Stoppers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
geronm042

Stoppers

Post by geronm042 »

Hey !

As an introduction, I’m a French (yup, sorry for my English) knives collector and my journey with Spyderco as started back in the 2000s.

I keep my collection on the low volume side (I’ve own many more that I actually have today) and focus on the classics, even if some collaborations have been hard to pass on (Kapara... spydiechief...).

The way I collect is quite erratic : most of the time, I go crazy and get 5 to 10 knives in a few weeks, end up with a truely amazing one (to my eyes) and go back to dormancy for a few months or even years...

My “stoppers” have been (from early 2000s to today) :
- Harpy (around 2002)
- Dragonfly (2004)
- Sebenza (2005 - oups)
- Military (2009 - alot of road tripping on you continent with that one !)
- Caly 3 zdp189 (2012 I think.. when I started to work in a office..)
- Superleaf (don’t remember the release date)

These stoppers have been the core of my collection. I have no back up, only proudly used knives that get better with age.

And right now... well I can feel my Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE might be my next stop. All I love in Spyderco with a crazy level of quality and engineering.

Do some of you guyz collect this way ? Like a kind of stop and go ? What were your “stoppers” ?
ZrowsN1s

Re: Stoppers

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:D I never stop :D

Although the St. Nicks 4V Shaman in Red and Black was kind of a high point in the collection. That was the last Spyderco I bought. My last 5 purchases have all been Microtech's, Spyderco can't/won't make a California Legal auto so, Microtech it is for those.

*edit lied, forgot about the Spydiechef I bought :D see? I never stop.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I never really stop, but the Caribbean has been my 99.9% EDC for more than a year and it hasn't been challenged yet.

Best folding knife they have ever made IMO.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I endeavor to collect in your style, however I still get distracted by shiny new knives! This year was meant to be low volume year, but it has gotten a bit out of control. :rolleyes: :spyder:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I never really stopped buying. First it was the Endura that I was stuck on, then tried a bunch until finding the military... and the military was it for a long time. Even though I still bought more. Then came the pacific salt and I’ve been stuck on that for some time. (Alternating between the Endura, pacific salt and military)

2 weeks ago I decided to try hawkbill blades and bought a ladybug, dragonfly, tasman 2 and spyderhawk all In spyderedge (fully serrated) blades. I have to carry them till 2020 to learn about them because I never had a hawkbill before. The dragonfly and Tasman are my most carried, but I wouldn’t necessarily call them my favorite of the 4? I dunno. But I freakin love SE hawkbill blades now. It’s like they sprinkled crack on em.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
sok

Post by sok »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 pm
But I freakin love SE hawkbill blades now. It’s like they sprinkled crack on em.
LOL, I remember the first month of carrying the Pacific Salt, I couldn’t walk past a piece of card board without slashing it. It was like a confirmation slash. Did this knife just do what I thought it did?

So far as stoppers, I stopped buying for about four years until picking it back up a year ago. The stopper for me back when was the Caly 3.5. I really feel like I am about to stop again. My modified PM2 and Para 3 would be the stoppers.
Last edited by sok on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivtecdaily

Post by ivtecdaily »

I buy a lot of knives mostly to try them out and see if they jive with me or not. Spyderco happens to be the company where you get curious and just have to try at least the really popular ones. I guess my most important "stopper" was my first Caly 3 which was the HAP40 sprint. Since then I cant seem to enjoy other knives as much. I'm a lefty so it checks pretty much every box I have and it will be my edc until some other great design comes along that speaks to me. That's not to say I haven't bought alot of Spyder's since that knife, but they just don't get carried much compared to the Caly. Also, the UKPK is another knife that makes me question buying more knives. But it's basically a Caly 3 without a lock so there's that.. :D
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Good to see someone else who really likes the Superleaf :)

As for stopping... I don't! :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The CruCarta Shaman is definitely making me consider stopping, but I know the Lil Chokwe is on the horizon...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Discretionary funds, a fascination with Glesser designs, and a curiosity about steels combine to make it easy to stop buying Spydies anytime I want. /s
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Somewhere around 8 years ago, I stopped after recieving a Manix 2 sabre ground(when Spyderco first switched from 154cm to s30v), and a green Delica 4. Collecting resumed in December of last year and ended 2 months ago(I believe) with the Police 4 G10. Well... technically that's not true... because I bought another P4 G10 after. :D

My "collecting" has always been more like a series of temporary acquisitions, in search of "the one(s)". Any that didn't fit the role have been sold off, to make room for more temporary acquisitions. The Manix and Delica weren't "the ones", they were the ones for my needs at the time. The P4 has everything I need and want now, and in the foreseeable future. I still have a Delica to comply with length restrictions when traveling to other states, so these two knives might just be my forever combo.

I still have other knives, I just don't care about them anymore, the P4 got me good.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

One of my first Spyderco knives is still my 95% EDC: Caly 3.5 in Superblue. Love the ergonomics and ratios of this knife and I can't wait until we see the LW and hopefully one with K390! :D
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Wait, a lil chokwe is incoming ?? :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

geronm042 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm
Wait, a lil chokwe is incoming ?? :D
yes indeed! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can think back to models I enjoyed using so much, it discouraged me from buying new knives. Figured if I don't expect to like the new one more than what I already own, why bother?

- Military. The size to weight ratio impressed me so much on the old 440v single liner Military. I was less than a year removed from carrying a Buck 110, and the weight difference blew my mind.

- Manix. The original C95 Manix impressed me so much, I did not see myself buying another knife for a long time. What a stout lockback!

- Police 3. Love at first sight. It wasn't until the Police 4 came out a decade later that I felt this design had been topped.

- Aqua Salt. Sal sent it to me and said to be rough on it. So I was. The ergonomics, toughness, rust proof properties and incredible lightweight made this unusual choice my go to hiking / camping knife for a long time. Every time I'd consider a new fixed blade Id think about the rust issues I'd have to deal with, or how it'd be heavier to lug around on hikes, etc. It's a lot more versatile than the marine oriented marketing may lead you to believe.

- Pacific Salt. Hands down the single most practical Spyderco folder I own. I went through the feeling a second time when I tried the serrated version. This would be the last Spyderco I get rid of.

- Police 4. My favorite single blade folding knife, period. I love both versions, and aside from Pacific Salts on days I want a serrated edge or a rust proof knife, the Police 4's are the only Spyderco folders I carry these days.

- Street Beat. I buy a lot of small EDC sized fixed blades. Well, I did. I like the Street Beat so much the question for me isn't which small fixed blade I'll buy next, but rather when I'll be buying a back-up Street Beat.
:unicorn