New user - need some assistance please! (Stretch 2 vs. Endura Wharny)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

New user - need some assistance please! (Stretch 2 vs. Endura Wharny)

Post by TheGiant80 »

Hey Spyderco folks,

I've been lurking on this forum for a year or so, and buying Spyderco blades for a while longer than that. Recently I've agonized over the decision of which knife to buy next, and with Black Friday deals making things more complicated, I thought I'd join this place and see what you all think.

I'm looking for a reasonably lightweight but sturdy EDC blade. After doing as much research as I can, and taking my own preferences into account, I've narrowed the choices down to the Stretch 2 and the Endura Wharncliffe. Variables like steel type, overall size and weight, ergonomics, etc have all been considered. I guess what I'm asking is, if YOU were going to select one of these as your primary EDC cutting tool, which would it be and why?

I'd like to say in advance that I appreciate the input received, and I look forward to being active on the forums going forward. Cheers!
yablanowitz

Re: New user - need some assistance please! (Stretch 2 vs. Endura Wharny)

Post by yablanowitz »

As much as I love the Endura, I would likely choose the straight spine Stretch for general use.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Those are really different blade shapes. Why not both? If the ergos of the stretch 2 vs endura dont matter, then that makes this difficult. I think the wharncliffe is more interesting, but I think the stretch 2 will make a better edc.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Endura wharncliffe with spyderedge! Let’s get weird!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Both are great EDC blades and the biggest difference is going to be ergonomics of tip control while cutting. The wharnie will give tremendous power at the tip with a straight wrist and favors draw cuts in a downward slicing motion. The stretch with finger choil and upturned point favors delicate turning cuts with the tip and will require a downward break of the wrist to execute the same tip force generated with a neutral grip on the Wharncliffe Endura. Endura also give more room for larger hands. In summary: precision vs power. Both great choices ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

Concerning your question:

If we´re talking about a main / only EDC knife, I personally would go for the Endura. Mainly, cause I appreciate the significantly longer cutting edge, that the hand is closer to the edge in a regular grip and I can still choke up on the Ricasso as well as on a regular choil - but be aware: On the last point many feel differently and don´t like to choke up on a Ricasso at all!
I also love the Endura ergos and finger grooves, but some don´t .
But to be honest: As a main EDC I´d never take the Wharnie, but the "regular" Endura. I think the belly makes it more versatile, it has less footprint in the pocket and I generally don´t like Wharnie blades in bigger knives (but that´s just me)

Now the Stretch 2 is a great knife, with amazing ergos. But for my likings the actual cutting edge is a bit short, one of the reasons why I slightly prefer the discontinued Stretch 1 (longer edge, while still being shorter and more compact than the Stretch 2 when closed).
The Stretch 1 is still available (at least at Bento Box Shop) for a reasonable price (in VG10 and HAP 40 steel). Maybe you´d consider that model?
For me perhaps the best EDC folder ever and perhaps Sal Glessers best design... but if you have REALLY big hands (I´d say XXL and larger) the Stretch 2 will fit better than the Stretch 1.

If you are ok with the shorter actual edge of the Stretch 2, I would also consider the Endela in serrated edge. Exact same edge length as the Stretch 2, and the serrations in the ffg blade are just amazing.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Welcome to the forum Giant!

Of the two, I'd go Stretch all day long. I find it to be much more ergonomic than the Endura.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Doh! I forgot the most important part!
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

2nd what Warstein said about the Stretch 1 vs 2; much prefer the 1's cutting edge although grip area is smaller.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Let me add to my post above:

If you are ok with "just" 2.97 " of actual cutting edge (and many would say that´s more than enough for a general EDC knife): I´d say Stretch 2.
If you´re like me and find a longer edge more verstatile (Endura Wharnie 3.39"): I´d say Endura.

And again:
The still available Stretch 1 would be kind of middle ground concerning cutting edge ( 3.19) while still being the most compact of the three in closed size... I personally would take that model, as long as it is still available. The other two will most likely stick around for quite some time coming, so you could get (one of) those later...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cycletroll wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:10 am
Doh! I forgot the most important part!
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

2nd what Warstein said about the Stretch 1 vs 2; much prefer the 1's cutting edge although grip area is smaller.
Yep, the good old Stretch 1... ;) There is a reason why I own four of them... :rolleyes:
On the grip area of the Stretch 1: Certainly smaller compared to the Stretch 2, but still as much or even a tad more than on the PM2 (for reference)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Forgot to say regular endura 4 over both if you dont already have one. Of your 2 choices i will still say stretch 2.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have to go with the Endura wharnie, just because I already have a Stretch. I'd also go with SE personally. They're very different blade shapes though, might wanna give that some thought.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 am
I'd have to go with the Endura wharnie, just because I already have a Stretch. I'd also go with SE personally. They're very different blade shapes though, might wanna give that some thought.
I like the way you think ;)
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Hey Spyderco folks,

I've been lurking on this forum for a year or so, and buying Spyderco blades for a while longer than that. Recently I've agonized over the decision of which knife to buy next, and with Black Friday deals making things more complicated, I thought I'd join this place and see what you all think.

I'm looking for a reasonably lightweight but sturdy EDC blade. After doing as much research as I can, and taking my own preferences into account, I've narrowed the choices down to the Stretch 2 and the Endura Wharncliffe. Variables like steel type, overall size and weight, ergonomics, etc have all been considered. I guess what I'm asking is, if YOU were going to select one of these as your primary EDC cutting tool, which would it be and why?

I'd like to say in advance that I appreciate the input received, and I look forward to being active on the forums going forward. Cheers!
Can't go wrong with either one, they're both great models that will reliably serve you for years.

If it were me I'd pick the Stretch. I find it has a much more comfortable handle than the Endura, and the blade shape is better for general purpose.
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

A wharncliffe is more task-specific. I'd go with the Stretch because the belly on the blade makes it a better universal EDC.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Giant,

Welcome to our forum.

Depending on what you are cutting, a blade with some curve is often more versatile than a blade that has straight cutting edge.

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My personal preference is for the Stretch. I rarely carry my Endura (except to rotate some variety into my daily carry) and purposely choose the Stretch far more frequently. But you'll find plenty of diehard Endura fans that prefer it over the Stretch, so it's really just a matter of taste. When it comes to cutting edges, however, I almost always prefer a more standard curved belly than the flat Wharncliffe shape.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 am
Endura wharncliffe with spyderedge! Let’s get weird!
Nothing weird about that :) That could be one helluva good companion folder.
These really are two knives you couldn't go wrong with at all. It just depends on what meets your personal needs,

People used to think I was weird until I started using Spyderco Hawkbill blades as a companion blade for my main EDC. Now almost everyone on the forum has a testimony about the usefulness of Hawkbill blades. Just go with what feels right for you.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Welcome to the forum! The Stretch is among my favorite user spydies, the ergos work way better for my hands than the Endura.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

IMHO, versatility heavily favors the Stretch (either version) but I doubt a wharnied Endura would let you down if cutting straps and cutting down boxes is your main work.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”