Change Caribbean Scales to Rastafarian colors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should the Caribbean scales be changed?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 39

bearfacedkiller

Re: Change Caribbean Scales to Rastafarian colors?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:38 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:31 pm
Does it come with a spliff? Ya mon!
Is that why you don't like a certain color iteration? Historically, marijuana has always been heavily illegal in Jamaica. Despite the laws now which changed in 2015, it's still not smart to smoke there. Far from a stoner's paradise. I won't even go into what can happen to you if you try.

America's general conception of this is obviously way off.
I like the Rasta colors, it was just a joke. I have been to Jamaica and it seemed pretty stoner friendly to me. I saw so many people smoking in the open that I asked a cop on the street about it and he confirmed that it wasn’t really enforced. That was Montego Bay in the late ‘90s so things have probably changed a lot.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 pm
I don’t have a Caribbean yet but I love black and yellow. As an old school Yamaha fan it is my favorite combo. I even painted my Jeep black and yellow. Whenever I get around to painting my Suzuki Samurai it will probably be yellow and black as well.
I knew there was a reason I liked you. They match my RZ350 perfectly.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm
Nope, I don't want people to think I'm carrying weed. :P
Lol, I can see it now. I'm officially the forum stoner.

Edit: Public Service Announcement: Say no to drugs, kids! I have a respectable job that drug tests frequently. The only way to truly get ahead in life is stay clean!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:38 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:31 pm
Does it come with a spliff? Ya mon!
Is that why you don't like a certain color iteration? Historically, marijuana has always been heavily illegal in Jamaica. Despite the laws now which changed in 2015, it's still not smart to smoke there. Far from a stoner's paradise. I won't even go into what can happen to you if you try.

America's general conception of this is obviously way off.
Yep, I'd urge everyone here to at least read the wikipedia article on rastafarians.

They're basically Christians that are more likely be vegan than a typical Christian. Oh, an they believe an obscure legend that in Biblical times the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon produced an offspring that ruled Ethiopia, and that blood line from the Solomic Dynasty continued to rule Ethiopia for thousands of years, until the modern day.

Haile Selassie I, the Ethiopian emperor during the majority of the 20th century, also known as Ras Tafari Makonnen traced his lineage back to Menelik I, 10th century BC. He is where rastafarians took their name, believing him to either be the second coming of jesus of a holy prophet in the same vein as Abraham, Moses, etc. Their flag features the conquering lion of judah and they read mostly the same Bible people in the USA do.

I'm not religious but I like studying religions. I always found the rasta story fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:26 pm
I'm officially the forum stoner.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sumdumguy wrote:
That weed is more legal to carry than the knife in some places! ;) lol
Bloke wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:26 pm
I'm officially the forum stoner.
LOL That's great Bloke!
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:50 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
That weed is more legal to carry than the knife in some places! ;) lol
I can neither confirm nor deny my possession of either >.>
<.<
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It turns out people love the current scales and wouldn't dare adding some green and red. Evidently this model is to remain ARBITRARILY named the Caribbean. Lol
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 pm
It turns out people love the current scales and wouldn't dare adding some green and red. Evidently this model is to remain ARBITRARILY named the Caribbean. Lol
Nothing arbitrary about it at all. Sal can correct me if I am wrong, but the Salt models are named after Oceans and Seas, not islands, continents, or other land masses. Hence, Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Nothing arbitrary about it at all. Sal can correct me if I am wrong, but the Salt models are named after Oceans and Seas, not islands, continents, or other land masses. Hence, Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, etc.
Then explain the bumblebee colors not many people like? And how it's appropriate for the name "Caribbean"? Just saying
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I can’t answer for Sal, but look at pictures of Caribbean fish and you might see the possible inspiration. For me, I would prefer all Salts be yellow.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

it is not a knife i own due to size. but if they did make a smaller one or... i would only buy it with solid colors. no bumble bee, no rasta flag. just yellow or black or green for lc200n.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Then explain the bumblebee colors not many people like? And how it's appropriate for the name "Caribbean"? Just saying
i spoke to someone at the company years ago and they told me they use yellow because it’s the most visible color in water. it’s the last color you lose as you go deeper into the water and that makes the knife easier to find.
as far as the bumblebee pattern, maybe they just saw a chance to do something cool with alternating layers for some contrast. most production salts are black or yellow, so maybe that’s why this one is black and yellow.
the name and colors are appropriate; not arbitrary.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ladybug93 wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
i spoke to someone at the company years ago and they told me they use yellow because it’s the most visible color in water. it’s the last color you lose as you go deeper into the water and that makes the knife easier to find.
as far as the bumblebee pattern, maybe they just saw a chance to do something cool with alternating layers for some contrast. most production salts are black or yellow, so maybe that’s why this one is black and yellow.
the name and colors are appropriate; not arbitrary.
By the color spectrum over visible wavelengths of light its not the last color to be visible. Its just accepted among divers that a vibrant yellow or green are the last colors to lose visibility at depth that give contrast with the environment. Blue is visible at a greater depth but isnt really doing you any favors. Then everything is just grey or black. Or you start getting past the photic zone but thats not really going to happen in recreational diving.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

As far as I recall, before the Caribbean came out, I think Sal said they actually took various prototype colours to different parts of the world, diving down to about 8 metres to test visibility and the bumblebee yellow and black contrast worked pretty well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Probably worth noting that Sal used to be a bee keeper.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 am
As far as I recall, before the Caribbean came out, I think Sal said they actually took various prototype colours to different parts of the world, diving down to about 8 metres to test visibility and the bumblebee yellow and black contrast worked pretty well.
That makes sense. Thanks
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Not trying to hi-jack, but wasn’t there talk of Titanium scales for the Caribbean? I’d love to see that happen. With all the success that SpydieChef has had, I see TI Caribbean being very popular as well.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

FullCircleHook wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:34 pm
Not trying to hi-jack, but wasn’t there talk of Titanium scales for the Caribbean? I’d love to see that happen. With all the success that SpydieChef has had, I see TI Caribbean being very popular as well.
Ohhhhhh, I do want to see a Ti Integral Comp Caribbean... Contoured, with the same machining as the current one.

-Thomas Jefferson