Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by vivi »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:43 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:23 pm
Shopping at night is so SCARY :eek:

lol. this thread.

Ya'll really think anyone else out there notices or cares about the half inch blade difference between your "office" knife and "yard work" knife? I don't.
I had a small Kershaw speedsafe pulled on me when I happened to be carrying my street bowie and that scene immediately came to mind, lol.

Wiser thoughts prevailed and I dialed 911, kept a distance, and let the cops handle it.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:42 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:46 am
Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?
Absolutely not where I live in central Missouri.

In my area I've never felt danger or threatened when shopping, at night or otherwise, in small towns or large cities.
This thread cracks me up. Once or twice a year I toss my hammock on my bicycle and ride across the country. No planned routes or anything. I'll roll up in some random town at 11pm on a $3000 carbon fiber bicycle and find somewhere to buy some food.

Neve, ever have I had a problem.

I distinctly remember stopping at BBQ truck in rural Georgia. Lofton's BBQ I think, based out of Newton. It was late, they were almost closed. It was dark and I was the only white person around. I stopped to get two pulled pork sandwiches. While I was waiting for my order some dude with sagging, baggy pants and long dreads approached me from behind......

....To ask me about my bike ride. I told him about it and others started listening, fascinated that I was cycling around like that for fun.

One of them invited me to their home and I took them up on the offer. The mrs. made me pancakes in the morning and I posed for a photo with their daughter, who had asked me for my autograph.

People thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to bike through New Orleans. Everyone said I was going to get mugged. Never did happen despite a midnight run to a 24 hour grocery store.

Not saying crime doesn't exist....murders are up this year in my city. But things aren't so bad here I need to significantly disrupt my daily routine. There's a particular gas station I avoid going to at 3am because people always bother me for $$ "ran out of gas and my daughter is in labor come on maaaaan" but that's about it.

Needless to say if there's something I need at 3am from a Walmart, I go and buy it :)
I don’t need to disrupt my daily routine. I simply choose to do certain things at certain times. In some of my local areas, that’s generally the smart thing to do. Over the years, I have had a few close calls, including getting away from an attempted daytime carjacking in the late ‘90s. Back in the early ‘80s, I hung out in some very bad areas and nothing ever happened to me. But I wasn’t blundering around unawares, either. Oddly enough, the most dangerous situation I was ever in happened in Taipei, Taiwan, which was an attempted abduction by three men. Taipei has (or at least had) less street crime than most major American cities, although there is plenty of organized crime there. I went on to live there for almost a decade without anything like that ever happening again. Most foreigners can live in Taiwan for years without crime ever touching them.

Like I said, there are other people than you or I who live in very different circumstances. Maybe some people have health or mobility issues. If you find that lol funny, I guess that’s up to you. I have a friend who bicycled alone from New Jersey to Monterey, CA. He had no problems, either, except for getting chased and attacked by a dog once somewhere in the Midwest, which he maced or pepper sprayed.

I personally don’t carry a knife specifically for the purpose of self-defense. What dictates what I carry is what I think I’ll likely need a knife for, for that day. Usually a 3” to3.5” blade is sufficient for that.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?

In my area I've never felt danger or threatened when shopping, at night or otherwise, in small towns or large cities.
This thread cracks me up. Once or twice a year I toss my hammock on my bicycle and ride across the country. No planned routes or anything. I'll roll up in some random town at 11pm on a $3000 carbon fiber bicycle and find somewhere to buy some food.

I distinctly remember stopping at BBQ truck in rural Georgia. Lofton's BBQ I think, based out of Newton. It was late, they were almost closed. It was dark and I was the only white person around. I stopped to get two pulled pork sandwiches. While I was waiting for my order some dude with sagging, baggy pants and long dreads approached me from behind......

....To ask me about my bike ride. I told him about it and others started listening, fascinated that I was cycling around like that for fun.

One of them invited me to their home and I took them up on the offer. The mrs. made me pancakes in the morning and I posed for a photo with their daughter, who had asked me for my autograph.

People thought I was crazy when I told them I was going to bike through New Orleans. Everyone said I was going to get mugged. Never did happen despite a midnight run to a 24 hour grocery store.

Not saying crime doesn't exist....murders are up this year in my city. But things aren't so bad here I need to significantly disrupt my daily routine. There's a particular gas station I avoid going to at 3am because people always bother me for $$ "ran out of gas and my daughter is in labor come on maaaaan" but that's about it.

Needless to say if there's something I need at 3am from a Walmart, I go and buy it :)

You obviously have been lucky so far then.

Some of us have seen blood in the street or on the sidewalk before and or numerous times.

Seen the aftermath of a rape and murder of a school girl in back of a shopping center myself when walking to school back in the 70's in Baltimore.

Heard gun shots on a daily basis..... Sirens almost all the time day in day out.

I have seen people getting mugged on more than once in my life right in broad daylight out in the open right on a busy sidewalk in the city.

Had someone I knew beaten almost to death with baseball bats just to get the daily deposit of the store he managed. And that was out in the Country in MD back in the 80's.

There are people out there that will kill you for 10 cents or less....

I was on Grand Jury Duty for 6 months here in NC and you wouldn't believe some of the things that go on everyday. I can't repeat any of it though.

I won't go on but you get the idea.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

tonijedi wrote:
Not dangerous where I live. Probably one of the safest places on the planet. I use a 3” edc. Comfortable in pocket and enough blade to handle just about all my regular tasks.
C99c

Post by C99c »

3" - 3.5" works best for me.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Then again Vivi, you are 6' 7" or whatever and have hands the size of dinner plates. :p :D

Joking aside however, that is a great story.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My favorite size would have a 3.5" blade but I do carry knives up to 4" blades. My favorite knives are the in the range of the PM2, Manix 2 LW and Manix 2 G10 so this tells you my size and weight preferences. I like the Military and Manix 2 XL, but I've tried knives a bit heavier and found that it was too much for what I like.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:01 pm
Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Then again Vivi, you are 6' 7" or whatever and have hands the size of dinner plates. :p :D

He could walk in the bad part of town around with $100 bills taped to him and nobody would bother him.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Vivi wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

He could walk in the bad part of town around with $100 bills taped to him and nobody would bother him.
Not to mention that a study showed that people in general tend to trust tall men more than average-sized or short men. Supposedly, one of the reasons tall salesmen tend to be more successful than their shorter male counterparts. Although when I lived in Taiwan, I experienced a lot of hospitality from people/families, including complete strangers, even though they knew or became aware that my ancestry is Japanese. In fact, I never had any issues in Taiwan at all because of that. Sometimes the extra hospitality was BECAUSE I was a foreigner living there. And I’m only 5’9”, and many Taiwanese males were taller than me, so my height didn’t matter either way. I guess it was my charming personality. :p

Back to knives...:)...when I lived overseas, I didn’t know of any Taiwanese who carried a pocketknife. Some were surprised that I carried a SAK.

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 pm
The Meat man wrote:

And it’s bad, bad Leroy Brown...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

90% PM2 or slightly larger.
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Vivi wrote:

I spent my teen and early twenties in DuPage County, Illinois, and it was very conservative with several of the towns having quite a bit of farming or forestry in them. I rode my bicycle on many centuries (100 mile rides), and even had a gf that lived 50 miles away whose home I use to ride to at least twice a week for training. Never had a problem with anyone. Never was hit or brushed off the road by a car. I would not do that today, as the population has increased significantly.

I've lived in many other areas since, one of them the Old Stockyards area, a neighborhood called Canaryville (43rd and Halsted) in Chicago. I had a couple of threats made against me by minorities (black) just for daring to go to the Dr's office on the border street between Canaryville and Englewood(47th and Halsted), the neighborhood just blocks away from my family's apartment building. Englewood has vied for the 2nd most deadly neighborhood in Chicago for 40yrs. So I took the threats seriously.

Then, the Dr's office moved to the Back of The Yards neighborhood, less than 1.5 miles away, 46th and Ashland, which is loaded with Hispanic gangs. During the daytime it is pretty safe. At night it's a different story. I kept the Dr for a while, but then two Chicago Cops working undercover at 39th and Ashland were attacked at a street light in the evening by Hispanic gangs with AK's. They shot the heck out of their car, and shot one of the cops.

At the time I was seeing the Drs for my heart, so when I had my heart attack in 2017, I moved out of Canaryville and back to DuPage County to live with my parents. Their home is in a pretty safe area. Yet there is crime, so I carry a knife all of the time. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Slash

Post by Slash »

tonijedi wrote:
YES IT IS! maybe you been living in a glass house?
You never know when and where someone might choose to target you or someone near you. Better to be prepared for it was my point for bringing it up. EDC was the question and self defense was my answer. Not everyone walks around with a blade just to cut paper and whittle hair...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

A few years ago I would have said my ideal edc size folder would be something in the 6 to 9 inch range oal. With a preference of something in the 7 to 8 inch oal range.
But after alot of spydercos I just dont know anymore. I still think that is the normal edc size range, but I also like carrying big and small knives as well. Unless blade length restrictions are an issue, which is something I have never had a problem with, I am just all over the place in terms of what I carry.
Lately I have been wanting some of the bigger models as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:58 pm
Vivi wrote:

I spent my teen and early twenties in DuPage County, Illinois, and it was very conservative with several of the towns having quite a bit of farming or forestry in them. I rode my bicycle on many centuries (100 mile rides), and even had a gf that lived 50 miles away whose home I use to ride to at least twice a week for training. Never had a problem with anyone. Never was hit or brushed off the road by a car. I would not do that today, as the population has increased significantly.

I've lived in many other areas since, one of them the Old Stockyards area, a neighborhood called Canaryville (43rd and Halsted) in Chicago. I had a couple of threats made against me by minorities (black) just for daring to go to the Dr's office on the border street between Canaryville and Englewood(47th and Halsted), the neighborhood just blocks away from my family's apartment building. Englewood has vied for the 2nd most deadly neighborhood in Chicago for 40yrs. So I took the threats seriously.

Then, the Dr's office moved to the Back of The Yards neighborhood, less than 1.5 miles away, 46th and Ashland, which is loaded with Hispanic gangs. During the daytime it is pretty safe. At night it's a different story. I kept the Dr for a while, but then two Chicago Cops working undercover at 39th and Ashland were attacked at a street light in the evening by Hispanic gangs with AK's. They shot the heck out of their car, and shot one of the cops.

At the time I was seeing the Drs for my heart, so when I had my heart attack in 2017, I moved out of Canaryville and back to DuPage County to live with my parents. Their home is in a pretty safe area. Yet there is crime, so I carry a knife all of the time. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Good example of how things can be. :)
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

When it comes to self defense, it's what's in you head, and in you heart.

Edit: And if you carry a knife contemplating self defense, you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not study MBC. IMHO.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 am
tonijedi wrote:
You never know when and where someone might choose to target you or someone near you. Better to be prepared for it was my point for bringing it up. EDC was the question and self defense was my answer. Not everyone walks around with a blade just to cut paper and whittle hair...
If you want to be prepared for it, then carry your pistol. A folding knife would generally be inadequate in what you seem to be envisioning. A pistol is much more useful and much more commonly used effectively if you are speaking to defensive use.

To the question, PM2/Manix 2 size is the sweet spot for me. Not really noticeable in the pocket, and big enough for most any task.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Gamecock wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Slash wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
If you want to be prepared for it, then carry your pistol. A folding knife would generally be inadequate in what you seem to be envisioning. A pistol is much more useful and much more commonly used effectively if you are speaking to defensive use.

To the question, PM2/Manix 2 size is the sweet spot for me. Not really noticeable in the pocket, and big enough for most any task.
I agree Gamecock. A pistol should be a critical element of the equation. If you study MBC, however, you may learn that you pistol could be either your primary or your secondary choice depending on the situation.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Gamecock wrote:
Slash wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Not everyone has the option of carrying a firearm. I know that where I live, I do not qualify for a CCW permit. So for myself, the idea of carrying a gun legally is out of the question. BTW, before anybody says it, I also have no desire or intention to relocate to a state that does allow average citizens to obtain CCW permits easily. My life is here.

Now, as I mentioned, I personally do not carry a knife for the purpose of SD. That does not mean I rule it out; just that that’s not my purpose for carrying a knife. That said, I don’t fault anyone else who does, if the purpose is strictly for SD and not for criminal purposes.

A good, stout walking stick makes a great weapon, IF you know how to use it.

The greatest SD weapons are your awareness, and your ability/willingness to follow your intuition, and avoidance, if possible.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Slash wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

Not everyone has the option of carrying a firearm. I know that where I live, I do not qualify for a CCW permit. So for myself, the idea of carrying a gun legally is out of the question. BTW, before anybody says it, I also have no desire or intention to relocate to a state that does allow average citizens to obtain CCW permits easily. My life is here.

Now, as I mentioned, I personally do not carry a knife for the purpose of SD. That does not mean I rule it out; just that that’s not my purpose for carrying a knife. That said, I don’t fault anyone else who does, if the purpose is strictly for SD and not for criminal purposes.

A good, stout walking stick makes a great weapon, IF you know how to use it.

The greatest SD weapons are your awareness, and your ability/willingness to follow your intuition, and avoidance, if possible.

Jim

In NC they make it a complete total PITA just to BUY a handgun, much more so to get a CCW.

Rifles and shotguns you can just go in and buy...

I can get one, but I choose not to carry a gun, personal choice.