Knifejoy Exclusive Para Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive Para Military 2

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:04 pm
Bigbangbilly wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:26 pm

I think a lot of people thought to make a nice buy to gain some dollars on ebay? And are disappointment now?

Agreed! "but muh side hustle!! i am never buying another knife to flip from you again!"
Proof or it is just speculation, there are just not that many of them on any given run, what I find interesting is that BBS sells on eBay and how can they do that with those eBay fees of 20% ? might help explain the overpriced shipping no?

Read the comments on IG. A lot of people talking about how they had two in their cart. The ones complaining the loudest. They are pissed because they didn't get their knives to flip.

I didn't try for this, but in the comments it sounded like they had a CAPTCHA in there so hopefully that prevented *SOME* of the bots. There are more sophisticated bots than can solve CAPTCHAs, so maybe some of those were being used too.

They really should have limited to 1 per household. All dealers should do this initially, then open it the next day (if any remain) to unlimited for people who actually want multiples for gifts, safe queens, etc. They also should scrub the list of orders to look for multiples and cancel and relist the orders from rule breakers. It appeared BHQ did this as some Dodos were popping back into inventory for a few hours.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:33 am
The comments on their Instagram page from angry customers is pretty intense. I don’t understand why people react this way. I don’t think I ever will.
Seems like we see this almost every sprint or exclusive run now. I understand being disappointed but some of the reactions are just plain childish.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ncvarmint

Post by ncvarmint »

I got my order in at 12:18 eastern time and it was as quick as any other day on a checkout speed
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Bigbangbilly wrote:

I think a lot of people thought to make a nice buy to gain some dollars on ebay? And are disappointment now?

Agreed! "but muh side hustle!! i am never buying another knife to flip from you again!"
Proof or it is just speculation, there are just not that many of them on any given run, what I find interesting is that BBS sells on eBay and how can they do that with those eBay fees of 20% ? might help explain the overpriced shipping no?

Read the comments on IG. A lot of people talking about how they had two in their cart. The ones complaining the loudest. They are pissed because they didn't get their knives to flip.

I didn't try for this, but in the comments it sounded like they had a CAPTCHA in there so hopefully that prevented *SOME* of the bots. There are more sophisticated bots than can solve CAPTCHAs, so maybe some of those were being used too.

They really should have limited to 1 per household. All dealers should do this initially, then open it the next day (if any remain) to unlimited for people who actually want multiples for gifts, safe queens, etc. They also should scrub the list of orders to look for multiples and cancel and relist the orders from rule breakers. It appeared BHQ did this as some Dodos were popping back into inventory for a few hours.

I can only speak for myself, but I *always* buy multiples of knives I want and I have never flipped a knife, ever.

I literally own 7 of the m4/jade millies, and 6 of the jade/dlc m4 para 2's. I haven't sold a single one of them, and won't.

Don't assume that everyone who wants multiples wants to flip them. I just want 2 to keep. One to use, and one to keep nice for collection.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I was tempted to get one of these but ultimately decided to pass on it. I checked in today 2 hours after the scheduled drop curious to see if any were still around; nope, all gone. So I came here to get a picture of how it went down. These went much quicker than I anticipated. Congrats to those that got them ... your lives will be forever improved & fulfilled going forward; sorry to those who didn't ... your lives will be forever ruined and empty going forward. Amazing the impact a knife can have on someone's life!!!

I was amused that some yoyo was doing pre-orders for these on ebay yesterday for $99. I questioned myself as to how someone could possibly do that and make money ... so I read the description which stated that the auction was not for the knife but just for the guys services to get the knife for you. You would still have to pay for everything else.

These Spyderco drops have elevated to a new level of ridiculousness...

My .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 pm
I disagree with you 100% What is happening is 100% predictable and it is only going to get worse over time.

People are voicing their growing frustration over a selling practice that is quite frankly according to Sal the best they can do to keep creativity flowing, as such I accept what Sal has said. I also think it is a mistake that is hurting Spyderco's brand in the long run.

It is a mistake to confuse this for some indication of society at large or singling out just one business, just one retailer, it is the way things are being sold that is the issue we just had this a few days back with Blade HQ and their flash sellout of the Dodo. What you are seeing is built up cumulative hostility over people not being able to purchase what has been hyped up and led them to believe they need.

Great job on the marketing the lack of ability to deliver is upsetting folks.

Bottom lining it people are not happy with this way of selling what they want to buy and this is I guarantee you turning people against the Spyderco Brand not just the retailer who is taking it on the chin in the short run.

People want to feel good over a purchase not upset because they can't, because too few were made or too few are available and the rush demand it causes where sites can not keep up with the load on their resources.

People vowing not to do bushiness with companies ever again due to the way they are conducting said business is not simple making people or business or what ever disposable that is a gross exaggeration coming from a personal point of view which to me is very odd isolationist and victim oriented.

What is happening is people are upset and are letting it be known and everyone has the right to vote with their wallet.

Vowing not to do business with a business because of the way they conduct said business should be a wake-up call to all the bushiness involved if not well keep loosing customers and all will be taken care of in due time.

Reminds me of a Pizza joint here in town they built a brand new beautiful building then they kept upsetting their customers. It was not long until the rival across the street wound up occupying their new building.
These are high-demand LIMITED runs. Like a lot of things in life there are no guarantees. Maybe KnifeJoy should've offered a participation award so everyone has something to feel good about. :rolleyes:
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm
grep wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
The comments on their Instagram page from angry customers is pretty intense. I don’t understand why people react this way. I don’t think I ever will.
They were 20 mins late bro, that's not how a drop works!

Yes, being late is disappointing. But people make mistakes. Vowing to never purchase from a company again because of a mistake or technical issue is very extreme in my opinion. As a result so many people in society these days seem quick to turn their back or throw away people/companies/things because of a single mistake. It’s insane.
I disagree with you 100% What is happening is 100% predictable and it is only going to get worse over time.

People are voicing their growing frustration over a selling practice that is quite frankly according to Sal the best they can do to keep creativity flowing, as such I accept what Sal has said. I also think it is a mistake that is hurting Spyderco's brand in the long run.

It is a mistake to confuse this for some indication of society at large or singling out just one business, just one retailer, it is the way things are being sold that is the issue we just had this a few days back with Blade HQ and their flash sellout of the Dodo. What you are seeing is built up cumulative hostility over people not being able to purchase what has been hyped up and led them to believe they need.

Bottom lining it people are not happy with this way of selling what they want to buy and this is I guarantee you turning people against the Spyderco Brand not just the retailer who is taking it on the chin in the short run.

People want to feel good over a purchase not upset because they can't, because too few were made or too few are available and the rush demand it causes where sites can not keep up with the load on their resources.

People vowing not to do bushiness with companies ever again due to the way they are conducting said business is not simple making people or business or what ever disposable that is a gross exaggeration coming from a personal point of view which to me is very odd isolationist and victim oriented.

What is happening is people are upset and are letting it be known and everyone has the right to vote with their wallet.

Vowing not to do business with a business because of the way they conduct said business should be a wake-up call to all the bushiness involved if not well keep loosing customers and all will be taken care of in due time.

Reminds me of a Pizza joint here in town they built a brand new beautiful building then they kept upsetting their customers. It was not long until the rival across the street wound up occupying their new building.
HA I bet those vows get broken as soon as the para 3 version drops.
grep

Post by grep »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 pm

These are high-demand LIMITED runs. Like a lot of things in life there are no guarantees. Maybe KnifeJoy should've offered a participation award so everyone has something to feel good about. :rolleyes:
Pretty smug.
No one is contesting limitedness or guarantees, they are just upset that the company didn't deliver on their promise. Totally reasonable response imo.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

steelcity16 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
Bigbangbilly wrote:

Like you I did not try for this either. I have all the PM2's I am ever going to need, until perhaps the next evolution or Maybe S45VN turns out to be a great Super Steel.

I am not a flipper nor do I like the practice but the question remains who really cares?

The retailer and the manufacturer still get their money.

The flipper despite their practice is still a buyer, in fact may even be a better buyer than the ones who do not flip knives.

I maintain a customer is still a customer no matter where they end on the food chain their feelings and desires as a paying customer therefore remain valid and should be observed.

The practice of limiting 1 per household is not a good nor profitable business decision but a reactionary one to keep a customer base as mollified as possible due to short amounts of stock.

First rule of retail sell, sell, sell. Never let a customer out of the store! get them to buy a pair of pants even if you have to give them a pair.

Two pairs or nothing at all was the saying of a local haberdashery in Pittsburgh many years ago ran by an old school Jewish family.

They were good friends of my mentor and as a kid I loved those guys they always had something funny to say and always picked up the tab when we went to nice lunches, they did a phenomenal business and had all the repeat customers they could stand.

Retail is on the rocks these days due to poor business practices they could learn a thing or two from that family.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I hereby offer you your participation award.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sabb8pro2 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
grep wrote:

Yes, being late is disappointing. But people make mistakes. Vowing to never purchase from a company again because of a mistake or technical issue is very extreme in my opinion. As a result so many people in society these days seem quick to turn their back or throw away people/companies/things because of a single mistake. It’s insane.

HA I bet those vows get broken as soon as the para 3 version drops.
Yep I'll bet they do too. :)

Point is no one is going to stop buying under these conditions so they will continue selling out limited amounts.
ncvarmint

Post by ncvarmint »

Yay! I got my tracking number already!
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I don't understand why the dealers don't just simply make the supply higher to meet demand? It just seems like smart business. You sell more, make more profit, your customers are happy.

What is there to lose? We basically know at this point that ANY para 2 combination is going to sell.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I *always* buy multiples of knives I want and I have never flipped a knife, ever.

I literally own 7 of the m4/jade millies, and 6 of the jade/dlc m4 para 2's. I haven't sold a single one of them, and won't.

Don't assume that everyone who wants multiples wants to flip them. I just want 2 to keep. One to use, and one to keep nice for collection.
Exactly. It's disappointing to see so many negative assumptions, dismissing any other possibilities. Most seem to be based on personal beliefs, not fact, yet are presented as truths.

I've kept quiet about the flippers, but I see some hypocrisy here that should be pointed out. The same people angry with flippers, are talking down to people who wanted the knife, but missed out. So flippers shouldn't buy knives to resell, to allow actual users can get their hands on the knives, and this appears to be something worth complaining about. However, if you missed out, you're a flipper or should deal with it? Some perspective might be in order here. Flippers will always be there for any market imaginable, it's just something we all need to accept and move on from. If it's not sprints and exclusives, it is discontinued models. No amount of complaining or anger will change this. I know a guy who flips cars, should he be ashamed and talked down to? We're all human here.

I don't want to argue or call out people, but if this applies to you, maybe consider how it looks and how you would feel if you were on the recieving end.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
grep wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

I seriously doubt that pizza joint was upsetting customers because they were offering limited edition pies that sold out quickly. Making a terrible product or providing bad customer service is not an apples-to-apples comparison to this situation.

Consumers HAVE voted with their wallets which is why the marketing of limited edition/quantity items is common in all sectors of retail. It's a proven strategy to increase sales and it actually boosts brand loyalty rather than hurting it - which has been naively suggested on this forum far too often.

This strategy is used all over the fashion/apparel industry and is a great comparison. For example, Supreme New York (who helped pioneer the modern concept of the "drop") sells out their drops in seconds and yet they enjoy a cult-like and growing following that has moved them into the mainstream pushing their value to over $1 billion.

Are some customers going to be butt-hurt because they missed out? Of course, but the research shows that the people who missed out become even more determined to get in on the next big thing (no matter what they say on social media), which grows the desirability of the brand. And when those same people do score, they are the first to get on those same social media platforms to show off their new prize, which fuels brand loyalty.

These exclusives that sell out almost instantly are a good thing for us (and Spyderco) rather than bad. It increases the desirability of Spyderco products as a whole which fuels growth. I want Spyderco to continue to grow and be able to keep bringing us new variations of current models as well as be willing to take chances on new, different and even sometimes weird designs (I'm looking at you, Battlestation). One thing you can never call Spyderco is boring and I don't ever want that to go away.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm
And I didn't even have to participate. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm
And I didn't even have to participate. :)
Lol I didn't either :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

BigGrove wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
grep wrote:

I seriously doubt that pizza joint was upsetting customers because they were offering limited edition pies that sold out quickly. Making a terrible product or providing bad customer service is not an apples-to-apples comparison to this situation.
Exactly, bad customer service and that is a direct apples to apples comparison. It does not matter how good your Pizza or Knife is if you can not satisfy your customers and close the doors on them. Ouch talk about turning away profit!

In this case though there is no issue with the products just the service and delivery that has people hot.

Personally I have never missed a sprint nor an exclusive, their have been some close calls, earlier this week I was seriously thinking with the way Blade H.Q.s site was dragging the following: " Hmmm it appears I may very well miss out on this one, Oh well, had to happen sooner or later."

What bothers me most is people who do miss out, for example when the DLC PM2 in 20CV dropped earlier in the year a forum member knowing I had purchased two actually sent me a PM Asking to buy one in desperation. You know who you are... I felt terrible for them and then I found out they had managed to get one before I replied and felt good for them.

I can certainly understand peoples frustration and for those that can't or wont I wonder why?

Then I ponder perhaps they are distributors or retailers participating on this site or so they feel butt hurt about people complaining?

Perhaps they who complain about flippers are in competition somehow?

Oh well time for me to leave this thread a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still, and those that feel not for their fellows can not be made to do so by words.

Empathize with those who miss out. The facts are these, Sal has said this is the best they can do and that is just really the end of it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm
.....Empathize with those who miss out. The facts are these, Sal has said this is the best they can do and that is just really the end of it.
Keep in mind that these dealer exclusive runs are commissioned by the dealers. The dealers have to come up with the money to fund the run. Some of them are smaller dealers and they may not have the money to fund a large run. They're doing it more to promote their name and not necessarily for the profit.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Exactly, bad customer service and that is a direct apples to apples comparison. It does not matter how good your Pizza or Knife is if you can not satisfy your customers and close the doors on them. Ouch talk about turning away profit!

In this case though there is no issue with the products just the service and delivery that has people hot.

Personally I have never missed a sprint nor an exclusive, their have been some close calls, earlier this week I was seriously thinking with the way Blade H.Q.s site was dragging the following: " Hmmm it appears I may very well miss out on this one, Oh well, had to happen sooner or later."

What bothers me most is people who do miss out, for example when the DLC PM2 in 20CV dropped earlier in the year a forum member knowing I had purchased two actually sent me a PM Asking to buy one in desperation. You know who you are... I felt terrible for them and then I found out they had managed to get one before I replied and felt good for them.

I can certainly understand peoples frustration and for those that can't or wont I wonder why?

Then I ponder perhaps they are distributors or retailers participating on this site or so they feel butt hurt about people complaining?

Perhaps they who complain about flippers are in competition somehow?

Oh well time for me to leave this thread a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still, and those that feel not for their fellows can not be made to do so by words.

Empathize with those who miss out. The facts are these, Sal has said this is the best they can do and that is just really the end of it.
Running out of an item is not bad customer service. Plus this is a limited item that wouldn’t even exist if the dealer didn’t commission it.