Knifejoy Exclusive Para Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive Para Military 2

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Spyderco collectors are just like limited air Jordan collectors now...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Been lurking in this thread more than participating, but we saw similar discussions around the CruCarta Shaman release.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the overall marketing/supply/demand discussion is perceived value due to scarcity.

It's a flaw in human psychology that we aren't happiest when we have our own "needs" met (e.g. I got the sprint run/exclusive, yay!). Instead, we are happiest when we have our own "needs" met when others do NOT (e.g. I got the sprint run/exclusive and almost NOBODY ELSE DID, HOORAY).

Thus our happiness is less determined by an evaluation of our own desires and whether they're fulfilled; instead, it's all a relative comparison to people we consider our "peers", whether that's fellow knife knuts, collectors, etc.

This is also where "keeping up with the Joneses" comes from.

I am hopeful for a day when our species grows beyond the nonsense of this mentality. I certainly suffer from it just as much as anyone! ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

How about being grateful to these dealers for fronting the money, and assuming the risk, to give us an opportunity to get something that wouldn't be available otherwise, rather than whining about how they go about selling it?

Would you rather they just didn't bother? Sure they make money on some of them, but it's not their bread & butter. I'm pretty sure commissioning an exclusive is motivated much more by a passion for knives, than making a lot of money.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those last two posts...very well said!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Catamount123 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 am
How about being grateful to these dealers for fronting the money, and assuming the risk, to give us an opportunity to get something that wouldn't be available otherwise, rather than whining about how they go about selling it?

Would you rather they just didn't bother? Sure they make money on some of them, but it's not their bread & butter. I'm pretty sure commissioning an exclusive is motivated much more by a passion for knives, than making a lot of money.

A sprint of the paramilitary 2 is about as far from taking a risk that I can think of, in regards to selling knives.

In fact, I’d consider one of the only things that is close to a guaranteed sell out.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

This drop did not bring me any knife joy. Kinda bummed I missed out on this one. I liked the color.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:46 am
Catamount123 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 am

A sprint of the paramilitary 2 is about as far from taking a risk that I can think of, in regards to selling knives.

In fact, I’d consider one of the only things that is close to a guaranteed sell out.
It's still a big upfront investment for a small business, and I'm happy for Knifejoy - they seem like a great little company and they picked a winning combo. Hopefully they'll do another run. Personally I love having the opportunity to get these cool configurations, and I just accept that I'll miss a few of them. And when I do, I know another equally desirable model is just around the corner.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am
This drop did not bring me any knife joy. Kinda bummed I missed out on this one. I liked the color.

Me neither. I’m starting a class action lawsuit. We have all experienced trauma with this botched launch and we need compensation.

Please join my class action suit against knifejoy.

This is sarcasm. I hope you caught that.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Yesterday I wasn't real happy not to score especially because I made it to checkout. It feels a little like a lottery and nobody likes loosing.

Later in the afternoon I was given another chance to buy. And I went for it and it failed again! I called KnifeJoy and they said "it shouldn't have done that". I guess they are talking about the "free" BigCommerce shopping cart web software they use.

This morning I feel fine. I get to save that money for something else. And there are plenty of something elses out there.

As far as flippers go, I could care less really because they are the ones that have to put out their cash and go through the selling process.

<-----------------------> email from KnifeJoy with invitation to complete my order right now. <----------------------->
Hi SKYBLADEFROMTHE,

You recently visited our online store and we noticed that you didn't complete your order for the following items:

Spyderco C81GPNGR2 Paramilitary 2 KnifeJoy Exclusive Lime Green Knife
1 x Spyderco C81GPNGR2 Paramilitary 2 KnifeJoy Exclusive Lime Green Knife

To complete your order right now, just click on the link below:
Complete Your Order

We look forward to receiving your order!

KnifeJoy
http://knifejoy.com/

KnifeJoy is powered by BigCommerce. Launch your own store for free with BigCommerce.

Unsubscribe from future emails like this
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I saw on Instagram that they're thinking about doing another run of these. Also said they're hoping to do dlc runs of both the pm2 and para3's. No doubt they'll go bigger for all those, so good news, guys.
- Julia

BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:33 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm
.....Empathize with those who miss out. The facts are these, Sal has said this is the best they can do and that is just really the end of it.
Keep in mind that these dealer exclusive runs are commissioned by the dealers. The dealers have to come up with the money to fund the run. Some of them are smaller dealers and they may not have the money to fund a large run. They're doing it more to promote their name and not necessarily for the profit.
The dealers are 100% doing it for the profit. I can guarantee you that no dealer is just breaking even or taking a loss when commissioning an exclusive. Quite the opposite, sprints and exclusives are likely big money makers. The quick turnaround of capital allows investment in other products to sell. An item sitting on a shelf is an opportunity cost for the dealer.

As far as the quantity ordered, you're assuming that the distributor/retailer gets to decide which is highly unlikely. Spyderco doesn't have infinite manufacturing capacity.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Given the color, the season, ebay flippers, and the flood of tears in Sdydieville...
I dub this one the "Grinch"

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:15 pm
Given the color, the season, ebay flippers, and the flood of tears in Sdydieville...

CG
Well done!!! 😂
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:

CG

To all of the grinches shedding tears in Spydieville...

The Straight Spine Stretch is a better user than the PM2 in every way except maybe the steel, depending on what you value in steel performance. Oh, and they are still available, the ivory model is a one-time only sprint run, and it is a fraction of the cost of a PM2. And you can dye it lime green or whatever weird color you want. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:57 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG

To all of the grinches shedding tears in Spydieville...

The Straight Spine Stretch is a better user than the PM2 in every way except maybe the steel, depending on what you value in steel performance. Oh, and they are still available, the ivory model is a one-time only sprint run, and it is a fraction of the cost of a PM2. And you can dye it lime green or whatever weird color you want. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. :D
I'm guessing the fidget factor of the PM2 weighs heavily these days compared to the good ole solid backlock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

And you can dye it lime green or whatever weird color you want. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. :D

Not quite lime but
IMG_7006.jpg
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DTPrime wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm
And you can dye it lime green or whatever weird color you want. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. :D

Not quite lime but

IMG_7006.jpg
Nice! I was hoping to see some dye jobs on these.
- Julia

cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I wanted one of these. I missed it as usual...
I discussed it with a fellow knife bro today and said " I don't mind paying more for a premium steel and gonzo scale color. I tire of the instant sellout of decent steel options. My money will just go elsewhere, because I do not buy from the secondary market. Oh well."

I simply do not have the time or inclination to be be the first in the queue. And I am turned off
by the mad rush to place the order. To me, it is unseemly.

It is what it is...and I simply will not participate. It would be great to be able to order some blades in the steel and scale color you like. Until that happens...well, there are many other avenues to explore.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

cistercian wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 pm
I wanted one of these. I missed it as usual...
I discussed it with a fellow knife bro today and said " I don't mind paying more for a premium steel and gonzo scale color. I tire of the instant sellout of decent steel options. My money will just go elsewhere, because I do not buy from the secondary market. Oh well."

I simply do not have the time or inclination to be be the first in the queue. And I am turned off
by the mad rush to place the order. To me, it is unseemly.

It is what it is...and I simply will not participate. It would be great to be able to order some blades in the steel and scale color you like. Until that happens...well, there are many other avenues to explore.

That’s why I’m thankful BBS exists.

If I want a sprint they do, which i almost always do, then I have no need to obsess over when it will drop. It simply becomes available and I can buy it whenever.

Stress free. And fun.

These ridiculous sprints where the supply is 1/5 of the demand and they sell out in seconds is just tiresome. It isn’t fun. It’s stressful and disappointing. The opposite of what a hobby is supposed to be.

Oh well.