The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: The Superior Delica

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice collection. I like that orange HAP 40
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:27 pm
Had the Cruwear Delica in my pocket today. Went out on the back porch with a cup of fresh ground, french press coffee. There was frost on the grass.
Deceided to carve a spoon for a lady I work with.

The majority of the work was done with the axe, carving out the "hollow" of the spoon bowl was of course done with the bent/spoon knife, and all the detail and/or finishing I did with the Cruwear Delica 4. It was in my pocket, I didn't want to go back in to get my "carving" knife, and wanted to see how the Delica would do.
The ole' Delica was very much up to the task come to find out. Superior Delica indeed!

u.w.
Looks like a great job on that spoon. Are you sanding it smooth? What grit?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I own 18 Delicas in total but this is the variety that makes up that number. I own at least 3 of each model right here. I like backups. Haha.

Cruwear
S90V
Damascus
ZDP189
M390

Looking to add the Vtoku2, hap 40, and VG10 soon.
Attachments
61ADC470-808D-470B-A235-D5A6B8E6EB4D.jpeg
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Holland wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Have you reprofiled the blade tips on these? I am struck by how pointy ALL of your Delicas are! They have almost none of the pronounced tip drop that all mine have.

I think it looks great.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:38 am
Looks like a great job on that spoon. Are you sanding it smooth? What grit?

Thanks!

I don't plan on sanding this one, no.
That said, if the woman says she'd prefer it sanded - I'll sand it. I have some 320 grit that would smooth it up quite a bit and nicely. I could go up to 1K or 2K if there was a need. As is, I figured I'd just let it have it's own character; beetle holes, carve marks, grain, color variations and all... The wood is Japanese Cherry from my yard.

All I've done to it, is give it four or five light coats of food safe mineral oil. Tomorrow at work I'll hand it over.
This all came about because I saw some of the drawings this woman had done in a notebook, and was just completely blown away. She's native american and I thought she might appreciate a hand carved, possibly "artistic" wood spoon, so I offered. Some people have told me that they thought my carvings were nice enough to call "art", hence the offer. Tomorrow, she'll get it and that's that. I hope she continues to draw and maybe the spoon will make her day/week/month/year just a little better. That is my hope anyway,

u.w.
Holland

Post by Holland »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 am
Holland wrote:

Have you reprofiled the blade tips on these? I am struck by how pointy ALL of your Delicas are! They have almost none of the pronounced tip drop that all mine have.

I think it looks great.
Thanks! This is pretty much the first thing I do when I get a new delica. Only takes a few minutes. I copied Lance, he does this will all his PacSalts

-Spencer

Rotation:
Holland

Post by Holland »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:35 am
Nice collection. I like that orange HAP 40
Thanks, i really hope the K390 run comes to life, that would be an epic steel in the delica and dragonfly
-Spencer

Rotation:
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Holland wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:21 pm
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 am
Holland wrote:

I think it looks great.
Thanks! This is pretty much the first thing I do when I get a new delica. Only takes a few minutes. I copied Lance, he does this will all his PacSalts

Looks fantastic. From what I can tell it also doesn’t look like you lose any length on the blade either. Or at least it’s so little as to be negligible.

Great mod, gonna try it out! This is the way the Delica should come IMO.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Lately, my CE Delica has been my primary carry knife, both for work and outside. Having used it so much for so long now, it's led to a bit of a dilemma whenever I start looking at something new. "Will it work better than the Delica? Will it allow me to do something that the Delica can't accomplish?" 99.9% of the time, it won't, and I find myself not going through with the purchase.

And because there should always be pics in threads like these:

Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 am
Lately, my CE Delica has been my primary carry knife, both for work and outside. Having used it so much for so long now, it's led to a bit of a dilemma whenever I start looking at something new. "Will it work better than the Delica? Will it allow me to do something that the Delica can't accomplish?" 99.9% of the time, it won't, and I find myself not going through with the purchase.

I'm with you. There has been a Delica in my pocket more than any other model this year. I go with other models based on the situation, but the Delica is my go EDC anymore. I have a Cruwear, GITD, and CE, and grab whichever one is nearest and throw it in my pocket for the day. It is really hard to beat. I still need to get a Wharnie Delica and an Endela to try.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Definitely pick up the Wharnie when you get a chance. I have a serrated one, and it's another of my favorite users.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN