There's something missing here...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

There's something missing here...

Post by Albatross »

Spyderco offers an enormous variety of knives in different steels, colors, sizes, lock types, and handle materials, which has us all spoiled. But... there's something missing...

Taiwan has a few framelocks and linerlocks, but Golden is seriously lacking. A Golden-made titanium framelock would be fantastic.

I've had an idea in my head for a bit, but don't have the skills to photoshop the design. A 3.7"-3.9" blade, similar in shape to the Mantra 2. It makes more sense to go humpless on a flipper imo. A handle similar to the P4, but thicker and shorter, to go along with the 3.7"-3.9" blade. Possibly a CF show side, without a liner? I really like the idea of a large flipper, with a sleek profile, and maybe a cool steel. S90V would make a few of us happy and it's underutilized in Spyderco's lineup.

I've seen milled titanium pocket clips that were made to fit Spyderco knives with wire clips. If Spyderco made a pocket clip to fit in place of a wire clip, and some models came with both clips, it would make a lot of people happy. This would be great to see on a Golden titanium flipper framelock.

Right now, ZT is the only U.S. company making quality titanium framelock flippers, with semi-reasonable prices. The market needs more competition and offerings. Plus, ZT isn't a U.S. based company, unlike Spyderco. ZT(the Kai Group) is based out of Japan. Made in the U.S. doesn't always mean what people think. If you buy American products to be patriotic and support your country, you want the money to go to someone in your country. Maybe I'm too anal about this though.
Albatross

Re: There's something missing here...

Post by Albatross »

Oh, and contours on the handle!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

There have been framework Military models.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

True that zt and Kershaw are owned by a Japanese company, but think of the number of people employed here in the US by them. It's the same argument I have with people in my trade, that yes Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru are all Japanese brands, and the money goes back to Japan, but think of the amount of people in the US employed by these companies. Think of the money they earn that they inject into the economy.

Now look at the American companies closing plants here and opening them in China and Mexico. That angers me, much more than someone buying a "Japanese" instead of "American".

Anyway, that was way off topic, but back on topic, I'd rather spyderco continue doing what they are doing. They don't need to go after the titanium frame lock market imo. I have ZTs for that. Keep pumping out the compression lock models! And more cbbl locks!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 am
This is true, but a regular production framelock, that's not just an upgrade of another model, is what I'm looking for.

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 am
True that zt and Kershaw are owned by a Japanese company, but think of the number of people employed here in the US by them. It's the same argument I have with people in my trade, that yes Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru are all Japanese brands, and the money goes back to Japan, but think of the amount of people in the US employed by these companies. Think of the money they earn that they inject into the economy.

Now look at the American companies closing plants here and opening them in China and Mexico. That angers me, much more than someone buying a "Japanese" instead of "American".

Anyway, that was way off topic, but back on topic, I'd rather spyderco continue doing what they are doing. They don't need to go after the titanium frame lock market imo. I have ZTs for that. Keep pumping out the compression lock models! And more cbbl locks!
That's true, but in this instance, we have a U.S. based company in Spyderco, and any knives made here will benefit the workers, as well as American management employed by Spyderco.

ZT makes thicker knives, that don't cut as well, and lag behind in heat treat, as Spyderco routinely outperforms, when comparing like steels. If I pay for 20CV(standard ZT steel), it needs to be heat treated in a way that makes me feel like my money wasn't wasted. Esentially, I want something ZT doesn't offer, and made by my favorite brand as well.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I can't believe they haven't made a ti-slabbed PM2...
There was a ti integral compression-lock prototype floating around a few years ago, that was apparently not supposed to have been "leaked"... I wonder if the powers that be are a bit miffed with their titanium vendor over the leak? Seems silly to not bring one out of the mothership...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:04 pm
Enactive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 am
This is true, but a regular production framelock, that's not just an upgrade of another model, is what I'm looking for.
Sage 2...

Wow, I'm dumb.

Ti ATR as a technicality!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They've made them. Expensive.

Personally, I’m not interested. I prefer their mid backlocks and CBBL locks any day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Albatross wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 am
If you buy American products to be patriotic and support your country, you want the money to go to someone in your country. Maybe I'm too anal about this though.
I understand what you mean, but I ultimately want the money to go to whoever makes a better product. If I choose to spend top dollar on something, I want the best. If it’s German, Japanese, US, Taiwan... doesn’t matter to me. I’ll pay for whoever has the craftsmanship to do it. Those of us that own/have owned Taiwan spydies know that there’s some of the best craftsmanship in the world coming out of that specific manufacturing plant. True, spyderco is a US based company, but if someone else was behind it, or they weren’t US based I’d still have no problem supporting them. What that means is that we need more skilled craftsman here. I remember seeing something about the manufacturing plants, and the workers saying none of the kids want to do that. So there’s not as many skilled craftsmen being trained up as there used to be.
I want my money to go to who does the job the best. Much like in an interview, I want the most qualified person to get the job. Not because we have to have an even number of a certain group of humans.

If A can make a product better than B... but C blows them both out of the water in terms of fit/finish/overall craftsmanship, if I’m choosing quality I’m taking option C. Don’t care who makes it honestly. Good on em for a hard days work and doing their job well. They deserve it. It would be nice if we could make things that we common folk could actually afford here in the US But we’re pricing ourselves out of it in many ways it seems.

As previously mentioned, they’ve been made and they cost a hefty chunk of change $$$
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006