Smooth Black G10 slipped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Smooth Black G10 slipped

Post by Bloke »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 pm
Yep that’s me, I do allot of cleaning being former Military / Army.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Yep that’s me, I do allot of cleaning being former Military / Army. It is ingrained with me I took Basic training at 17 so tend to be a bit of a clean freak.

Just spent the evening mopping the floors and cleaning the tubs and toilets to me this is proper living, my poor girlfriend / soon to be wife just shakes her head and is thankful I do not expect her to keep up with my Military level of clean.

I am 50 now so there is no chance of changing.

My hands tend to be dry from all the cleaning. I like the look and the feel of smooth G10 make no mistake about that but when I got my PM2 in cruwear I swear just taking it out of the box it slipped out of my hands and went straight for the tile.

I caught it and ebayed like crazy for some regular G10.

On a different note I want to thank the forum members who turned me on to bar keepers friend for cleaning steel.

My poor woman tried to make chicken and dumplings today before work got preoccupied and burnt the Cephelon heavy duty pan really bad.

When I got home I applied a generous amount of BKF and it is as good as new.

Lol. Must confess to some devilishness when she got home I said be prepared to cough up your pay check! Just look at this disaster!!!

She was soooo sweet saying I know, I know I will buy a new one! I lifted up the pan and she was shocked it was pristine yet again.

I laughed also and said thank Spyderco and the guys at the forums if not for them this would be in the trash.

We thank you all. :)
Sounds like you run a tight ship mate. Lucky you had that bar keepers friend!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This thread sort of confuses me. Oh I get what you're saying all right. But the problem to me is simple. Because to me the whole idea of G-10 handles that I have owned are the better grip/purchase factor. I don't see how you would achieve that with a smooth/polished G-10 :confused: To me having a smooth G-10 knife handle would be the equivalent of having smooth tread tires for a 4 wheel drive vehicle :confused: Personally I would have no use for a smooth G-10 handle. I would have to rough mine up too if I were to get a model with a smooth G-10 handle.
sok

Post by sok »

Edit* Glad you got everything sorted out gull wing.

I have never used smooth G10 before but I prefer smooth scales in other materials, and have never had a problem with dropping any of them. I smoothed this Military down to see if I will like it. I am carrying it today to see how I like it. So far, I haven’t had a problem handling it, but I am a little worried that it may inch up out of my right rear pocket. Especially while sitting.

We’ll see. I understand the need for grippy and appreciate it. I just don’t need it in my day to day use and prefer smooth. If I ever get into one of those SHTF situations, I have unused factory sharp knives with textured G10 that will be better suited for the job; Military Cruwear, PM2 M390, and a Caly 3.5 With VG-10
Last edited by sok on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
benben

Post by benben »

I have the KnifeCenter exclusive Para 3 Cru-wear with smooth G-10. It's a dang super nice, very well made knife, but honestly I'll probably "never" go out of my way to order another knife with smooth G-10 again........never say never, right?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hard to beat the Maxamet lightweight for maximum tool steel/grip combo
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've been asking for a Cruwear Native for the longest time and we finally got one, but yet I passed on it because of the smooth G10. Like others here, I have no use for smooth scales. Even the Micarta on the Shaman was a bit slippery for my liking when dry so I have been applying drumstick wax for added grip. I dropped my Shaman a few times when I first got it. Open blade on the tile bathroom floor. I also don't have shoes on a lot so dropping a blade on my foot wouldn't be great. I dropped a chisel on my bare foot last year and ended up getting stabbed fairly bad. I would have bought all of those KC Exclusive Cruwear knives in black peel ply G10 (even though an earth tone would have been preferred), but as it is I bought none of them.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:02 am
Yep that’s me, I do allot of cleaning being former Military / Army.
Ha! I knew you were gonna get me :) ! Good one!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am
I've been asking for a Cruwear Native for the longest time and we finally got one, but yet I passed on it because of the smooth G10. Like others here, I have no use for smooth scales. Even the Micarta on the Shaman was a bit slippery for my liking when dry so I have been applying drumstick wax for added grip. I dropped my Shaman a few times when I first got it. Open blade on the tile bathroom floor. I also don't have shoes on a lot so dropping a blade on my foot wouldn't be great. I dropped a chisel on my bare foot last year and ended up getting stabbed fairly bad. I would have bought all of those KC Exclusive Cruwear knives in black peel ply G10 (even though an earth tone would have been preferred), but as it is I bought none of them.
Do you still have your SNK 4V Shaman? Just curious since it also has smooth G10
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am
Do you still have your SNK 4V Shaman? Just curious since it also has smooth G10

I never was able to get one! I waited till the drop and thought I would be able to grab one on my phone and they were gone before I stumbled through my CC info. But you are right about the smooth G10 and I likely would have sold it after getting my Cru-carta Shaman.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Hating the smooth also, love the cruwear but left looking for alternative scales
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im seriously considering taking some sandpaper to mine.
For those who have done this was it worth it? Was the increase in traction noticeable, or is it not worth the time?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sok

Post by sok »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 pm
Im seriously considering taking some sandpaper to mine.
For those who have done this was it worth it? Was the increase in traction noticeable, or is it not worth the time?
I don’t think it will help much, but maybe. I went the other direction on my Military and sanded the texture off with a DMT coarse diamond plate. I do like it alright and at this point I am glad I have one of my Militarys with smooth scales, but smooth carbon fiber vs smooth G10 ain’t the same.

There is a difference between smooth and slick, and from my little experiment, I am not one hundred percent happy. I am not sure G10 and smooth is the best answer. The handle with smooth G10 seems hard and cold compared to smooth carbon fiber.

Having said that, and me liking smooth scales, I am glad I smoothed the scales on my Military. It slides in and out of my pockets like butter. Even with some gym shorts, which is almost impossible to one hand clip to the pockets with grippie G10, the smooth handled Military easily slips in and out of the pocket clipped. I really do think I am going to like it, but smooth carbon fiber and Micarta are better than smooth G10.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

BC55EC60-071E-406D-908C-10C6F41B96A1.jpeg
Hated the smooth but wanted to experiment with contouring the edges to make them similar to the frn of the Para3 LW
OMG it’s completely changed the knife- yes it’s smooth but now ‘feels’ like a wooden scale and I’m in love- a complete 180 for me
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

When you start sanding G 10 you have to wear protective mask over your face. G 10 is extremely dangerous to breathe and those particles are so fine they get airborne very easily and you inhale them and not even know it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Is it safe to admit in this thread that I deliberately smoothed the scales on one of my PM2 models? (Grey G-10 is easier to keep clean when it's smooth.)

I also like the smoothed G-10 on the Red Persian Sprint.

It's good for people to know that there are trade-offs with texture, but some of us like smooth scales when we can get them.
sok

Post by sok »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 am
Is it safe to admit in this thread that I deliberately smoothed the scales on one of my PM2 models? (Grey G-10 is easier to keep clean when it's smooth.)

I also like the smoothed G-10 on the Red Persian Sprint.

It's good for people to know that there are trade-offs with texture, but some of us like smooth scales when we can get them.
Your secret is safe with us. ;)