Dear Sal, a question about that floating stop pin..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Dear Sal, a question about that floating stop pin..

Post by Evil D »

What took you so long?

It seems like a drastically better design than the screwed together stop pin. I have a pretty good selection of knives with both styles of stop pins and it seems that the pivot action is significantly improved with the floating pin, or at least that the screwed pin was a source of binding or throwing the pivot area out of parallel.

Was this some random idea or did it take time for the tech to develop or something? I guess I'm curious how it came to be in the first place since it seems like such a significant improvement it seems like a no brainier and surprising that it wasn't part of the design all along.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Re: Dear Sal, a question about that floating stop pin..

Post by Larry_Mott »

Speaking strictly for myself it is often that the obvious solution takes time to come to you :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Amen! I have often in life had an insight that was brilliant, after I’d been doing something the hard way for years. Be interested in Sal’s answer to this.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I agree. Time and experience is usually the result...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

It's too bad Sal lacks your keen intellect otherwise he could have really done something with his life and accomplished something.
Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:16 pm
What took you so long?

It seems like a drastically better design than the screwed together stop pin. I have a pretty good selection of knives with both styles of stop pins and it seems that the pivot action is significantly improved with the floating pin, or at least that the screwed pin was a source of binding or throwing the pivot area out of parallel.

Was this some random idea or did it take time for the tech to develop or something? I guess I'm curious how it came to be in the first place since it seems like such a significant improvement it seems like a no brainier and surprising that it wasn't part of the design all along.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wsdavies wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:04 pm
It's too bad Sal lacks your keen intellect otherwise he could have really done something with his life and accomplished something.

It's a tongue in cheek way of saying it's a fantastic design and I wish it happened sooner. You can put your torch and pitchfork away now.
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm
You can put your torch and pitchfork away now.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

wsdavies wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
What took you so long?

Watch it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a fan of the floating stop pin. The locking triangle is a hard thing to adjust, as each part is affected.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Speaking strictly for myself it is often that the obvious solution takes time to come to you :)
Indubitably lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really just curious if this design was part of the plan all along, or if it wasn't possible 10 years ago or if it was just a lightbulb idea moment.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think it was an “Ah ha!” Moment.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I also like the floating lockbar pivot on the native 5 and chief.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Agreed! :)

The ability for the blade stop to take a significant amount of load and NOT dislodge is an imperative of most folding knives. So, before we had a better understanding of materials, it was probably safer to screw it in. Just guessing.

I think there continues to be a mentality that more screws = more strength. Where as some knives like the K2 may prove that unnecessary with only two screws holding it together (and that sexy as **** "squished" stand off).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

I think there continues to be a mentality that more screws = more strength. Where as some knives like the K2 may prove that unnecessary with only two screws holding it together (and that sexy as **** "squished" stand off).
I think you hit the nail on the head, there. Simplify and add lightness, as paraphrased by Colin Chapman of Lotus cars
sal

Post by sal »

We're always working on CQI improvements. To go full production with any new idea takes time and planning. Tolerances are very close and must be carefully planned for while making many knives and many models. Some things we're quick to do and some are cautiously moved forward.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Evil D wrote:
What took you so long?

Which models sport this stop pin?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 pm
Evil D wrote:
What took you so long?

Which models sport this stop pin?

Newest Military was first I believe, now the Caribbean, Shaman and Para 3 all have it. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Newest Military was first I believe, now the Caribbean, Shaman and Para 3 all have it. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.
I find it interesting that, for whatever reason, the Para 3 LW does not have it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 pm
I find it interesting that, for whatever reason, the Para 3 LW does not have it.

I haven't had one apart... could it be hidden inside like the Caribbean?
~David