The Superior Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

The Superior Delica

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm

Two recent threads, one by Hobnob called Smile, it’s a Delica, and another by Tabo called Delica GITD FRN, made me pull out my Delicas. Upon doing so I got to wondering why I ever needed to buy another knife? Every time something new comes along that seems to be a better solution I consider buying one or actually do. But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this. The blade is adequately long, the handle is very slim and yet just long enough for my hand, and the blade is very thin and slicey but not too thin. Why do I continue to think that there is a better mouse trap so to speak When clearly the Delica is as good or better than anything else out there. I just bought another Delica, a glow in the dark version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 am

Said it in the other thread, will say it once more:

For me the Delica clearly is still the best Spyderco in its size range (if you don´t count the Chaparral in, which is a bit smaller) - main "competitors"being Native 5 (which has in fact not more cutting edge than the Chap), Para 3 and Sage.

First thing: Especially in that particular size range and for larger hands a finger choil makes little sense imho (cause it almost forces one to choke up on it to get a good four finger grip, while the Delica has enough grip area on the actual handle plus you can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso)

Second thing: Blade stock. 2.5 mm are really strong enough for a blade in that size and make the Delica a superior slicer (think of it: The 3.7 mm of the Para 3 (same cutting edge length) is an increase of 50 (!) % in blade stock)

Third thing: Weight and carriability: The Delica has steel liners but STILL is lighter than all the linerless LW versions of Para 3, Native 5 and the upcoming Sage LW). Plus a very slim carry in the pocket.

Fourth thing: Variations available, when it comes to colors, steel, and especially blade shape and styles (Wharnie (SE and PE), SE, PE, CE, FFG, SG....)

And just for my personal preference the combo of backlock and FRN is the best anyway.

A "maximum edge length edition" Delica (lengthen the blade so it completely fills the handle when closed plus extend the edge all the way back to the handle) could very well get one of my most carried folders (and would have more actual cutting edge than for example Endela, PM2, and even Stretch 1).
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Ric
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm
Location: Austria / Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Ric » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:42 am

You should consider the Para 3 lightweight.

Choil, compression lock.
I prefer it over the Delica.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:51 am

Ric wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:42 am
You should consider the Para 3 lightweight.

Choil, compression lock.
I prefer it over the Delica.
If you're talking to me, thanks for the suggestion, but you just CAN'T have actually read my post right above yours... ;)
For me personally the Para 3 "does it all wrong" and I' d not only prefer the Delica, but also Native and Sage over it any day (Para 3: Thickest stock, still rather fragile tip / least amount of usable grip area behind the choil (have to choke up for a good four finger grip)/ comp lock / wire clip... all not for me. But I am sure glad for the many who enjoy it! :) )
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby elena86 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:18 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm
Two recent threads, one by Hobnob called Smile, it’s a Delica, and another by Tabo called Delica GITD FRN, made me pull out my Delicas. Upon doing so I got to wondering why I ever needed to buy another knife? Every time something new comes along that seems to be a better solution I consider buying one or actually do. But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this. The blade is adequately long, the handle is very slim and yet just long enough for my hand, and the blade is very thin and slicey but not too thin. Why do I continue to think that there is a better mouse trap so to speak When clearly the Delica is as good or better than anything else out there. I just bought another Delica, a glow in the dark version.

The answer being ... :D

P.S I only hope Sal will keep the "high-hollow-ground-thin-behind-the-edge-Delica" project alive and kicking. THAT would be the perfect mid size edc Spydie in my book :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

Catamount123
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Catamount123 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am

Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/C1 ... -Caly3/235

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
I don't get people who only carry one knife :confused: ;)

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
The Caly 3 (and 3.5) look great!

But I think the Caly is "just" a rival to the Native, Sage and Para 3 in being another small Spydie with a choil, while the choilless Delica with its in return generous, actual grip area remains to be rather unique especially among the backlock models.
Funny thing is: When it comes to closed length, the Caly 3.5 has almost the exact same dimensions as the Delica, but a much longer blade...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Catamount123
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Catamount123 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am
But I think the Caly is "just" a rival to the Native, Sage and Para 3 in being another small Spydie with a choil...

I understand this thinking, but the Caly 3 really needs to be gotten “in hand” to appreciate it. One of Sal's very best designs, IMO.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :confused: ;)

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 1166
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby JuPaul » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 am

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/C1 ... -Caly3/235

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
I'm a huge delica fan, but the Caly models have been on my wishlist for a long time - they strike me as delicas for people who prefer choils and g10. I'm hoping to see another g10 sprint of both the 3 and 3.5.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20794
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Evil D » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:48 am

If the handle didn't have the points I'd be on board. If it were just shaped like the Harpy that would be enough.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 am
Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/C1 ... -Caly3/235

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
I'm a huge delica fan, but the Caly models have been on my wishlist for a long time - they strike me as delicas for people who prefer choils and g10. I'm hoping to see another g10 sprint of both the 3 and 3.5.
Yes, especially the Caly 3.5 is very interesting: Essentially you have a Delica in the pocket, but when unfolding it a blade longer than a Stretch 2 and still a choil...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 am

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:18 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm
Two recent threads, one by Hobnob called Smile, it’s a Delica, and another by Tabo called Delica GITD FRN, made me pull out my Delicas. Upon doing so I got to wondering why I ever needed to buy another knife? Every time something new comes along that seems to be a better solution I consider buying one or actually do. But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this. The blade is adequately long, the handle is very slim and yet just long enough for my hand, and the blade is very thin and slicey but not too thin. Why do I continue to think that there is a better mouse trap so to speak When clearly the Delica is as good or better than anything else out there. I just bought another Delica, a glow in the dark version.

The answer being ... :D

P.S I only hope Sal will keep the "high-hollow-ground-thin-behind-the-edge-Delica" project alive and kicking. THAT would be the perfect mid size edc Spydie in my book :eek:
I want to see it. I usually prefer ffg, but in a skinner I like a thin high hollow grind.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:28 am

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/C1 ... -Caly3/235

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
I have had one for years, even longer than a Delica. I still prefer the Delica overall.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am
Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
The Caly 3 (and 3.5) look great!

But I think the Caly is "just" a rival to the Native, Sage and Para 3 in being another small Spydie with a choil, while the choilless Delica with its in return generous, actual grip area remains to be rather unique especially among the backlock models.
Funny thing is: When it comes to closed length, the Caly 3.5 has almost the exact same dimensions as the Delica, but a much longer blade...
Yeah, the Caly3 is clearly at the top of the heap, but the Delica is better. I note the Delica is still going strong but the Caly is history.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 am

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am
But I think the Caly is "just" a rival to the Native, Sage and Para 3 in being another small Spydie with a choil...

I understand this thinking, but the Caly 3 really needs to be gotten “in hand” to appreciate it. One of Sal's very best designs, IMO.

I totally believe you and would like to try a Caly, wether 3 or 3.5 !

All I want to say: If in that size range one wants to have specifially a "no choi-"l, but in return "generous actual handle-" knife in the "quiver", the Delica is the (only?) way to go, and so I hope it does not get "cqui-ed" into yet another choil-knife, since there are already several in that particular size range.

But if I were into smaller knives like I am into larger ones, I´d certainly have Delicas, and Calys (and Natives),just like I have now Enduras, Stretches,PM2, till very recently Millie and Pac Salt, so knives with and without a choil, so I can choose (in fact I have a ("choiled") Chap anyway together with my Delica ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Wartstein » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:33 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:18 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm
Two recent threads, one by Hobnob called Smile, it’s a Delica, and another by Tabo called Delica GITD FRN, made me pull out my Delicas. Upon doing so I got to wondering why I ever needed to buy another knife? Every time something new comes along that seems to be a better solution I consider buying one or actually do. But then with knife in hand I look at the Delica and think to myself there is no Knife of its size better than this. The blade is adequately long, the handle is very slim and yet just long enough for my hand, and the blade is very thin and slicey but not too thin. Why do I continue to think that there is a better mouse trap so to speak When clearly the Delica is as good or better than anything else out there. I just bought another Delica, a glow in the dark version.

The answer being ... :D

P.S I only hope Sal will keep the "high-hollow-ground-thin-behind-the-edge-Delica" project alive and kicking. THAT would be the perfect mid size edc Spydie in my book :eek:
I want to see it. I usually prefer ffg, but in a skinner I like a thin high hollow grind.

I´d also like to see it! But even more so in the Endela platform (which for me personally is a (small to) "mid size edc".
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby prndltech » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:50 am

Can we count the Tasman salt 2 in here as another version?
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

GarageBoy
Member
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Brooklyn NY

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby GarageBoy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am

The Mantra 2 was a great option as the skinny delica - kinda wish spyderco did more slim profile platforms

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 1166
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby JuPaul » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:34 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 am
Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am
Doc Dan,

As far as a Spyder rival to the Delica, do you have, or have any experience with, the Caly 3? If you don't, I recommend looking into it. It is discontinued, but can be found at a reasonable price. If the forthcoming Caly 3.5 Lightweight does well, I am hoping we will also see a Caly 3 Lightweight.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details/C1 ... -Caly3/235

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113CF/298

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C113GGR/1067
I'm a huge delica fan, but the Caly models have been on my wishlist for a long time - they strike me as delicas for people who prefer choils and g10. I'm hoping to see another g10 sprint of both the 3 and 3.5.
Yes, especially the Caly 3.5 is very interesting: Essentially you have a Delica in the pocket, but when unfolding it a blade longer than a Stretch 2 and still a choil...
Exactly. I'd love to have one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: The Superior Delica

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:47 am

I like the Delica, moreso now that it glows, but I don't know if it will be able to oust the Baby Horn. I will definitely be carrying the Delica come Monday and we will see how it goes from there.

I want to swap either a Hap40 Wharnie or a Lil Matriarch blade into it eventually.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Clevett00@gmail.com, DukeNiemand, GrandallK, Mushroom, Spydergirl88, tbdoc4kids, The Meat man, Wright.88 and 72 guests