Any info on why the GB 2 is unobtanium right now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Any info on why the GB 2 is unobtanium right now?

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Been wanting to snag another one of these for a month or two now but I can’t find them anywhere. Some places have “delayed by the manufacturer” listed.

Anyone have an idea what’s going on? Or an idea on the ETA?
Sharp Guy

Re: Any info on why the GB 2 is unobtanium right now?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Someone asked a few months ago and I thought maybe the shortage was because it was going to be discontinued. It wasn't on the disco'd list so I can only assume they just need to make another run
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm guessing it's because Spyderco has prioritized other models for the time being. The Kapara and Spydie Chef got a recent CQI update. I think Ikuchi will as well. Those knives (and I'm probably forgetting several others) will most likely have a longer shelf life than the GB2, so Spyderco is investing their money there.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

If I had to take a guess (and keep in mind that this is just my educated guess without any evidence to support it...), I would say that the grinding that hollow ground blade in M4 can't be the easiest of tasks, and given that the GB 2 isn't the most sought after knife at the moment, I understand why they would slow down production on that model.

I would LOVE to see a CQI'd version of it though. I've never held one, but to me, it seems like a no-nonsense tool in the same sense as a Chris Reeve is, nothing flashy or fidgety about it, just a nice boring tool that gets the job done.

I do hope it doesn't get discontinued, or if it does that a 3rd model is on the way, because I really want to get my hands on one eventually!
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

I have one ordered and it told me expected shipping 12/20. Not sure how accurate that is or if it was a default date from when I attempted to purchase. I've yet to be billed for it. I sure hope to land one and regret dragging my feet on the purchase but you know....life.
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mzen wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:26 am
I would LOVE to see a CQI'd version of it though. I've never held one, but to me, it seems like a no-nonsense tool in the same sense as a Chris Reeve is, nothing flashy or fidgety about it, just a nice boring tool that gets the job done.
I'm curious why you think it needs CQI? How would you know if you've never held one? I only have two GB1s but I've handled a few GB2s. I can't think of anything I would change. The action is very smooth, the blade shape is great, etc. Some don't like the limited access to the lock bar but the GB2s didn't seem as hard to unlock as the original GB. Even the original GB isn't hard to unlock once you get used to it. One of mine had lock access opened up by the original owner and I've always said I would keep that one if I was going to sell one. Then I take the one that's original out of the box and I have no issues unlocking that one. So I've held onto both.

And I get what you're saying about them being a no-nonsense tool but I'm not sure I'd describe it as boring lol. You really do need to hold one. They really are nice knives.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Think I have put at least 10 people on to the GB2 over the last few years and I know 2 that are waiting as we speak.

If you were to CQI a GB2 you would end up making a GB1 :D :D :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:51 pm

I'm curious why you think it needs CQI? How would you know if you've never held one? I only have two GB1s but I've handled a few GB2s. I can't think of anything I would change. The action is very smooth, the blade shape is great, etc. Some don't like the limited access to the lock bar but the GB2s didn't seem as hard to unlock as the original GB. Even the original GB isn't hard to unlock once you get used to it. One of mine had lock access opened up by the original owner and I've always said I would keep that one if I was going to sell one. Then I take the one that's original out of the box and I have no issues unlocking that one. So I've held onto both.

And I get what you're saying about them being a no-nonsense tool but I'm not sure I'd describe it as boring lol. You really do need to hold one. They really are nice knives.
For the simple reason that no knife is perfect. You could take basically every Spyderco model and do some small amount of fine tuning to make it even better. As the person after you said, some people prefer the GB1, what if a change was made to this model that would please both GB1 and GB2 users equally? Maybe CQI wasn't the right description, an eventual GB3 could be a better suggestion :)

And when I mean a boring tool, I mean it in the best of senses. To me, a boring tool is a sign of quality, something you can use and without even noticing, no fuss no muss. I am a fan of boredom when it comes to my tools, 100%.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I just couldn’t see how a GB3 could be made to keep both GB1 and GB2 people happy.

Just a few too many changes between the two
5DD0B716-B1A0-4533-BA15-ECD6F311E4C7.jpeg
Picture borrowed from

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-gayl ... ey-review/
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just wish the choil on the GB1 was more pronounced. Otherwise I think it was perfect.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 am
Haha yep! :) That's one of the reasons I have 2 GB1s and no GB2. Although the GB2 is a fine knife too and I'll probably have one of as well at some point
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:21 am
I just couldn’t see how a GB3 could be made to keep both GB1 and GB2 people happy.

Just a few too many changes between the two

5DD0B716-B1A0-4533-BA15-ECD6F311E4C7.jpeg

Picture borrowed from

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-gayl ... ey-review/
tks for the comparison! I too prefer the GB1 model since it allows for a "very close to edge" grip.

I am torn between this and the Caribbean for my next purchase. I'd say similar knives with very different steels.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I would love to see a cqi version or a gb3 without proud liners. As a lefty, a gb3 with a different lock would be amazing. The blade on this knife is darn near perfect, but it was hard for me to use as a lefty so I sold it.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 am
standy99 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 am
Haha yep! :) That's one of the reasons I have 2 GB1s and no GB2. Although the GB2 is a fine knife too and I'll probably have one of as well at some point

All of this. Until you hold and use a GB it's hard to understand what an incredibly well made and designed knife that it is.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The 2 is nice, but kinda generic, if that could be said about a spyderco - the original with the choil and negative blade angle looks awesome to use - maybe a run with non CF inlays (micarta or g10)