Opinions on serrated s30v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Opinions on serrated s30v?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hey all,

Today the spyderedge Shaman started to call to me. I definitely enjoy the performance of H1 in spyderedge knives, but I'm willing to consider other steels.

What's been your experience with serrated s30v?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Re: Opinions on serrated s30v?

Post by Evil D »

It's a situation where if I can only get it in S30V then fine, but I'd rather have H1 or LC if I could choose. I've been considering a SE Shaman myself. I also still plan on having serrations ground into a Sliverax when I get around to it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find serrated S30V performs well enough. Not hard to touch up with ceramics either. If you like the shaman I don't think you would be disappointed with it. I'd like to see the comp lock military 2 offered in SE S30V.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I much prefer s30v and vg10 serrations to H1 because you can get them full flat grind. I guess the Caribbean has lc200n ffg, that would be good too. The serrated para 3 is one of my most used and it’s s30v. It’s fine as long as you have a sharpmaker to touch it up.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Serrated S30V is really good. I have a PM2 Fully Serrated and a Military combo edge in S30V. The main thing you need to ask yourself is what you will be using it for.

There are at-least 4 different types of Spydie edges.

For example I owned an older Military in S30V combo bladed DLC model the serrations were of the variety that were very pointy and aggressive it would have been fine for cutting heavy rope.

It was not good for my usage so I sold it.

My second newer Military version that is a non DLC Combo edge has the less pointy deep scallops that blend nicely into the plain edge and it is perfect for my usage, I am also certain it can cut heavy rope but is no where near as aggressive much more refined.

S30V is excellent as a serrated blade it holds up for a very long time and stays very sharp and those scallops can be polished on a sharpmaker to a very high hone. So in closing I would say the serration pattern is very important and that S30V is an excellent choice for serrations.

I just looked at the spydie edge on the shaman and this is a favored variety of mine very very slicey. Go for it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 am
I find serrated S30V performs well enough. Not hard to touch up with ceramics either. If you like the shaman I don't think you would be disappointed with it. I'd like to see the comp lock military 2 offered in SE S30V.
As a general rule S30V is not one of my favorite blade steels for a lot of reasons. And I like a lot of Crucible's blade steels too. Now S30V in serrated blades is not all that bad. However I liked it's predecessor 440V ( S60V) a lot better for PE & SE both. 440V in SE is a super performer with Teeth.

Now if there was a really good design that I liked in Combo Edge I would not let S30V steel stop me from own it. But for just a plain edge alone no I don't want that blade steel.