blades

The beast blast isn't helping - if you run a finer finish, you'll run into less corrosion issues - and doesn't involve a regrind
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Good luck polishing S90V with hands. That is going to take a lot of time and sandpaper.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am
Good luck polishing S90V with hands. That is going to take a lot of time and sandpaper.
It's not so bad though. I've mirror polished a s90v military before. Nothing too crazy.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:01 am
It's not so bad though. I've mirror polished a s90v military before. Nothing too crazy.
I once tried polish the washer area on my K390 Police and I gave up pretty quickly.

Anyway, I am really excited for OP response, pics would be even better. Maybe he is polishing it right now :P
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:01 am
I once tried polish the washer area on my K390 Police and I gave up pretty quickly.

Anyway, I am really excited for OP response, pics would be even better. Maybe he is polishing it right now :P
That's 5-6 HRC points higher, big difference.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?