Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nativeleek

Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by nativeleek »

Hi there.

Just want a discussion on your favorite size for an EDC folder.

IMHO, a perfect EDC folder should have a handle long enough to accommodate all four fingers with none sticking out from my pinky in saber grip. This provides a secure grip while maximizing the carriability.

In my situation, the ideal handle length is somewhere between 3.6 inches to 3.9 inches depending on its design.

Do you prefer a smaller handle or something larger for various grip choices? Please share your opinion.

Thanks!
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
standy99

Re: Discussion: What do you think is the best size for an EDC folder?

Post by standy99 »

Happy with a Delica.

GB1 or PM2 is probably my sweet spot size.

Anything bigger than a Military is too big. Smallest Spyderco I have is the Pingo

But you will get a lot of answers with different hand sizes and preferences so best is pick what makes you happy as there is no rule
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Depends on my intended use. For outdoor use like my kayak fishing I like a 3.5-4 inch blade. For normal EDC stuff i gravitate more towards the 3-3.5 inch range.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here in the great State of Missouri where I'm living we are blessed with a 4 inch blade length limit for a folder. Not exactly sure where they draw the line with a fixed blade. But during hunting and fishing seasons I usually have a fixed blade strapped on me and I've never yet had any person or LEO say anything to me about it.

Kind of like what Surfingringo just said I just kind of go with what I think I will be dealing with throughout the course of a typical day. At this particular time my main EDC is a C-36 Military model with an M390 blade. And there isn't hardly any job I can't get done with that folder. If I have a big job of some type confront me I just go to a fixed blade.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Totally depends. I prefer a 4 inch blade. 3.5 to 4.75 is great. It can be smaller than 3.5 if there's no choil.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I understand all folder sizes but for my EDC (urban) Delica size is the limit. Bigger than that is overkill.
If I'm on a trail I may consider the Pacific Salt but even then, because I'm so used to the Delica size, I may just take what I use to carry.
Ric

Post by Ric »

3 inch, 3.5 ounces.
For me Para 3 or smaller.

For me tasks a Victorinox Classic would be enough.
But my ego wants more ;)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ladybug - military
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Knives with 3" blades are the sweet spot for me but I often carry shorter (2.5") or longer (3.5").
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Really depends on what you do or intend to be doing, but I think that folders with a blade around 3.5" are very common because of how they relate to the average hand size. I find myself often carrying something between 3.25" and 3.75".

However, most people don't actually need the leverage or comfort of a hand filling knife as a default EDC, and prefer something less obtrusive.

I find that something like the PM2 gives my preferred amount of comfort and control, but it's a bit over kill for the office. Something like the Bugout has the same cutting edge length, but is generally easier to carry and more appropriate in an office, even if it is a noticeable compromise.

My dad carried a knife his whole life and now swears that a Vic Classic is all the knife you'll ever really need as an EDC. Hard to disagree if the knife you need for a job is never far from reach.
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I prefer larger folders. Been edcing the police 4 for awhile now and liking it alot. I also carry a native 5 SE LW daily too for handing out or other mundane task. But if I was only carrying one the native 5 would probably get cut instead of the police 4. What I like about the native 5 is the handle doesn't hook at the end so my pinky doesn't have to cram into that area. It can just rest past it. Also the lack of a thumb ramp helps with the smaller handle.

I also carry a H1 spyderhawk SE as my do whatever knife since it can take a beating and not rust. I just don't hand it out like the native because it's not as easily replaced. I'm okay with with me breaking it or losing it but not other people. Again I prefer larger knives for EDC. I don't have to carry smaller knives because of legal limitations so I'll take full size/large knives any day of the week.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Best size? Not my Tatanka. Not just my Manbug Salt as the primary. Anything in between is pretty much a go.

What model is based on a whim. Several Shaman variants have been my most carried over the past few months, but for the past few days it’s been my Rex45 Millie.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

3.75 inch edge length.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Endura has the perfect length for me, blade and handlewise.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica is it. Chaparral on the small side. PM2 on the big side.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nativeleek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am
Hi there.

IMHO, a perfect EDC folder should have a handle long enough to accommodate all four fingers with none sticking out from my pinky in saber grip. This provides a secure grip while maximizing the carriability.

In my situation, the ideal handle length is somewhere between 3.6 inches to 3.9 inches depending on its design.

Do you prefer a smaller handle or something larger for various grip choices? Please share your opinion.

Thanks!

I just read this a little more thorough and I can sort of relate, I used to obsess quite a bit about how much handle was sticking out of the end of my hand. It took me a LONG time to warm up to the Military for this reason, but it's now probably my overall favorite knife. All I can say is my taste for slightly longer blades made longer handles a necessity so I adjusted. I also have pretty big hands so on a knife like the Caribbean I don't have much handle sticking out in a full fisted grip and it gives me the edge length I'm looking for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

For a one-hand opening folder, I generally prefer a blade from around 3” to 3.5”, though I enjoy and use folders with shorter blades on up to 4”.

Jim
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Depends on how big your hands are too. Just ask Evil D, Vivi, and a few others. I have fairly large hands, but really like 3” blade, 4” handles for EDC. Always a large folder in my back pocket, though (when out and about).
- best wishes, Jazz.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The PM2 or Manix 2 or Shaman hit the spot for me. I guess that is 3.4 to 3.5 inches. I have no objection whatsoever to longer knives like the Military or Police. I definitely dislike smaller knives.

The exception in the realm of small knives being the Native 5, which I like a lot for some reason. I can hold it with a finger in the choil, but I essentially never do. But it is still a compromise for me and I prefer a bigger knife.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nativeleek wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am
Hi there.

Thanks!

That will depend on both the user and the local laws in the end.