Dear Sal, a question about that floating stop pin..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Dear Sal, a question about that floating stop pin..

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:21 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Newest Military was first I believe, now the Caribbean, Shaman and Para 3 all have it. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.
I find it interesting that, for whatever reason, the Para 3 LW does not have it.

I haven't had one apart... could it be hidden inside like the Caribbean?
I've had mine apart and I honestly don't remember. I would think if it was anything unusual I would've noticed. I wasn't specifically looking for it so I may have missed it. I do remember it wasn't easy to dial in the action when I put it back together so my guess is it's just a screwed on (old style) stop pin
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:23 am
Evil D wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Newest Military was first I believe, now the Caribbean, Shaman and Para 3 all have it. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.
I find it interesting that, for whatever reason, the Para 3 LW does not have it.

I've had mine apart and I honestly don't remember. I would think if it was anything unusual I would've noticed. I wasn't specifically looking for it so I may have missed it. I do remember it wasn't easy to dial in the action when I put it back together so my guess is it's just a screwed on (old style) stop pin

Yeah looks like a screw in that location so I'd say it's a screwed stop pin. It probably has something to do with overall construction and rigidity, though it is interesting that the Native 5 LW has a floating pin.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:59 am
I also like the floating lockbar pivot on the native 5 and chief.
Amen, Hello, Come In!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

It was the CQI on the Military that made me dive into the platform. Conversely, I couldn’t keep any PM2’s once I saw the superiority of the floating pin. Until the PM2 gets the new stop-pin, I’ll be sticking to the Military.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Evil D wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I’ve taken one apart a couple times and it’s a pretty straightforward screwed-in stop pin.

I assume it’s because it doesn’t have liners on both sides to hold it in place - with one side being just straight FRN, and the liner on the other side not being attached to a whole lot, the screws probably do make a difference in strength.

Interestingly, it’s also a huge pain to get the action and centering right when putting it back together. Everything is a trade-off. I love my para 3 lw and I’m carrying it as I write this, but if I had to choose just one I definitely prefer the original. I could see the lw version being perfect for a lot of people, though.