Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Ikuchi

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Also, relative finger strength skews detent preferences on flippers a bunch - with flippers you're relying on a biological "spring" in your finger tendons, and that's a variable that can change day to day based on previous loads, repetitive motions, irritations, arthritis, etc.

I've used flippers for years primarily with my dominant hand, and it shows. I can press down with my index finger on that hand about 20 pounds harder than with the index finger on my other hand before causing any discomfort.

Thus, even the CQI detent is perfectly normal for me and I could stand to have it a fair bit tougher before I'd be uncomfortable.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm
Also, relative finger strength skews detent preferences on flippers a bunch - with flippers you're relying on a biological "spring" in your finger tendons, and that's a variable that can change day to day based on previous loads, repetitive motions, irritations, arthritis, etc.

I've used flippers for years primarily with my dominant hand, and it shows. I can press down with my index finger on that hand about 20 pounds harder than with the index finger on my other hand before causing any discomfort.

Thus, even the CQI detent is perfectly normal for me and I could stand to have it a fair bit tougher before I'd be uncomfortable.
I'm sure that's true, and undoubtedly most of the men on here have stronger fingers than I do (as a woman with skinny fingers). I've only tried one other flipper a few years ago that I found this difficult to operate, though. On this one it's a combo of the unique flipper wheel and the super strong detent that got me. I think a corner flipper like the smock would've worked for me. Anyhow, no design can suit every single person, and I'm obviously in the minority of users overall. Glad you guys love it!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Well.. Blades Canada just got them back in stock (I missed the original lot by 5 minutes) - Got one inbound, will let y'all know what I think and how I find it..
Cheers
Harold
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Mikelly

Post by Mikelly »

Just got mine today. Took a couple flicks to break in but was ok after that. You know i have one of the natives with the lc200n and that one is stiff because of the design. I love knives with new designs like this but with new designs comes new tolerances and issues. It's always a gamble...isn't this the knife that the tip was poking people when it was closed cause of the weak detent? . I think it's great that the CS dept at spyderco is so awesome for being good to the customers.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Arrived today!
Thoughts:
- out of the box. wow was that tough to flip open.. Hopefully it will break in a bit.. the flipper disc was not that painful. though..
- Fit and finish are great, blade centered, etc..
- Carbon fibre is nice and looks good, buyt how about polished G10 (like the old Des Horn?)
- that tip is ferocious!! it didn't snag my finger either..

So. all in all. its a keeper, but can someone reassure me it the detent will free up a bit??

Thanks
Harold
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

flasharry wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:33 pm

So. all in all. its a keeper, but can someone reassure me it the detent will free up a bit??
Yes, it gets noticeably easier the more you use it! Mine is butter smooth now.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Hi all,

A bit late to the CQI party, bit does anyone know how to identify a CQI Ikuchi from the batch number/letter? Am trying to figure out if my usual reseller has a CQI batch or not?

Thanks!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My own CQI :) well visually anyway. Bocote scales made by a instrument maker friend of mine.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:02 am
My own CQI :) well visually anyway. Bocote scales made by a instrument maker friend of mine.

That is gorgeous, Larry! Once I get everytjing settled down here, I've got several scales in Koa ready to be finished and a block of Kamagong waiting to be utilized!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Larry_Mott wrote:

Was it a conscious decision to keep the hole? Does it help the ergo’s?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am just wondering who purchased both the original version and the CQI version and how the CQI version is holding up to daily use compared to the original? I let go of my original Ikuchi for a variety of reasons but a major one was the tip kept biting me in my pocket and it had a sticky detent that never loosened up. It's a great design and great ergos for a small blade and light weight knife otherwise.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:

Was it a conscious decision to keep the hole? Does it help the ergo’s?
I felt it's part of the design, and doesn't bother me at all, in fact i think it's kinda cool. Lanyard hol delete however is another thing, and i'd happily do that on every custom scaled knife i own and will get.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 am
Larry_Mott wrote:

That is gorgeous, Larry! Once I get everytjing settled down here, I've got several scales in Koa ready to be finished and a block of Kamagong waiting to be utilized!
Can't wait to see the final result! :cool:
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

jdw wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am
I am just wondering who purchased both the original version and the CQI version and how the CQI version is holding up to daily use compared to the original? I let go of my original Ikuchi for a variety of reasons but a major one was the tip kept biting me in my pocket and it had a sticky detent that never loosened up. It's a great design and great ergos for a small blade and light weight knife otherwise.
My CQI version has just enough play in the detent that I can press on the wheel and get the tip up where I can feel it. It hasn't bitten me in the pocket yet, and I feel OK with the way it is since the tip stays next to the pocket seam, but it did get me while I was trying to close it and slip it into my pocket quickly (I didn't get it all the way closed, I think.)

Definitely considering replacement scales that overlap the tip more. You could make a pommel shape that follows the lines pretty easily, I think.

For reference, I have the same problem with a Burnley Kwaiken, it's inherent to the combination of a flush spine/handle line and a full-acuity tip.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

jdw wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 am
Yep I bought two of the originals and they kept biting me as well how that tip was ever allowed to go to production is a black eye for Spyderco.

I wound up selling my user and it’s backup loved the design but one cut too many angered me and they had to go!

Does the CQI version eliminate getting Ikuchi fingered?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It does, the tip is a few mm lower.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Did anyone measure the thickness behind the edge ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:57 am
That's true, mine has never bit me.

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

avocadobbq wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:30 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:57 am
That's true, mine has never bit me.

Looks lower and not as long.
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

I only have the CQI version, but I've never sharpened it so if it's shorter then that's how it is. However it's been long enough for what I need it for. Lovely knife and makes me excited for more Paul Alexander designs.