Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Ikuchi

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Ha! Well you got me curious about that bushing! :p
Haha, that was me when I first got my Smock on the first release. Had to figure out what was going on in there!! Amazes me when people are scared to take their knives apart, especially when they make actually need to do so.
Agree the smock is a neat knife to take apart! I'll admit, though, I still have yet to take apart a delica, even though I have like 6 of them. I've just heard it's such a pain...
It is... Just when you almost have it lined up... Nope not good enough the pin won't drop in. Anytime I disassemble a Delica or other backlock Seki spydie I cuss so much, although it has gotten easier over time.. But not as much as the dreaded red loctite era gray g10 cruwear pm2... That was not fun
I'm really wanting to do a blade swap on two of my delicas...I've been working up the nerve to tackle it. Sounds like I'll need a beer and a xanax first. ;) :p Anyhow, apologies for getting off topic - the ikuchi was very easy to reassemble!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

My pre-order from BladeHQ finally shipped this week. Was sure they'd just forgotten, but I guess they really did sell out that first run.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

:( I really like this knife. Sharing here in case others see the same thing(?).

I waited a long time for this CQI Ikuchi to come out. But I went from excited to totally let down in mere minutes. This thing is impossible to flip open. Will not budge. The only way humanly possible to open it without using the compression lock is to put a T-shirt layer between my finger and the wheel. I pressed as hard as possible and my finger just slides off to no effect.

Bad detent perhaps? Pretty shockingly bad if that. Am I missing something? Tried loosening the pivot to no avail, and the blade goes immediately off center doing that.

Ikuchi finger 2.0

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:13 am

I waited a long time for this CQI Ikuchi to come out. But I went from excited to totally let down in mere minutes. This thing is impossible to flip open. Will not budge. The only way humanly possible to open it without using the compression lock is to put a T-shirt layer between my finger and the wheel. I pressed as hard as possible and my finger just slides off to no effect.

Bad detent perhaps? Pretty shockingly bad if that. Am I missing something? Tried loosening the pivot to no avail, and the blade goes immediately off center doing that.

Ikuchi finger 2.0

I posted just yesterday...same issue! I have a blister on my finger from trying. Anyhow I figured out that putting my finger almost on top of the scales and the wheel helps a lot, but it's still not easy. Others suggested flicking it with your thumb like a bic lighter, but that's pretty awkward for me at this point.
- Julia

mb1

Post by mb1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:40 am
mb1 wrote:

Ikuchi finger 2.0

I posted just yesterday...same issue! I have a blister on my finger from trying. Anyhow I figured out that putting my finger almost on top of the scales and the wheel helps a lot, but it's still not easy. Others suggested flicking it with your thumb like a bic lighter, but that's pretty awkward for me at this point.
Hmm. Well this isn’t even a matter of easy vs hard on mine. It’s like it’s zip tied shut. Literally. No way to thumb open...not a chance on mine.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:45 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:40 am
mb1 wrote:

Ikuchi finger 2.0

Hmm. Well this isn’t even a matter of easy vs hard on mine. It’s like it’s zip tied shut. Literally. No way to thumb open...not a chance on mine.
Just looking more closely at the knife, I wonder if the detent is the issue like you suggested...it's like the opposite problem as on the Sliverax. Rather than the ballnot seating deeply enough (and thus being too easy to pop out), the ball gets seated too deeply and very difficult to pop out. I wonder if sanding it down would be possible? I may just send mine to spyderco snd see if they csn help. If it flipped easily, this would be an awesome knife.
- Julia

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wow I'm glad I didn't grab one I hope some of you will send back to Golden so they can find the issue
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm
Wow I'm glad I didn't grab one I hope some of you will send back to Golden so they can find the issue
I just emailed W&R...definitely planning to send mine in. No fun having a knife that's painful (or nearly impossible) to open!
- Julia

rivy

Post by rivy »

Yeah this issue has me wanting to hold out on one to see how widespread it is. How many have a CQI with good action that flips easily?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rivy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Yeah this issue has me wanting to hold out on one to see how widespread it is. How many have a CQI with good action that flips easily?
Yes, I'm very curious to hear if anyone else got one with or without this issue. After all it's only a few of us reporting it so far.
- Julia

DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Got mine yesterday and first off, it is an awesome design and already a new favorite. Even knowing the dimensions ahead of time it's impressively compact, and F&F is 100% on point.

In terms flipping the wheel is definitely rougher on the finger than a tab, but mine flips fine. With index finger I go closer to the first knuckle than the tip, thumb is probably easier once I got the hang of it though. I will say if I try parallel pulling out towards the nail with my index, or apply too much downward pressure in general really, it won't budge and definitely doesn't feel great. However, with more of a front-flipper motion, pulling out and away from the handle vs. pressing into it, it's been fine for me. A little wrist-flick comes with the motion too which helps with such a light blade. My experience at least.

Edit: After a day of moderate flipping it's smooth in any direction, seems like it just needs a short break-in period which is more noticeable with the flipper texture.

Thanks to :spyder: and Mr. Alexander for another unique winner! :D

IMG_6962.jpg
Last edited by DTPrime on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

With the first gen, there was a learning curve to flip it open especially using a thumb like a lighter. Once mastered, the thumb method worked best.
So it sounds like this one has a firmer detent which might be my preferene. Hoping to hear more feedback before buying one.
stoby22

Post by stoby22 »

Just got mine in, and it's awesome! Flips open everytime. Drops shut with no effort. Perfecty centered and hair shaving sharp. Glad I finally grabbed one. My co-workers are gonna love hearing this one open and close many times a day. Lol.
Attachments
20191123_135205_resized.jpg
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Mine just came today. I don't have any problem opening any of the four ways described here. It's a really cool knife because it's sort of a magnum gentleman's knife. I love it.
dgibson

Post by dgibson »

Yessss, got my Ikuchi yesterday afternoon and after opening and closing a few times it become very, very hard to open. So disappointed. I just now email Spyderco...since they are closed on Sundays but I needed to get it off my chest.
dgibson

Post by dgibson »

Got mine yesterday. I'm having opening issues too. I now have a sore index finger and thumb. Emailed Sypderco this morning since I can't call them on Sunday. Very disappointed.
dgibson

Post by dgibson »

Just received mine yesterday and it is very hard to open. Not happy.
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

My Ikuchi is a pre CQI offering and I like the thing. Guess I was lucky to get a good one.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Received mine Friday morning. Very difficult to flip. Has my index finger all chewed up. Gripping it in a very particular way I am able to get it open, but not reliably. I may well be returning to DLT, but not positive. There is a ton I like about it but this much difficulty opening is absurd. Only reliable opening is with the compression lock and wrist flick. Very disappointing on a blade that otherwise suits me very well.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Terp61 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:34 pm
My Ikuchi is a pre CQI offering and I like the thing. Guess I was lucky to get a good one.
Mine was decent when I got it but after a while.. it's like butter now. Can't imagine how fast the new one can be.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut