K390 PM2 | Testing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: K390 PM2 | Testing

Post by Deadboxhero »

K390 police 4 hardness

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Can you discern any difference in performance with the 1 point difference in hrc?
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 am

Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)
I had to add that line to my signature!
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Took me a few years after our conversation to get one but I understand now. Works nice for testing.

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:37 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:44 am
Good stuff, thanks. Surprised at how uneven the grind was. I don't mind bevels being uneven when freehand sharpening. I just keep the angle as consistent as possible and disregard the bevel. I've never had a spyderco show up as uneven as this one did though. Surprising.
I'm a freehand sharpener so I don't notice with my other knives, like I mentioned above, freehand sharpeners match the bevels more since we focus on matching by eye.

With a fixed angle system it sets the exact angle. With the laser it shows the exact angle.

It seems most production knives should be kept at 20dps on a system like this to avoid funky looking bevels and there some tricks to even out the bevels aesthetically using slightly different angles on each side.

I've noticed the fixed angle boys complain about this but I never understood because I did not use nor own a good fixed angle system like the edge pro until just recently to play with. I have been curious to see what Jim Ankerson was always talking about and also lots of my customers use this system so I traded a Vanax knife for an edgepro apex to see what this was about.

I wanted to test the edge so I just hammered a 14dps on the blade with a disregard to the aesthetics. If I'm not selling it I personally don't care which feels good when your life revolves around stressing about aesthetics for what you do sell.

I am happy to have this knife and I'mma use it a lot. I could regrind it but I'd rather spend that time and money on work I sell so I can keep doing what I do.

Getting the EP was likely the smartest thing you did, will be a large time saver for you in the long run.
I never thought I’d hear BBB say those words. Makes me feel like I can go get a guided system now. KME or Hapstone? Lol
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I think there is no shortage of endless debates about freehand vs fixed angle systems and big egos on both sides.

I'd just say they do different things and have there advantages and disadvantages.

I'd say if folks want to get the most out of geeking on knife edges folks need to explore and master BOTH and see for themselves rather than one vs the other.

The joy of things is in the experience after all.

Without new experiences a persons passion can slowly flicker out.

ArnAnders89 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 pm
Took me a few years after our conversation to get one but I understand now. Works nice for testing.

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:37 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am

I'm a freehand sharpener so I don't notice with my other knives, like I mentioned above, freehand sharpeners match the bevels more since we focus on matching by eye.

With a fixed angle system it sets the exact angle. With the laser it shows the exact angle.

It seems most production knives should be kept at 20dps on a system like this to avoid funky looking bevels and there some tricks to even out the bevels aesthetically using slightly different angles on each side.

I've noticed the fixed angle boys complain about this but I never understood because I did not use nor own a good fixed angle system like the edge pro until just recently to play with. I have been curious to see what Jim Ankerson was always talking about and also lots of my customers use this system so I traded a Vanax knife for an edgepro apex to see what this was about.

I wanted to test the edge so I just hammered a 14dps on the blade with a disregard to the aesthetics. If I'm not selling it I personally don't care which feels good when your life revolves around stressing about aesthetics for what you do sell.

I am happy to have this knife and I'mma use it a lot. I could regrind it but I'd rather spend that time and money on work I sell so I can keep doing what I do.

Getting the EP was likely the smartest thing you did, will be a large time saver for you in the long run.
I never thought I’d hear BBB say those words. Makes me feel like I can go get a guided system now. KME or Hapstone? Lol
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives