Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:54 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Slash wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:37 am

YES IT IS! maybe you been living in a glass house?
You never know when and where someone might choose to target you or someone near you. Better to be prepared for it was my point for bringing it up. EDC was the question and self defense was my answer. Not everyone walks around with a blade just to cut paper and whittle hair...
If you want to be prepared for it, then carry your pistol. A folding knife would generally be inadequate in what you seem to be envisioning. A pistol is much more useful and much more commonly used effectively if you are speaking to defensive use.

To the question, PM2/Manix 2 size is the sweet spot for me. Not really noticeable in the pocket, and big enough for most any task.
Not everyone has the option of carrying a firearm. I know that where I live, I do not qualify for a CCW permit. So for myself, the idea of carrying a gun legally is out of the question. BTW, before anybody says it, I also have no desire or intention to relocate to a state that does allow average citizens to obtain CCW permits easily. My life is here.

Now, as I mentioned, I personally do not carry a knife for the purpose of SD. That does not mean I rule it out; just that that’s not my purpose for carrying a knife. That said, I don’t fault anyone else who does, if the purpose is strictly for SD and not for criminal purposes.

A good, stout walking stick makes a great weapon, IF you know how to use it.

The greatest SD weapons are your awareness, and your ability/willingness to follow your intuition, and avoidance, if possible.

Jim

In NC they make it a complete total PITA just to BUY a handgun, much more so to get a CCW.

Rifles and shotguns you can just go in and buy...

I can get one, but I choose not to carry a gun, personal choice.
A ton of responsibilities come with it for sure. Some days I choose to, some I don’t. Most of the time I choose to it’s for other people around me, instead of my own defense. I have a similar “problem” to what Vivi does, apparently. I’m bout 6’3” 230lbs, bald, tattoos up and down my arms... anything can happen, but we don’t fit the “easy target” profile at all.

Edit* I’d never choose a knife fight. If I didn’t have a gun on me and I even thought I’d need it, I’d run away or use the SABRE (cs military tear gas/pepper spray combo) gel.
Last edited by prndltech on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JohnAPA wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:52 pm
When it comes to self defense, it's what's in you head, and in you heart.

Edit: And if you carry a knife contemplating self defense, you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not study MBC. IMHO.
Yea! Michael Janich would be great to train with. People that were his instructors are very similar to those who I've trained with. Michael Janich has a unique way of looking at self defense. I have a few of his DVDs, but nothing would beat training with him in person.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:16 pm
Good example of how things can be. :)
Right you are.

Depending on where you live, just going to the car or to the bus stop in the morning may be the last thing you ever do! Kids walking to school...littke kids in grammar school, are gunned down every year in Chicago.

Story regarding the perps who shot the Chicago Police Officers getting caught!
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:54 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Gamecock wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 pm

If you want to be prepared for it, then carry your pistol. A folding knife would generally be inadequate in what you seem to be envisioning. A pistol is much more useful and much more commonly used effectively if you are speaking to defensive use.

To the question, PM2/Manix 2 size is the sweet spot for me. Not really noticeable in the pocket, and big enough for most any task.
Not everyone has the option of carrying a firearm. I know that where I live, I do not qualify for a CCW permit. So for myself, the idea of carrying a gun legally is out of the question. BTW, before anybody says it, I also have no desire or intention to relocate to a state that does allow average citizens to obtain CCW permits easily. My life is here.

Now, as I mentioned, I personally do not carry a knife for the purpose of SD. That does not mean I rule it out; just that that’s not my purpose for carrying a knife. That said, I don’t fault anyone else who does, if the purpose is strictly for SD and not for criminal purposes.

A good, stout walking stick makes a great weapon, IF you know how to use it.

The greatest SD weapons are your awareness, and your ability/willingness to follow your intuition, and avoidance, if possible.

Jim

In NC they make it a complete total PITA just to BUY a handgun, much more so to get a CCW.

Rifles and shotguns you can just go in and buy...

I can get one, but I choose not to carry a gun, personal choice.
A ton of responsibilities come with it for sure. Some days I choose to, some I don’t. Most of the time I choose to it’s for other people around me, instead of my own defense. I have a similar “problem” to what Vivi does, apparently. I’m bout 6’3” 230lbs, bald, tattoos up and down my arms... anything can happen, but we don’t fit the “easy target” profile at all.

Edit* I’d never choose a knife fight. If I didn’t have a gun on me and I even thought I’d need it, I’d run away or use the SABRE (cs military tear gas/pepper spray combo) gel.

Like they say anything is better than fingernails.

A knife is better, but there are a lot of things even better than that, and not talking about guns here either.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Right you are.

Depending on where you live, just going to the car or to the bus stop in the morning may be the last thing you ever do! Kids walking to school...littke kids in grammar school, are gunned down every year in Chicago.

Chicago and Baltimore are two most dangerous cities to live in now.
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 pm
Naperville wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Right you are.

Really that bad?
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nativeleek wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:18 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 pm
Naperville wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Right you are.

Really that bad?

Yes they are...

And they are getting even worse as time goes on.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Knives are always hot and NEVER jam. Of course you know the saying, don't bring a knife to a gun fight. But, it's better than nothing and beats throwing a candy bar at someone...
James Y

Post by James Y »

There was a woman whose house was broken into in a home invasion, and the guy tried to sexually assault her. She ended up stabbing him to death in self-defense. Surprisingly, the news story actually showed photos of the woman and the knife she used. First off, she appeared to be a heavy-set middle-aged woman who probably never studied knife combatives in her life; Secondly, the knife was a cheap Gerber liner lock with blackened blade and partial serrations. It was a knife I used to see years ago on sale at Target stores; the blade was just slightly over 3”.

Many people who talk about knives and SD online seem to think that it’s some kind of knife vs knife duel, and you need some kind of high-speed, low-drag tactical ‘fighter’. That’s almost never going to be the case, as happened in the above case. I don’t know if she had the knife in her pocket or on a table/in a drawer, but that was what she used, and it worked for her in that case. The home invader may not have even seen the knife. IIRC, it was ruled SD in her favor.

Like I mentioned, I don’t personally carry knives specifically for SD purposes, but wanted to point out that if such a situation arises, the knife you have on you is going to be better than the one you left in your safe.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:13 pm
There was a woman whose house was broken into in a home invasion, and the guy tried to sexually assault her. She ended up stabbing him to death in self-defense. Surprisingly, the news story actually showed photos of the woman and the knife she used. First off, she appeared to be a heavy-set middle-aged woman who probably never studied knife combatives in her life; Secondly, the knife was a cheap Gerber liner lock with blackened blade and partial serrations. It was a knife I used to see years ago on sale at Target stores; the blade was just slightly over 3”.

Many people who talk about knives and SD online seem to think that it’s some kind of knife vs knife duel, and you need some kind of high-speed, low-drag tactical ‘fighter’. That’s almost never going to be the case, as happened in the above case. I don’t know if she had the knife in her pocket or on a table/in a drawer, but that was what she used, and it worked for her in that case. The home invader may not have even seen the knife. IIRC, it was ruled SD in her favor.

Like I mentioned, I don’t personally carry knives specifically for SD purposes, but wanted to point out that if such a situation arises, the knife you have on you is going to be better than the one you left in your safe.

Jim

Jim,

A lot of that is just marketing for the knife companies and ones who sell SD items etc.

Buy this or that and they have some model all dressed up in tactical gear holding a knife trying to look tough or some female model not wearing much holding a product... It's really pathetic IMO....

Marketing is what it is in the end however...

But yes what you have with you is better than what is in the car or the safe at home. Anything is totally useless unless it's at hand when needed.

Even in a home invasion if everything is locked in a safe and unloaded it's likely going to be totally useless 99.9% of the time.

Will be good after invasion cash for the invaders after they kill everyone then open the safe though. ;)

Surprises the heck out of me too that the media actually posted a photo. Defiantly not normal for them....

Jim
nativeleek

Post by nativeleek »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Totally agree. What you have on you are the only things that can be helpful in emergency situations. Therefore I believe that a high-quality folder should be carried everyday instead of being left home as a safe queen.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Delica for me.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nativeleek wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Totally agree. What you have on you are the only things that can be helpful in emergency situations. Therefore I believe that a high-quality folder should be carried everyday instead of being left home as a safe queen.

I am not sure what the real answers are given the current climate of today.

If you follow what they want you to follow you put yourself and the family members at risk. That's locking everything up in the home with non adults around. If you don't and something happens then you run the risk of being charged with child endangerment or something. Some DA's can get pretty inventive these days....

As far as EDC carry goes knife wise just follow the local laws, but have it on you.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 pm
nativeleek wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

If you follow what they want you to follow you put yourself and the family members at risk. That's locking everything up in the home with non adults around. If you don't and something happens then you run the risk of being charged with child endangerment or something. Some DA's can get pretty inventive these days....

As far as EDC carry goes knife wise just follow the local laws, but have it on you.
Fortunately for me (or unfortunately, depending on one’s views), there are no kids in my home, so my knives are distributed in special places throughout my house for easy access in case I need one (or want to fiddle with it). :). And I always have one or two right around or on me, as when I don’t, I find I always find myself needing one for something or other, anyway.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 pm
Ankerson wrote:
nativeleek wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Fortunately for me (or unfortunately, depending on one’s views), there are no kids in my home, so my knives are distributed in special places throughout my house for easy access in case I need one (or want to fiddle with it). :). And I always have one or two right around or on me, as when I don’t, I find I always find myself needing one for something or other, anyway.

Jim

Jim,

I don't live with any kids either so I am not all that worried about it personally.

But for those who do, well that's another matter and why I was thinking about it.

What do you do?

Follow what they want you to locking everything up risking the wellbeing of all the family or risk jailtime protecting them, or at least having a real chance of doing so rather than the latter with almost zero chance. (Home invasion)

Even an M60 Machine Gun is totally useless if it's locked in a safe when they break through the door. Might as well be 1,000 miles away.....

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:37 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
nativeleek wrote:

Jim

Jim,

I don't live with any kids either so I am not all that worried about it personally.

But for those who do, well that's another matter and why I was thinking about it.

What do you do?

Follow what they want you to locking everything up risking the wellbeing of all the family or risk jailtime protecting them, or at least having a real chance of doing so rather than the latter with almost zero chance. (Home invasion)

Even an M60 Machine Gun is totally useless if it's locked in a safe when they break through the door. Might as well be 1,000 miles away.....

Jim
Jim,
I totally agree. There are so many hoops that the average, law-abiding citizen must jump through to be deemed worthy of defending one’s self and family; meanwhile, there are zero such restrictions faced by criminals. So out of the gate, the law-abiding person is at a distinct disadvantage. These laws are thought up and passed by sometimes well-meaning, but mostly clueless people, who have zero concept of how quickly and suddenly stuff happens.

Jim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am
tonijedi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:46 am
Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?

Depends on where a person lives and in what area of town the store is in.

Were I live it is generally not too bad, not as safe as it was 25 years ago, but still not like Baltimore City or Chicago... YET....

Used to VERY safe before all those people started moving in around the area, gotten progressively worse, well more people, more problems....

Like James, people being shot, killed and beaten not too far from were I live now, within a mile or 2.....

The Wal-Mart is right in the middle of a high crime area......
Who's moving in that's causing trouble?

Guys with large EDCs - what is your day like? The city kid in me is not going to ever "need" 4.5" of blade, outside of a kitchen - but where is it useful for you guys?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Jim,

What do you do?

Jim
Jim,
I totally agree. There are so many hoops that the average, law-abiding citizen must jump through to be deemed worthy of defending one’s self and family; meanwhile, there are zero such restrictions faced by criminals. So out of the gate, the law-abiding person is at a distinct disadvantage. These laws are thought up and passed by sometimes well-meaning, but mostly clueless people, who have zero concept of how quickly and suddenly stuff happens.

Jim

Jim,

A lot of those laws are nothing more than knee jerk reactions to something happening.

So they make a law because the parents can't control their kids or raise them correctly.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am
tonijedi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:46 am
Are you guys serious about this? Is it that dangerous to go shopping where you live?

Depends on where a person lives and in what area of town the store is in.

Were I live it is generally not too bad, not as safe as it was 25 years ago, but still not like Baltimore City or Chicago... YET....

Used to VERY safe before all those people started moving in around the area, gotten progressively worse, well more people, more problems....

Like James, people being shot, killed and beaten not too far from were I live now, within a mile or 2.....

The Wal-Mart is right in the middle of a high crime area......
Who's moving in that's causing trouble?

Guys with large EDCs - what is your day like? The city kid in me is not going to ever "need" 4.5" of blade, outside of a kitchen - but where is it useful for you guys?

A lot of people.... ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

What do you do?

Jim
Jim,

Jim

Jim,

A lot of those laws are nothing more than knee jerk reactions to something happening.

So they make a law because the parents can't control their kids or raise them correctly.

Jim
Good point. For example, I recall in the ‘70s every other boy I knew also carried some type of pocketknife to school. I never once saw anyone pull their pocketknife in a fight. Sometime in later years came all of these anti-pocketknife restrictions, but schools aren’t safer today. Quite the opposite, in fact. If kids aren’t brought up being taught how to properly handle, use and care for their pocketknives, and instead are kept away from them and instead see all these restrictions, of course they will only see and treat them as weapons.

Jim