The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The Superior Delica

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 am
Said it in the other thread, will say it once more:
My apologies for forgetting you're not a native English speaker. Your English is far better than my German is, or ever will be. Also, further apologies for projecting my own background onto you. I spent quite a bit of time working in group therapy. One of the things we teach participants to do is to say "I" instead of "you". It's become a pet peeve of mine.

That aside, you asked a valid question. No, I can't choke up on the ricasso of a Delica. The ricasso area is too short for my wide forefingers to fit into safely.

As fr handle length / blade length / cutting edge comparisons: The picture in the third post of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80516#p1249299 - illustrates that the Delica's ricasso can be converted into a choil without any loss of edge length. The Byrd Meadowlark squeezes the same length blade as the Delica into 6mm shorter handle, adds a choil, and only loses 4mm of edge length. The Medowlark just isn't available in nicer steels. The Sage series has a 3mm longer blade and 2mm longer cutting edge, but in a 2mm shorter handle than the Delica. I'd love to have 2.5mm blade thickness Sage. Maybe a liner-less Sage 4 XL slim lightweight? :D
First thanks and let me stress my respect for your constructive reply! A great example for the general tone on this forum and why it is such a good place to be.

/ As for "choking up on the Ricasso":
Without meaning to be offensive by any means, may I ask: Do you actually know (by experience) that you "can´t choke up on it" or do you just assume so?
Of course my L to XL fingers are a lot wider too than the actual Ricasso, (so they extend over it), but still it is absolutely no problem to choke up, even rather comfortable and I do it all the time (actually it is my most used grip and my fingers never even touch the edge),and I am not alone in doing so (viewtopic.php?t=85026&start=20)
And that is true for most tasks, not only "detailled work" (whatever that means). I would not do harder stabbing utilizing that grip probably, but that´s something I don´t have to do anyway. The knife often times feels "more balanced" held choked up on the Ricasso
So maybe you´d like to try choking up on the Ricasso? I assure you, it is NOT dangerous (and I really would not want that you cut yourself of course), and at least for some tasks (whittling for example) rather usefull, and still gives you a knife with a generous actual grip area that places your hand still close to the edge when not choking up.
It works best when you put your thumb not on the spine but rather on the side of the blade.

/ As for the "choil mod" on the Delica and the Meadowlark: I had the latter and also can see how the Delica-mod would work.
Still, the possible loss of edge length (which would not happen with that mod anyway) is not the real disadvantage of a choil for me, but more so that the existence of a choil puts the hand further away from the edge when NOT choking up.
So for me personally a Ricasso gives me "the best of both worlds":
A generous actual grip area on the handle with the hand already placed rather close to the edge
Plus: I can choke up on the Ricasso just like on a choil without any problem

So I am hoping the Delica will never be "cqi-ed" into a "choiled" knife, since there are already several in that size range.
I rather see features people like in the Endela transferred in those other models (for example a 2.5 mm blade stock Native or a slighthly larger Chaparral), but keep the Delica as it is...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:15 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm
We are entitled to our own opinions but let's state the facts that really show how the Delica is indeed superior:

You want FFG? The Delica gives you.
You want Saber Grind? The Delica gives you.
You want SE? Yeah
You want CE? Sure
Wave? You got it
All black? ;)
All SS? ;)
Do you like music? How about a little Jazzdelica?
Different production steels? Vg-10 and Zdp-189 will not let you down... but do you fancy Damascus?
Sprints? Sure, blade steels or handle?
Colors? How many?
Zome? ;)
GITD? :p
Salt? Yeah, hawkbill, regular or wharncliff?

This is the market (people) way of saying the Delica is indeed the BEST Spyderco ever.
If by "best" you mean has the largest mass market appeal, then I'd agree. If by best, you mean makes Spyderco large amounts of money, I wouldn't doubt it. But the Delica is the Honda Civic or Accord or knives, while the Sage 2 was the original Acura NSX, and the Sage 5 is the new NSX.
My post was a bit cheeky, all I wanted to say is that the origin for all those delica variations is the great design it is.
I had a Sage 2, sold it. Never had a 5 but compression lock knives are not my favorite for real use. Not bashing the compression lock, I'd be interested to try a LC200N lw Para 3.
The analogy with cars is not ideal, as cars are grouped in price ranges/categories. Plus, manufacturers don't compete with themselves with car models like knife companies see to do: you have 1 model per car category (5 or 6 models at a time) while on the other hand just look at Spyderco's catalog.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 am
Said it in the other thread, will say it once more:

For me the Delica clearly is still the best Spyderco in its size range (if you don´t count the Chaparral in, which is a bit smaller) - main "competitors"being Native 5 (which has in fact not more cutting edge than the Chap), Para 3 and Sage.

First thing: Especially in that particular size range and for larger hands a finger choil makes little sense imho (cause it almost forces one to choke up on it to get a good four finger grip, while the Delica has enough grip area on the actual handle plus you can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso)

To your other point, my large hands need a choil in a Delica sized knife. I can't choke up on the ricasso. The Delica's handle is too small for my wide fingers, and the points on the handle hit my fingers in all the wrong places on top of that. Clearly the Delica works well for you, and its popularity makes it clear the Delica works well for many others as well. However, using "you" language when you should be using "I" language, and stating that something "makes little sense" based only on your sample size of one, expresses a very narrow and closed minded viewpoint.
That's interesting... the Delica actually offers more grip area on the handle than a PM 2 and about the same as a Stretch 1 and enough for my more XL than L hands.
So the PM 2 grip consequently should be too short for you, since the Delica handle already is...

And I am sorry, but I could say that "narrow and closed minded" rather is not to understand the meaning of " in my humble opinion". But I won't say it.. ;)

And just in my humble opinion it actually does not make a lot of sense on a handle that COULD accomodate four fingers shorten the grip area so that it does NOT, just for having a choil that additionally takes away cutting edge.
But that's just me of course, who shares his opinion like it is meant to be on this forum.

For saying "you" instead of "I": My apologies, I am not a Native speaker in English, in German you could/would say "Du" which means "you".
Still: You CAN'T choke up on a Ricasso?? :confused:
Why is that??
My apologies for forgetting you're not a native English speaker. Your English is far better than my German is, or ever will be. Also, further apologies for projecting my own background onto you. I spent quite a bit of time working in group therapy. One of the things we teach participants to do is to say "I" instead of "you". It's become a pet peeve of mine.

That aside, you asked a valid question. No, I can't choke up on the ricasso of a Delica. The ricasso area is too short for my wide forefingers to fit into safely.

As fr handle length / blade length / cutting edge comparisons: The picture in the third post of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80516#p1249299 - illustrates that the Delica's ricasso can be converted into a choil without any loss of edge length. The Byrd Meadowlark squeezes the same length blade as the Delica into 6mm shorter handle, adds a choil, and only loses 4mm of edge length. The Medowlark just isn't available in nicer steels. The Sage series has a 3mm longer blade and 2mm longer cutting edge, but in a 2mm shorter handle than the Delica. I'd love to have 2.5mm blade thickness Sage. Maybe a liner-less Sage 4 XL slim lightweight? :D
Having a shorter handle is not a plus for me. The Delica shines because it has lots of handle and an all important guard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I prefer the native 5. Better ergos for me, better blade shape for me, easier to carry for me, better steel, better lock. I feel like probs a stronger pivot.

Delica is fine. I have 5 or 6. They're very collectible and they do everything they need to do. I've gifted them too. I wish they were ground thinner. If they were even just taken down to .015 bte it would make a big difference. Or if they were given a high height hollow grind. That's my only issue. It's a fine economical knife that works fine but I have knives with thicker blade stock even that cut just as well or better than the thin stocked Delica.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 pm
I prefer the native 5. Better ergos for me, better blade shape for me, easier to carry for me, better steel, better lock. I feel like probs a stronger pivot.
Though I personally prefer the Delica in most categories you mention (and also that it gives me 10 % more cutting edge than the Native),I am totally with you concerning the lock! The Native really has the best backlock I ever experienced, maybe together with the Chap.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:50 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:47 pm
Though I personally prefer the Delica in most categories you mention (and also that it gives me 10 % more cutting edge than the Native),I am totally with you concerning the lock! The Native really has the best backlock I ever experienced, maybe together with the Chap.
I also really like the lock on the Native. But I recall that when BladeHQ tested the Delica lock the blade broke at the highest pressure recorded and the lock was still fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I don't really have anything to add except I love the Delica too.

The HAP40 Jazzlica has been my main work knife since I got it (along with the K390 Urban and ZDP189 Dragonfly).

This one's my modded 'grail' Delica, used it just the other day to slice up some smoked Sambar venison ribs :) :

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's a beautiful knife! I agree, the Delica is a wonderful carry.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:10 am
thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:03 am
Caly 3/3.5 for the win here. Wartstein and I were having a friendly debate on another thread, so I won't get into the nitty gritty here. I agree with some other comments that you have to get the Caly in-hand to really appreciate it and that it is one of, if not the best Sal design. Really looking forward to the FRN model and hoping it gets this exceptional platform into more hands. The Delica is still a great design, especially the Wharny and has its place in the line.
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am
Yeah, the Caly3 is clearly at the top of the heap, but the Delica is better. I note the Delica is still going strong but the Caly is history.
I believe that the Caly being "history" may have more to do with production issues than with the merits of the design, thus the future LW model.
There were some QC issues with later Caly3. It’s too bad too. It is one of my favorite knives and the one that brought me back to Spyderco so long ago. However, there is no way it ever out sold the tried and true Delica. The Delica has been through 4 generations, plus salt versions, has had many Sprint Runs and exclusives, and it can be had in ffg, saber grind, serrated edge, plain edge, wood scales, G10, frn, steel, and titanium scales. I know I left some things out, but the Delica is that popular for a reason.
The Delica has been made available in many iterations and likely because of this has sold more units but I don't see how this is evidence that the Delica is a better design than the Caly. The argument doesn't follow logically. More variations of/units sold of design A ≠ better than design B. Again, I'm not arguing that the Delica is a bad design only that there are various aspects of the Caly platform that make it better (to me, subjectively).
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’m with you on the Delica love.

I just wish they made more Wharncliffe Delicas in special steels.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I hope they keep making delicas in sprint steels. Because I’ve missed out of almost all of them.

Up until very recently I didn’t love the Delica like I do now. I regret that. :(
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My Glow Delica finally arrived at home(so did I.).

I took the clip off immediately, felt right that way.
Overall it is a very nice knife and mine has superb F&F.

My one complaint would be the grip. The rear point of the first scallop on the scales, hits dead center on my middle finger. It's not a huge deal, but it's not Ideal. The Mantra handle does not have this same issue, it's flawless.

This one will be sticking around, I'm going to give it a good shakedown. Now if they would make one with an LC200N blade and hardware, I could swap the glow scales on and be a happy boy!

Edit: I want to see the whole Seki line up done in these glow scales. They are fantastic, I would buy the whole set.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:33 pm

My one complaint would be the grip. The rear point of the first scallop on the scales, hits dead center on my middle finger. It's not a huge deal, but it's not Ideal
Shave down flush with the handle. I’ve been known to delete that hump.

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I finally have a knife that matches my shoes!

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:43 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

My one complaint would be the grip. The rear point of the first scallop on the scales, hits dead center on my middle finger. It's not a huge deal, but it's not Ideal
Shave down flush with the handle. I’ve been know you delete that hump.
Yep, that was my thought as well.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

The Delica by far is my favorite EDC. Until recently, the choice of steel was pretty limited. I was tickled to death when the Cruwear and M390 were released. Matter of fact I ordered a second M390 to have as a backup. Seems to me the newer models (Para) have been the ones with more choices. Maybe the Delica has taken on a new light. I believe K390 is in the works for the Endura family. Sure hope so.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hobnob wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:01 pm
The Delica by far is my favorite EDC. Until recently, the choice of steel was pretty limited. I was tickled to death when the Cruwear and M390 were released. Matter of fact I ordered a second M390 to have as a backup. Seems to me the newer models (Para) have been the ones with more choices. Maybe the Delica has taken on a new light. I believe K390 is in the works for the Endura family. Sure hope so.
I will be in heaven when the K390 series comes out. I’ll get them all.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:

Edit: I want to see the whole Seki line up done in these glow scales. They are fantastic, I would buy the whole set.
I’m with you on that. I wonder if they can do orange GITD?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Outside of a glow stick, I can't say that I've ever seen orange glow.

I've only seen green, blue and purple on a knife.

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

Outside of a glow stick, I can't say that I've ever seen orange glow.

I've only seen green, blue and purple on a knife.
Blue would be nice. I have some orange para cord that glows green.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:46 am
That's a beautiful knife! I agree, the Delica is a wonderful carry.
Thanks Barry, it makes me smile whenever I carry it!

I kinda forgot about the Tasman Salt being part of the Delica family too. I use that knife a lot in the garden. Another great Delica variant.