Spyderco Kephart knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy one?

Yes!
46%
No!
38%
NOOOOO!
16%

Total votes: 37

Pancake

Spyderco Kephart knife

Post by Pancake »

Last year or two a lot of companies released Kephart like knives. Ka-Bar has one, Condor and also Bark River has some.

So, would you be interested in Spyderco interpretation of Kephart knife? Thin stock (3mm), spear point, 4-5 inches, nice simple handle.....and Cru-Wear, or 3V, 4V.....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
wrdwrght

Re: Spyderco Kephart knife

Post by wrdwrght »

Thank you, no. I like the pattern, but I’m here for Glesser-patterns, not traditional ones.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd very much like to see what the Glessers would do with the Kephart!
Oh and i appreciate the Spydercos designed by Bradley, Horn, Centofante, Schempp, Terzuola, Slysz etc etc..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm
Thank you, no. I like the pattern, but I’m here for Glesser-patterns, not traditional ones.
Fair enough. Like if I could decide, I would more like Proficient in Cru-Wear then Kephart. I just want to see what other forumites think about this.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Had to look up what a Kephart is; I'd have to say nah lol

I mean it's cool an all, but probably something better left to other makers.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm
Fair enough. Like if I could decide, I would more like Proficient in Cru-Wear then Kephart. I just want to see what other forumites think about this.
I am but a data-point. :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Not a design that appeals to me at all. Just this guys opinion.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I think I would pass on this one. I'm not much of a fan of the kephart design.
--Jeremy
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I actually really like the design.
I just feel because of that design, a spyderco fixed blade in good steel might come in at too high a price point compared to the other options on the market.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I like a good kephart, but to me it's one of those knives best served by keeping it as close to the original as possible. Not a lot of room for innovation. I suppose a steel upgrade would still be something to consider. I don't know, I guess I would be interested to see it, yea.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Kephart design is my favorite for utility and woods stuff. However, I don't know how spyderco could make it fresh. You can't change the blade shape and you can't change the handle shape. Otherwise it isn't a Kephardt.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Maybe a folding model
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here is a good example of the Kephart knife.

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

For those who do not know of the Kephart knife...a little history.

http://www.pocketknivesmall.com/kephart-knife/

It is the one in the image titled "Old Kephart Knife"

The handle flaring at the ricasso is a key part of the design that few have bothered to emulate.
It does use more handle material and a bit more work, but well worth it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Thank you all for replies.
I have some ideas how the pool was going to end.
I understand that is hard to make something ,,new,, on Kephart design, and Spyderco is all about innovation and new designs.

Oh hey Lance, I always felt that your Waterway is a modern Kephart knife, no nonsense tool for work.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Voted yes as it’s fixed blades that I am more enjoying nowadays

This does me though
AA3DF93B-EAC9-43C7-836A-91406DC8C718.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like Kepharts and I would be curious what Spyderco could come up with. Maybe a folder in the ethnic series?

The defining feature seems to be a spear point with a centered tip. Many modern Kepharts only have that in common with the original. A kephart should also have a broomstick handle with a finger guard. Kephart was pretty specific about what he wanted in a knife and describes it in the book.

Considering that Spyderco has many leaf shaped blades I would say that Spyderco appreciates the utility of a centered point as much as Kephart did. Spyderco's ergonomic handles however do not have the versatility of Kephart's more basic handle. The Temp2 and Mule have leaf blades with centered points but the blade shape is a little different and they lack the handle neutrality of the Kephart. The Bushcraft has a centered point and a versatile handle but is not a Kephart either. That is probably as close as it gets though.

Here is a Becker BK62 with an original copy of Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft". That book is over 100 years old! The BK62 is as close to the original as any knife you will find. Ethan Becker owns one of the only known actual Colchester Brothers Kephart knife and he modeled the BK62 after it. (The knife is mine but the book belongs to a friend)

Other Kephart blades. The Ontario Blackbird SK5 has a Kephart blade but a typical Ontario handle. There are also a 4.25" and a 5" Bark River Kepharts.

I used the 4.25" Kephart to field dress a buck this year. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I understand why it will probably never happen, but I voted yes. I've always loved the simple, utilitarian look of the Kephart design. Old-school cool!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am
I like Kepharts and I would be curious what Spyderco could come up with. Maybe a folder in the ethnic series?

The defining feature seems to be a spear point with a centered tip. Many modern Kepharts only have that in common with the original. A kephart should also have a broomstick handle with a finger guard. Kephart was pretty specific about what he wanted in a knife and describes it in the book.

Considering that Spyderco has many leaf shaped blades I would say that Spyderco appreciates the utility of a centered point as much as Kephart did. Spyderco's ergonomic handles however do not have the versatility of Kephart's more basic handle. The Temp2 and Mule have leaf blades with centered points but the blade shape is a little different and they lack the handle neutrality of the Kephart. The Bushcraft has a centered point and a versatile handle but is not a Kephart either. That is probably as close as it gets though.

Here is a Becker BK62 with an original copy of Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft". That book is over 100 years old! The BK62 is as close to the original as any knife you will find. Ethan Becker owns one of the only known actual Colchester Brothers Kephart knife and he modeled the BK62 after it. (The knife is mine but the book belongs to a friend)

Other Kephart blades. The Ontario Blackbird SK5 has a Kephart blade but a typical Ontario handle. There are also a 4.25" and a 5" Bark River Kepharts.

I used the 4.25" Kephart to field dress a buck this year. :)

Used a few over the years, have a Fiddleback Forge version that I really like better than the old original design. Better for detail work.

I tend to go towards the more basic and simple designs, things you need and nothing you don't type of thought process.

They usually perform a lot better too.

It would be nice to see Spyderco make a version of it and without the hole in the blade to preserve the designs heritage.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Standy: Bradley Bowie is a wonderful piece of a knife, really thought out! I hope that one day we get Mr. Bradley' s design in more affordable version.

Darby: what a collection, I am jealous! That Becker and Barkies are really good looking.