How many screws can be seen on your CF/G10 laminated Chaparral?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nativeleek

How many screws can be seen on your CF/G10 laminated Chaparral?

Post by nativeleek »

Hi there.

Recently I got a CF/G10 laminated Chaparral from an autorized dealer. Everything on this knife is perfect but I find something strange.

On my CF Chaparral, I can see four screw heads exposed from the handle scales, which are the pivot screw, the pocket-clip screw and other two in between. I believe that all CF Chaparrals I've seen from Youtube videos have only two screws exposed, which are the pivot screw and the pocket-clip screw. The other two are buried under the handle scales. I've also checked the 2019 Spyderco Catalog and in the picture there are only two screws exposed as well.

Does anyone know if Spyderco made this change to CF/G10 laminated Chaparral recently? I really appreciate your comments.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
blueblur

Re: How many screws can be seen on your CF/G10 laminated Chaparral?

Post by blueblur »

I believe they did change it to the 4 screws on the cf models. I have the 2 screw version but mine is one of the early models in S30V.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:20 pm
I believe they did change it to the 4 screws on the cf models. I have the 2 screw version but mine is one of the early models in S30V.
Yes, I remember a thread about it not to long ago. They now look like the one pictured on KC. I'm glad I have the previous style with two screws exposed.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP152C ... er-handles
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

blueblur wrote:
Hi, Blueblur. Thanks for the confirmation. :)
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 pm
blueblur wrote:
Yes, I remember a thread about it not to long ago. They now look like the one pictured on KC. I'm glad I have the previous style with two screws exposed.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP152C ... er-handles
I also find that KC has updated the picture of CF Chaparral, while many other websites like BladeHQ are still using the two-screw version as a demo.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I prefer the two screw look as well. I'm guessing this change simplified production for them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was an early adopter and got the two-screw S30V “substitute”. I grumbled at not getting the promised XHP and finally snagged one just a year or two ago. It’s also a two-screw. Maybe I got some old stock?

In comparing these CF Chaps last night, I noticed that the distil-taper on the XHP is noticeably thinner than the S30V, maybe half a thick. I like that!

Do others with multiple Chaps have this disparity?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mine has 4. It was purchased sometime over the past 5 months.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Interesting. It's been years since I bought a CF laminate Chaparral or looked at them online, but I've only ever seen them with just the pivot and clip screws visible. Both my S30V and CTS-XHP CF laminate Chaparrals have only the pivot and clip screws visible, but my S30V ones are pre and early production and my XHP was an early one in that steel. If there's been a change, it must be fairly recent as both the website and 2019 catalog show it with only those 2.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:12 am
Interesting. It's been years since I bought a CF laminate Chaparral or looked at them online, but I've only ever seen them with just the pivot and clip screws visible. Both my S30V and CTS-XHP CF laminate Chaparrals have only the pivot and clip screws visible, but my S30V ones are pre and early production and my XHP was an early one in that steel. If there's been a change, it must be fairly recent as both the website and 2019 catalog show it with only those 2.
The thread I was thinking of was back in January

viewtopic.php?p=1300806#p1300806
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

My four-screwed Chapparal CF was produced in July, 2019. There are letters "GS" printed on the box. So I'm sure this change was made during the first half of 2019.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

There was talk earlier this year about cqi happening with the chaparral. It was mentioned the clip seat/recesses had been improved to hold the clip better. Maybe they did something more???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:22 pm
There was talk earlier this year about cqi happening with the chaparral. It was mentioned the clip seat/recesses had been improved to hold the clip better. Maybe they did something more???

CG
That was the Chaparral LW. I don't think there was ever an issue with the other versions