Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by SG89 »

The Stretch is not a popular model in the market, never has been. One of those knives that is misunderstood. However, The straight spine stretch is one of my all time favorite spyderco knives!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 am
The Stretch is not a popular model in the market, never has been. One of those knives that is misunderstood. However, The straight spine stretch is one of my all time favorite spyderco knives!

I know, never could really understand, but did assume it was due to the "funky" blade shape some do not like (I personally do like it!)
But I figured the straight spine would "fix" this...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:15 pm
So I am carrying my straight spine Stretch exclusively through the end of the year to really find out if I like the design better than my old SB Stretch 1.
So to followup...

As I had planned, I carried the Straight Spine Stretch exclusively from about 12/21 through the end of the year. I never carry knives exclusively, so this was a different experience.

I definitely like this blade shape way better than I do the 'regular' profile. Not sure why, and I have no technical reason why I should prefer it. But, the similarity to the PM2, is definitely a correlating factor. The Stretch 2 handle shape works well for me, although I had no complaints with the older handle.

The edge was very finely ground, and VG-10 is an excellent steel for my actual usage. It stayed very sharp thought Christmas, dealing with plenty of boxes, plastic, and some food. Zero issues, and honestly, not needing to worry about corrosion was a great benefit.

I don't love that color, but also have no issues with it. (Some of the Rit Dye in previous posts are inspiring me!) Everyone I'm around knows I carry a knife, and so the less discrete ivory color was not an issue.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend picking this up if you like PM2 sized blades. This to me is a more durable (FRN, VG-10), and maybe less fussy version (backlock, and therefore less adjustment to get action dialed in) of the all-time great PM2.

Get it if you can!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:15 pm
So I am carrying my straight spine Stretch exclusively through the end of the year to really find out if I like the design better than my old SB Stretch 1.
So to followup...

As I had planned, I carried the Straight Spine Stretch exclusively from about 12/21 through the end of the year. I never carry knives exclusively, so this was a different experience.

I definitely like this blade shape way better than I do the 'regular' profile. Not sure why, and I have no technical reason why I should prefer it. But, the similarity to the PM2, is definitely a correlating factor. The Stretch 2 handle shape works well for me, although I had no complaints with the older handle.

The edge was very finely ground, and VG-10 is an excellent steel for my actual usage. It stayed very sharp thought Christmas, dealing with plenty of boxes, plastic, and some food. Zero issues, and honestly, not needing to worry about corrosion was a great benefit.

I don't love that color, but also have no issues with it. (Some of the Rit Dye in previous posts are inspiring me!) Everyone I'm around knows I carry a knife, and so the less discrete ivory color was not an issue.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend picking this up if you like PM2 sized blades. This to me is a more durable (FRN, VG-10), and maybe less fussy version (backlock, and therefore less adjustment to get action dialed in) of the all-time great PM2.

Get it if you can!
+1

and thanks for the follow up!
Just for my preferences it is the "better PM 2"
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

I know, never could really understand, but did assume it was due to the "funky" blade shape some do not like (I personally do like it!)
But I figured the straight spine would "fix" this...
I think the funky blade shape and price have a lot to do with it. The regular non-AFI customer sees the base model Endura and chooses it over the more expensive base model Stretch.
Spydergirl88
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Spydergirl, may I ask:

Since you are female I just assume you will have somewhat smaller hands than me (L to XL hands, 6.2" male)

Before I held a Stretch 2 (which the SS Stretch is) I could not imagine that the ergos of the Stretch 1 (one) could be made even better.
But still Sal managed to do so with the Stretch 2 (two)

How is this with smaller hands (should you have those)? Are the ergos still as perfect as they are for me on the Stretch 2 (SS Stretch)?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:

P.S.: You REALLY like the Straight Spine Stretch, right? (And I totally get that!)
Just realized you even changed your icon to a pic showing the SS Stretch... ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:34 am
Spydergirl, may I ask:

Since you are female I just assume you will have somewhat smaller hands than me (L to XL hands, 6.2" male)

Before I held a Stretch 2 (which the SS Stretch is) I could not imagine that the ergos of the Stretch 1 (one) could be made even better.
But still Sal managed to do so with the Stretch 2 (two)

How is this with smaller hands (should you have those)? Are the ergos still as perfect as they are for me on the Stretch 2 (SS Stretch)?
I have small hands and slim fingers. The Stretch 2's "palmswell" fits my hand perfectly and the blade's thumb-ramp supports my thumb very well (not too sharp of an angle) The finger choil locks in my forefinger better than many larger knives do (when I change my grip to "choke up"). It has been several years since I had a Stretch 1 so I do not remember the minute differences in ergos. I had a SE Stretch 1 and loved it but eventually sold it to buy another spydie (can't remember which one).

But I know that the Stretch 2 (for me) is wonderful. A handle design that fits my small hands and other's large hands. And a blade shape I prefer. I changed my avatar to show gratitude to Spyderco for continuing to listen to their customers and constantly improving their designs.
Spydergirl88
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:49 am

Did not know that even in the US the SS Stretch is still in stock... wonder why this is, given it´s such a great model in a size category many like...

For ME personally it´s almost perfect so I can only speculate, why the sales are not super fast:

1. Steel: I love VG10 for a general EDC knife, but some consider it "inferior"?
2. Color: I also really like the Ivory color, but it probably is not a color for everyone?... and the knife sure a bit "flashy" in almost-white and with a shiny clip
3. (1.+2.): So some people might hope and hold out for more steel- and color variants in the future?
4. Some might be used to and expect that a sprint run is about materials (mostly steel of course) and not blade shape?
5. Just unawareness of the knife: A straight spine Stretch has been discussed in theory for a long time as far as I know.
But when it really "came to life" it was pretty "out of the blue", not a lot rumors and anticipation beforehand.
So maybe many non-forum-people still simply don´t know about this sprint... ?

Am sure some or all of those things are factors, but I think two other things come into play.

6. Sprints made outside the USA never seem to sell out as quickly as those made in Golden. It may be that Spyderco's Japanese makers still require a 1200 piece minimum order while Golden Sprint runs can be smaller, it may be the greater variety of "exotic" steels that Golden can offer. It may be that US made Sprints tend to balloon quickly in resale value, thus enticing flippers to buy multiples of them.

7. There are only so many folks who visit this forum and/or other venues where Spyderco has a presence and are aware of Sprints. There may be thousands of members here, but I'd bet money that fewer than 500 of them are active at any given time if you define "active" as "having logged on at least once in the past month". Unless a dealer showcases a Sprint on the front page of their website, a lot of customers, including some forum members, will never know it exists.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Really like the way this clip looks on the SSS.
Attachments
20200404_115506.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have come to conclude that I’m not happy with the straight-spine Stretch2.

Every time I hold mine, it tells me it’s a midlock PM2 (I cannot agree) and not a Stretch (I cannot disagree).

Plus, I think I don’t care for the attempted ivory.

Odd how irrational thoughts can weigh on you.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 am
I have come to conclude that I’m not happy with the straight-spine Stretch2.

Every time I hold mine, it tells me it’s a midlock PM2 (I cannot agree) and not a Stretch (I cannot disagree).

Plus, I think I don’t care for the attempted ivory.

Odd how irrational thoughts can weigh on you.

i totally respect your opinion, but funny, I feel quite the opposite (discussed in this thread anyway)

The PM2 and the Stretch 2 are very similar in most dimensions, that´s true - but still feel like really different knives to me.
Especially the ergos are different in use, and the thinner Stretch blade with its very long totally straight section and large belly towards the end in the edge does cut just, well..., differently to the thicker PM2 blade and its overall from heel to tip "curved" edge.

None cuts "better" or "worse", but certainly not the same (way) for me, and so the SSS is not "just" a "midlock PM2" imho... just my 2c of course.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I like to think of it as the ultimate evolution of spyderco ingenuity among seki models. It combines a thin blade stock in a full size knife with a finger choil, keeps it affordable with vg10 and frn, new color to satisy those that are bored of the same old colors out of seki...this and a manix 2 are really great examples of spyderco knives that are a lot of bang for your buck.
Spydergirl88
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 pm
I like to think of it as the ultimate evolution of spyderco ingenuity among seki models. It combines a thin blade stock in a full size knife with a finger choil, keeps it affordable with vg10 and frn, new color to satisy those that are bored of the same old colors out of seki...this and a manix 2 are really great examples of spyderco knives that are a lot of bang for your buck.
Agree with this. Such a great knife! It's literally everything I could want in knife.

I would be happy with a ZDP-189 version. I would also be happy with a K390 version. Or a HAP-40 version.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I haven't handled the SSS, but the OG-blade shape Stretch 2 is a masterpiece - combining that with the more aggressive clip-style blade makes it a winner all around. That said, I'm not married to the clip-point given how similar it is to the PM2 specs already. The OG blade is funky and distinctive, gives the collection a bit of variety.
I missed out on the SSS sprint run, but I'm looking forward to the K390 production in the near(?) future, in either blade shape.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Maximumsmoochy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I haven't handled the SSS, but the OG-blade shape Stretch 2 is a masterpiece - combining that with the more aggressive clip-style blade makes it a winner all around. That said, I'm not married to the clip-point given how similar it is to the PM2 specs already. The OG blade is funky and distinctive, gives the collection a bit of variety.
I missed out on the SSS sprint run, but I'm looking forward to the K390 production in the near(?) future, in either blade shape.

I slightly prefer the "original", "funky" blade shape (or better said "spine shape") of the Stretch too.
Still, the SSS is a great alternative, and, at least in Europe, still available (which is kind of sad somehow, it is a knife that should sell well and quickly imho).
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:52 am
I slightly prefer the "original", "funky" blade shape (or better said "spine shape") of the Stretch too.
Still, the SSS is a great alternative, and, at least in Europe, still available (which is kind of sad somehow, it is a knife that should sell well and quickly imho).
Man, I should have bought it from you when you send me that message :D Now sadly I am trying to reduce amount of knives that I am buying.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:00 pm
... just my 2c of course.
That’s all I was offering. I’m not right, you’re not wrong.
:)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:00 pm
... just my 2c of course.
That’s all I was offering. I’m not right, you’re not wrong.
:)

Well said! :)

But tbh: To me it was interesting indeed to feel and experience the difference in cutting between rather similar blades, but one with a continous belly (PM2) and one with a long totally straight section (Stretch)
Both shapes will certainly have their pros and cons. But I remember someone here saying that one advantage of the long, straight section in the edge of the Stretch would be, that the knife is more prevented from "sliding off" of things one is cutting. That might very well be true.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 am
To me it was interesting indeed to feel and experience the difference in cutting between rather similar blades, but one with a continous belly (PM2) and one with a long totally straight section (Stretch)
Both shapes will certainly have their pros and cons. But I remember someone here saying that one advantage of the long, straight section in the edge of the Stretch would be, that the knife is more prevented from "sliding off" of things one is cutting. That might very well be true.
I’ve said elsewhere that the PM2 is not my most loved Spydie but is the best utility knife I’ve ever used.

Could I live with only one Stretch or Stretch2? Of course, and happily. I love the original blade-shape and I well-understand why hunters particularly are drawn to its edge-shape. I wish I’d had one when I hunted caribou with the Naskapis during my many months among them.

But as a fan of difference in design, I don’t care much for blurring of distinctions, even if it’s the Glessers who rightly do it.

It remains a mystery to me why many here become vocal fans of a particular Spydie model or family of models and not of others, yet beg for key features in other models to be incorporated into their favored models.

There is, of course, absolutely no reason why fans should not beg, nor the Glessers accommodate.

I just prefer distinctions.