The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: The Superior Delica

Post by bbturbodad »

I felt the same way...seemed like an odd shape to be practical in normal day to day use but WOW is it a great utility knife!

I'd like to find one with teeth too. For now though I'm extremely pleased with the the way the PE version has been working.

How about a Salt version? :D
-Turbo
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:45 pm
I felt the same way...seemed like an odd shape to be practical in normal day to day use but WOW is it a great utility knife!

I'd like to find one with teeth too. For now though I'm extremely pleased with the the way the PE version has been working.

How about a Salt version? :D
Probably to similar to the Tasman 2, cuz the “reverse s” is still labeled as a hawkbill....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica apparently makes a great hunting knife. In addition, it’s just great all around. I used mine yesterday to open a package my wife received and also to cut wrapping paper for Christmas presents.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Just snagged a SE delica 4 over on the exchange, cheap
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I've used the Delica a fair bit as a small game knife, mostly on rabbits. Prepared quite a few meals with it too, when away from home.

It's a great knife for sure. My first Spyderco model, and although I wouldn't like it, I'm sure I could get away with using one as my only pocket knife.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@sharp guy
@wartstein
Thanks for the explanation and videos.

:)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:31 am

Why isn’t this ffg se available on all Delica 4’s?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:31 am

Why isn’t this ffg se available on all Delica 4’s?
... and also not on all Endura 4's? Works so great on the Endela...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I'm a Delica fan also.
As has been posted numerous times in this tread (great thread by the way) it is such a "jack of all trades" knife, and pretty easy to modify a little too (if one would feel so inclined - I am one of those who feel/felt so inclined)

I like a lot of different Spydercos for sure. The original Stretch FRN is a huge favorite, the PM2, the UKPKs, the Urban, and for sure the topic of this thread: The Delica.
Over the years I have carried a Delica a lot, and over the years have come to find that there were certain 'little' things that I thought/think would make it better. So, I began the journey... a little at a time.
First I removed as much metal as I could from the steel liners without affecting the function of the blade/backlock/backlock spring bar. That was a hard lesson to learn as I ruined the green handles, liners, and back spacer on my ZDP delica. Those are the 'lessons' you don't forget. I messed up, learned, and continued. Now, only my Cruwear and M390 (not shown) Delicas have full steel liners (or blades for that matter).

Not quite satisfied that it was as good as it could be, I looked to my favorite: the FRN Stretch I. I Really liked that drop point blade!! It added/adds a whole lot of function without taking anything away! Such a great blade shape (IMO). I also looked to another favorite: the drop point UKPK (kind of a Delica sized Stretch, that doesn't lock - or non-locking Hyker)...
Well, it took no time at all for me to grab a fine tipped marker and trace that UKPK drop point blade shape onto one of my Delicas (the grey handled one). I liked the way it looked! A lot!
Out to my little belt sander I went, with a glass of ice water, my gray handled Delica, a dust mask, and safety glasses. A few careful minutes later I had removed the metal I wanted to and had my preferred Delica in hand!
I did also thin the blade down a little behind the edge, on stones by hand - so it (as well as the other pictured) is now around 0.012 " BTE. Holy moly this thing passes through whatever I put it to SO EASILY AND EFFORTLESSLY! Lastly, if you look you'll see that I also smoothed out the bumps on the bottom of the handle(s) (to me, this is an improvement) - which is why I'd say to keep the handles FRN. For those who want to smooth out those bumps, we can do so easily with a bit of sand paper. For those who prefer the 'bumps', they're already there - no issue.

I've subtley mentioned on the forum that I thought Spyderco should make this model and call it the Hyker. The exception being to make it linerless, like the Salts. You'd have a 2.0 oz or less knife, Delica sized, and IMO a far better competitor for the Bugout (of which the Delica is almost exactly sized - length-)...
Perhaps that suggestion never got noticed and is now buried?
I'll humbly ask here again - Spyderco - could/would y'all please make the Hyker Delica? A drop point, FRN, linerless Delica. Keep the steel VG-10 or something stainless also please, as this knife is one to spend a lot of time outdoors.

The orange one below has spent over a thousand trail miles with me, in my right front pocket, across a whole lot of mountains to include, the Long Trail, the LHHT, the Foothills Trail, the Massanutten loop, Art Loeb, all the way to the top of Katahdin at the northern terminus of the AT (I didn't start with the orange handled one, but did half or more with it). And a whole, whole lot of miles on other shorter trails. It absolutely excels at all I have ever needed it to do (sapplings, branches, packages, cordage, food prep, fire prep, first aid,...)! Though I do wish it were linerless to be just a little lighter.
Though I have never used it for game processing, I do believe it would excel at that as well.

What good is all this typing with not a single photo!? lol (my Cruwear & M390 - both un-modded still - are obviously not in the photo(s) )

The top one is a Salt, and I've given it 'the finger choil mod' - which I can say I actually do not prefer after having done it, and used it. The regular Delica choil-less handle works just fine, if not better, for me.

and of course, the one that I have grown very fond of & attached to because of how much time we've spent together alone in the woods in the mountains on trails - and has always got the job needed done so well. My orange handled Delica Hyker

and I suppose all this talk of hiking might better stand up to scrutiny with a photo?
If you look close you'll see the clip of that orange handled Delica 'Hyker' on the outside of my right front pocket. Photo is of me at the northern terminus of the AT last year, standing next to the summit sign, feeling a flood of emotions to include, about as awesome as I've ever felt. That knife, to me, is priceless... and superior - as this thread states

u.w.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome thread. The Delica receives the most pocket time for me. Such a perfect all round knife, with a nice thin blade stock

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

u.w. wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 pm
...................................................................................
I did also thin the blade down a little behind the edge,
...................................................................................

u.w.
Well done u.w ! Awesome photos and tight work bro .... but I have to say that 0.012 behind the edge is quite low... it should come like that from the factory if you ask me. I only hope and pray that Sal reads these posts and will do something about this. It's a mistery to me why they ground the Delica so thick bte... all my ffg Delicas came > 0.025 bte from the factory :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

u.w. wrote:
I'm a Delica fan also.
[...]
u.w.
Great post. Although not exactly what you're wishing for a LC200N FFG Salt 2 would tick some of your boxes. I hope this variation of the Salt 2 becomes a reality sooner or later.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I need to convince my wife that I NEED a Salt 2. I was going to buy one and saw the GITD Delica and got that instead.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 am
I need to convince my wife that I NEED a Salt 2. I was going to buy one and saw the GITD Delica and got that instead.
Get you both one for an anniversary so you can both carry them
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
dman62

Post by dman62 »

The Delica and Para 2 are my favorite Spyderco's by far. Last Spydie I bought was a foliage green partial serrated Delica. A lot of people say it's not enough blade to have partial serrations but so far I've not found that to be the case, for me at least, (and I have the matching Endura to compare it to). The Delica carries great and is a great value. Sal definitely hit a home run when he designed it (one of many).
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Bought my first Delica -M390 version a while back and love it. Not only for the steel that performs great but I really do love the model. Very nice/smooth lock, simple design but feels great in the hand. Very lightweight. Probably isn't the best model for those with huge hands (check out the Endura if you do) but for me it is great. Kind of wish now I would have grabbed one of the Cru Wear models a while back but it's ok, I do love this M390 version. Knife tested at nearly 62 Rockwell. Depending on which future models are released I doubt this will be the last Delica I buy.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I had to smile when I saw my 5 and 7 year old nephews the other day, using this to try to pop open the plastic seals on a box of Lego.

I couldn’t fault their technique or their taste in knives. I’m sorry to say the edge left something to be desired though... :D

I used a real one to finish the job. ;) :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:45 pm
I had to smile when I saw my 5 and 7 year old nephews the other day, using this to try to pop open the plastic seals on a box of Lego.

I couldn’t fault their technique or their taste in knives. I’m sorry to say the edge left something to be desired though... :D

I used a real one to finish the job. ;) :)
:D :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Great job finishing the AT!!
u.w. wrote:
I'm a Delica fan also.
As has been posted numerous times in this tread (great thread by the way) it is such a "jack of all trades" knife, and pretty easy to modify a little too (if one would feel so inclined - I am one of those who feel/felt so inclined)

I like a lot of different Spydercos for sure. The original Stretch FRN is a huge favorite, the PM2, the UKPKs, the Urban, and for sure the topic of this thread: The Delica.
Over the years I have carried a Delica a lot, and over the years have come to find that there were certain 'little' things that I thought/think would make it better. So, I began the journey... a little at a time.
First I removed as much metal as I could from the steel liners without affecting the function of the blade/backlock/backlock spring bar. That was a hard lesson to learn as I ruined the green handles, liners, and back spacer on my ZDP delica. Those are the 'lessons' you don't forget. I messed up, learned, and continued. Now, only my Cruwear and M390 (not shown) Delicas have full steel liners (or blades for that matter).

Not quite satisfied that it was as good as it could be, I looked to my favorite: the FRN Stretch I. I Really liked that drop point blade!! It added/adds a whole lot of function without taking anything away! Such a great blade shape (IMO). I also looked to another favorite: the drop point UKPK (kind of a Delica sized Stretch, that doesn't lock - or non-locking Hyker)...
Well, it took no time at all for me to grab a fine tipped marker and trace that UKPK drop point blade shape onto one of my Delicas (the grey handled one). I liked the way it looked! A lot!
Out to my little belt sander I went, with a glass of ice water, my gray handled Delica, a dust mask, and safety glasses. A few careful minutes later I had removed the metal I wanted to and had my preferred Delica in hand!
I did also thin the blade down a little behind the edge, on stones by hand - so it (as well as the other pictured) is now around 0.012 " BTE. Holy moly this thing passes through whatever I put it to SO EASILY AND EFFORTLESSLY! Lastly, if you look you'll see that I also smoothed out the bumps on the bottom of the handle(s) (to me, this is an improvement) - which is why I'd say to keep the handles FRN. For those who want to smooth out those bumps, we can do so easily with a bit of sand paper. For those who prefer the 'bumps', they're already there - no issue.

I've subtley mentioned on the forum that I thought Spyderco should make this model and call it the Hyker. The exception being to make it linerless, like the Salts. You'd have a 2.0 oz or less knife, Delica sized, and IMO a far better competitor for the Bugout (of which the Delica is almost exactly sized - length-)...
Perhaps that suggestion never got noticed and is now buried?
I'll humbly ask here again - Spyderco - could/would y'all please make the Hyker Delica? A drop point, FRN, linerless Delica. Keep the steel VG-10 or something stainless also please, as this knife is one to spend a lot of time outdoors.

The orange one below has spent over a thousand trail miles with me, in my right front pocket, across a whole lot of mountains to include, the Long Trail, the LHHT, the Foothills Trail, the Massanutten loop, Art Loeb, all the way to the top of Katahdin at the northern terminus of the AT (I didn't start with the orange handled one, but did half or more with it). And a whole, whole lot of miles on other shorter trails. It absolutely excels at all I have ever needed it to do (sapplings, branches, packages, cordage, food prep, fire prep, first aid,...)! Though I do wish it were linerless to be just a little lighter.
Though I have never used it for game processing, I do believe it would excel at that as well.

What good is all this typing with not a single photo!? lol (my Cruwear & M390 - both un-modded still - are obviously not in the photo(s) )

The top one is a Salt, and I've given it 'the finger choil mod' - which I can say I actually do not prefer after having done it, and used it. The regular Delica choil-less handle works just fine, if not better, for me.

and of course, the one that I have grown very fond of & attached to because of how much time we've spent together alone in the woods in the mountains on trails - and has always got the job needed done so well. My orange handled Delica Hyker

and I suppose all this talk of hiking might better stand up to scrutiny with a photo?
If you look close you'll see the clip of that orange handled Delica 'Hyker' on the outside of my right front pocket. Photo is of me at the northern terminus of the AT last year, standing next to the summit sign, feeling a flood of emotions to include, about as awesome as I've ever felt. That knife, to me, is priceless... and superior - as this thread states

u.w.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 am
Great job finishing the AT!!
Thank you very much! An amazing experience to be sure!

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:34 pm
Great post. Although not exactly what you're wishing for a LC200N FFG Salt 2 would tick some of your boxes. I hope this variation of the Salt 2 becomes a reality sooner or later.
Agreed - it would & yes, that would be pretty cool to see. I've not used LC200N personally. Maybe one day,

elena86 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:16 pm
u.w. wrote:
I did also thin the blade down a little behind the edge,

u.w.
Well done u.w ! Awesome photos and tight work bro .... but I have to say that 0.012 behind the edge is quite low... it should come like that from the factory if you ask me. I only hope and pray that Sal reads these posts and will do something about this. It's a mistery to me why they ground the Delica so thick bte... all my ffg Delicas came > 0.025 bte from the factory :eek:

Thank you! And Yes, I agree that 0.012 behind the edge is quite low compared to factory. It works so amazingly well at that thickness (thinness) also! I also would not mind if some (many) of the knives came from the factory like that.
I just thinned down my BD1N drop point UKPK to 0.010 bte yesterday. I cut saplings and vines for over an hour in my back yard today with it, and had no issues at all. It flies through paper, plastic, zip-ties, and cardboard all of which I cut at work yesterday and today.

I'm loving seeing all these photos of all these Superior Delicas!
u.w.