The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thewoodpecker

Re: The Superior Delica

Post by thewoodpecker »

Caly 3/3.5 for the win here. Wartstein and I were having a friendly debate on another thread, so I won't get into the nitty gritty here. I agree with some other comments that you have to get the Caly in-hand to really appreciate it and that it is one of, if not the best Sal design. Really looking forward to the FRN model and hoping it gets this exceptional platform into more hands. The Delica is still a great design, especially the Wharny and has its place in the line.
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am
Yeah, the Caly3 is clearly at the top of the heap, but the Delica is better. I note the Delica is still going strong but the Caly is history.
I believe that the Caly being "history" may have more to do with production issues than with the merits of the design, thus the future LW model.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 am
Said it in the other thread, will say it once more:

For me the Delica clearly is still the best Spyderco in its size range (if you don´t count the Chaparral in, which is a bit smaller) - main "competitors"being Native 5 (which has in fact not more cutting edge than the Chap), Para 3 and Sage.

First thing: Especially in that particular size range and for larger hands a finger choil makes little sense imho (cause it almost forces one to choke up on it to get a good four finger grip, while the Delica has enough grip area on the actual handle plus you can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso)
The Sage feels like it was made for my hand. The Q Ball and Chap are close to the Sage. The Native 5 is the 3rd best feeling Spydie in my hand. Adding a zip tie to the Native 5's spyder hole replicates the low hump height of the Sage and Chap for me.

To your other point, my large hands need a choil in a Delica sized knife. I can't choke up on the ricasso. The Delica's handle is too small for my wide fingers, and the points on the handle hit my fingers in all the wrong places on top of that. Clearly the Delica works well for you, and its popularity makes it clear the Delica works well for many others as well. However, using "you" language when you should be using "I" language, and stating that something "makes little sense" based only on your sample size of one, expresses a very narrow and closed minded viewpoint.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

As I’ve said elsewhere, the Delica is not among my most favorite Spydies, but it is the best folder I have ever experienced.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Chap LW > Delica...imo
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 am
Wartstein wrote:

For me the Delica clearly is still the best Spyderco in its size range (if you don´t count the Chaparral in, which is a bit smaller) - main "competitors"being Native 5 (which has in fact not more cutting edge than the Chap), Para 3 and Sage.

First thing: Especially in that particular size range and for larger hands a finger choil makes little sense imho (cause it almost forces one to choke up on it to get a good four finger grip, while the Delica has enough grip area on the actual handle plus you can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso)

To your other point, my large hands need a choil in a Delica sized knife. I can't choke up on the ricasso. The Delica's handle is too small for my wide fingers, and the points on the handle hit my fingers in all the wrong places on top of that. Clearly the Delica works well for you, and its popularity makes it clear the Delica works well for many others as well. However, using "you" language when you should be using "I" language, and stating that something "makes little sense" based only on your sample size of one, expresses a very narrow and closed minded viewpoint.
That's interesting... the Delica actually offers more grip area on the handle than a PM 2 and about the same as a Stretch 1 and enough for my more XL than L hands.
So the PM 2 grip consequently should be too short for you, since the Delica handle already is...

And I am sorry, but I could say that "narrow and closed minded" rather is not to understand the meaning of " in my humble opinion". But I won't say it.. ;)

And just in my humble opinion it actually does not make a lot of sense on a handle that COULD accomodate four fingers shorten the grip area so that it does NOT, just for having a choil that additionally takes away cutting edge.
But that's just me of course, who shares his opinion like it is meant to be on this forum.

For saying "you" instead of "I": My apologies, I am not a Native speaker in English, in German you could/would say "Du" which means "you".
Still: You CAN'T choke up on a Ricasso?? :confused:
Why is that??
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have many models I think I prefer, or I enjoy to carry more than the delica... but if I was stuck with it, I’d be happy!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

We are entitled to our own opinions but let's state the facts that really show how the Delica is indeed superior:

You want FFG? The Delica gives you.
You want Saber Grind? The Delica gives you.
You want SE? Yeah
You want CE? Sure
Wave? You got it
All black? ;)
All SS? ;)
Do you like music? How about a little Jazzdelica?
Different production steels? Vg-10 and Zdp-189 will not let you down... but do you fancy Damascus?
Sprints? Sure, blade steels or handle?
Colors? How many?
Zome? ;)
GITD? :p
Salt? Yeah, hawkbill, regular or wharncliff?

This is the market (people) way of saying the Delica is indeed the BEST Spyderco ever.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 am
Wartstein wrote:

That's interesting... the Delica actually offers more grip area on the handle than a PM 2 and about the same as a Stretch 1 and enough for my more XL than L hands.
So the PM 2 grip consequently should be too short for you, since the Delica handle already is...

And I am sorry, but I could say that "narrow and closed minded" rather is not to understand the meaning of " in my humble opinion". But I won't say it.. ;)

And just in my humble opinion it actually does not make a lot of sense on a handle that COULD accomodate four fingers shorten the grip area so that it does NOT, just for having a choil that additionally takes away cutting edge.
But that's just me of course, who shares his opinion like it is meant to be on this forum.

For saying "you" instead of "I": My apologies, I am not a Native speaker in English, in German you could/would say "Du" which means "you".
Still: You CAN'T choke up on a Ricasso?? :confused:
Why is that??
My apologies for forgetting you're not a native English speaker. Your English is far better than my German is, or ever will be. Also, further apologies for projecting my own background onto you. I spent quite a bit of time working in group therapy. One of the things we teach participants to do is to say "I" instead of "you". It's become a pet peeve of mine.

That aside, you asked a valid question. No, I can't choke up on the ricasso of a Delica. The ricasso area is too short for my wide forefingers to fit into safely.

As fr handle length / blade length / cutting edge comparisons: The picture in the third post of this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80516#p1249299 - illustrates that the Delica's ricasso can be converted into a choil without any loss of edge length. The Byrd Meadowlark squeezes the same length blade as the Delica into 6mm shorter handle, adds a choil, and only loses 4mm of edge length. The Medowlark just isn't available in nicer steels. The Sage series has a 3mm longer blade and 2mm longer cutting edge, but in a 2mm shorter handle than the Delica. I'd love to have 2.5mm blade thickness Sage. Maybe a liner-less Sage 4 XL slim lightweight? :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

My first Spyderco was an AUS-8 Delica, which I bought 22 years ago this month. Since then, I’ve acquired more iterations of the Delica than any other Spyderco model, and more than any other knife model from other brands.

That said, I think there are some other models I like more. But for an all-around, single-bladed EDC knife, I still feel that the Delica is possibly the best. It’s also a great base model from which you can make other choices. For a while, I liked my G10 Para 3 better, but since then I’ve gone back to liking the Delica better (FFG version). A full SE FFG version would be great.

Jim
elena86

Post by elena86 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm
My first Spyderco was an AUS-8 Delica, which I bought 22 years ago this month. Since then, I’ve acquired more iterations of the Delica than any other Spyderco model, and more than any other knife model from other brands.

That said, I think there are some other models I like more. But for an all-around, single-bladed EDC knife, I still feel that the Delica is possibly the best. It’s also a great base model from which you can make other choices. For a while, I liked my G10 Para 3 better, but since then I’ve gone back to liking the Delica better (FFG version). A full SE FFG version would be great.

Jim

I allways wondered why on earth they didn't release the SE FFG version :eek: HUGE mistake if you ask me ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm
We are entitled to our own opinions but let's state the facts that really show how the Delica is indeed superior:

You want SE? Yeah
You want CE? Sure
Wave? You got it
All black? ;)
All SS? ;)
Different production steels? Vg-10 and Zdp-189 will not let you down... but do you fancy Damascus?
Colors? How many?
Zome? ;)

This is the market (people) way of saying the Delica is indeed the BEST Spyderco ever.
If by "best" you mean has the largest mass market appeal, then I'd agree. If by best, you mean makes Spyderco large amounts of money, I wouldn't doubt it. But the Delica is the Honda Civic or Accord or knives, while the Sage 2 was the original Acura NSX, and the Sage 5 is the new NSX.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this.
This is describing me with the Endura. I'm so used to it my muscle memory allows me to get it out and open faster than I can my autos. I have to force myself to slow down and be more subtle when I'm opening it around others.

I think even after I'm toe tag dead and on the slab my hand will still be drawing and opening then closing the Endura. :D It is the one knife I'd be comfortable using in complete darkness.

Joe
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I hear "superior delica" and think "Endura?"

:D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
James Y

Post by James Y »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:34 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Jim

I allways wondered why on earth they didn't release the SE FFG version :eek: HUGE mistake if you ask me ...
Agreed. I’m guessing they either didn’t feel the demand for serrations was there in a FFG format, or felt that the FFG Delica’s thin blade stock might not support SE(?). More likely the former.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:47 pm
But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this.
This is describing me with the Endura. I'm so used to it my muscle memory allows me to get it out and open faster than I can my autos. I have to force myself to slow down and be more subtle when I'm opening it around others.

I think even after I'm toe tag dead and on the slab my hand will still be drawing and opening then closing the Endura. :D It is the one knife I'd be comfortable using in complete darkness.

Joe
I love your description! :D

Jim
tangent

Post by tangent »

We just need an LC200N version of the Delica...a Salt, I guess.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

With the Stainless, G10 or titanium scales they are fine although smaller than I normally like.

I prefer the Stretch in G10 and larger folders personally like the Military.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:03 am
Caly 3/3.5 for the win here. Wartstein and I were having a friendly debate on another thread, so I won't get into the nitty gritty here. I agree with some other comments that you have to get the Caly in-hand to really appreciate it and that it is one of, if not the best Sal design. Really looking forward to the FRN model and hoping it gets this exceptional platform into more hands. The Delica is still a great design, especially the Wharny and has its place in the line.
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am
Yeah, the Caly3 is clearly at the top of the heap, but the Delica is better. I note the Delica is still going strong but the Caly is history.
I believe that the Caly being "history" may have more to do with production issues than with the merits of the design, thus the future LW model.
There were some QC issues with later Caly3. It’s too bad too. It is one of my favorite knives and the one that brought me back to Spyderco so long ago. However, there is no way it ever out sold the tried and true Delica. The Delica has been through 4 generations, plus salt versions, has had many Sprint Runs and exclusives, and it can be had in ffg, saber grind, serrated edge, plain edge, wood scales, G10, frn, steel, and titanium scales. I know I left some things out, but the Delica is that popular for a reason.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm

You want SE? Yeah
You want CE? Sure
Wave? You got it
All black? ;)
All SS? ;)
Colors? How many?
Zome? ;)

I think so. If it were made in Golden it would be even better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Joe
I like the Endura but I have to modify the grip slightly to make it comfortable. If it were not for that, then all bets are off.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050