Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by wrdwrght »

Signs of a frustrating launch—like the Crucarta Shaman—seem to be showing...

I wish it were otherwise, especially for all who want to see if this Stretch satisfies as a PM2 alternative, and a lightweight one at that.

My interest has more to do with the straight spine. When I first joined, I disliked this look—as in the Military and Endura family—preferring instead the leaf shape (aka drop-point). The Tenacious was my first Spydie

But this shape is not as spare as can be, and spareness began to call me once I compared my next two Spydies: a Manix2 and a PM2. While I loved the Manix2 instantly, not so the PM2, yet I could not help but respect the minimalist qualities of the latter, especially its flow-through stand-offs and a spine that went straight to the point. My admiration did not lead immediately to actual affection, however.

First came the original Bradley folder, then came, because of it and The Deacon’s persistent advocacy, the Stretch, which, for all its subtleties, I now love.

The meaning of the modified drop-point did not first strike me as a minimizing effort. I was too caught up in the blade’s graceful lines. But, hey, weight does get reduced in this modification. Maybe the result isn’t as pleasing to the eye of some, but ounces have been shed. And even more in the case of the straightened spine.

As an exercise in paring down, I’m more than interested in this model, but not enough to put up with another Crucarta Shaman shopping experience.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I tried to resist this one and I hoped it would be harder for me to find. Unfortunately ;) I found it in stock again today and pulled the trigger. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

Not familiar with St Cloud Knives, but they appear to be in stock there.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:02 pm
Signs of a frustrating launch—like the Crucarta Shaman—seem to be showing...

I wish it were otherwise, especially for all who want to see if this Stretch satisfies as a PM2 alternative, and a lightweight one at that.

My interest has more to do with the straight spine. When I first joined, I disliked this look—as in the Military and Endura family—preferring instead the leaf shape (aka drop-point). The Tenacious was my first Spydie

But this shape is not as spare as can be, and spareness began to call me once I compared my next two Spydies: a Manix2 and a PM2. While I loved the Manix2 instantly, not so the PM2, yet I could not help but respect the minimalist qualities of the latter, especially its flow-through stand-offs and a spine that went straight to the point. My admiration did not lead immediately to actual affection, however.

First came the original Bradley folder, then came, because of it and The Deacon’s persistent advocacy, the Stretch, which, for all its subtleties, I now love.

The meaning of the modified drop-point did not first strike me as a minimizing effort. I was too caught up in the blade’s graceful lines. But, hey, weight does get reduced in this modification. Maybe the result isn’t as pleasing to the eye of some, but ounces have been shed. And even more in the case of the straightened spine.

As an exercise in paring down, I’m more than interested in this model, but not enough to put up with another Crucarta Shaman shopping experience.
Well said, while I love Spyderco product and respect Sal, I actively dislike the way business is being conducted in this past year.

Hope it changes. Right now I am still buying but am feeling a bit resentful doing so as it is promoting a way of doing business I object to.

I can see buying will cease in time if this way of doing business continues. 2020 is shaping up to be a year of less buying.
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

abiggs

Post by abiggs »

I know I’m new here, and I don’t mean to stir the pot, but I don’t understand the frustration with how this model is being released. If these were in stock for days or weeks than there would either be too many to be considered a sprint, or it would show disinterest in the model. For me, part of the fun of collecting is the hunt. There have been plenty of knives I’ve missed out on due to being too busy to watch the forums or frantically check websites, but that’s ok, other people beat me to it. There’s always a way to trade for one or pick one up on the secondary market. Models being released and only lasting minutes or hours show that Spyderco did something right and made something that everyone wants. Nice work Spyderco, hats off to you for creating a model that is moving quickly.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

crow2071 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:24 pm
In stock at Going Gear
https://goinggear.com/products/spyderco ... 8249206819
Thanks for the heads-up. Got one.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 pm
Well said, while I love Spyderco product and respect Sal, I actively dislike the way business is being conducted in this past year.
And by "the way business is being conducted" do you mean the high number of exclusives that sell out so quickly?
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

For those struggling to find one they are still showing in-stock at Going Gear (over an hour later).
Knife Center also appears to still be taking pre-orders.

Not sure I see the comparison to the Cruwear Shaman :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am glad that obviously so many want and get that Stretch version!

Looking forward to disucssions and reports on how people who never had one, like that model, especially its (for me and seemingly many others) amazing ergos. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Probably one of those I should've bought two of ... but will get another when and if available in a diff color and/or steel. I think the new blade shape will provide the broader market appeal its been needing. The sprint seems to be selling quite well despite not being an uber color or steel....

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:09 pm
Probably one of those I should've bought two of ... but will get another when and if available in a diff color and/or steel. I think the new blade shape will provide the broader market appeal its been needing. The sprint seems to be selling quite well despite not being an uber color or steel....

CG
Might be true, that the "funky" bladeshape of the original Stretch was for the most part what people held back from getting and trying one (and I´d assume very many of those who DID actually try a Stretch came to appreciate its very refined handle and design).

Still, I hope that the new, more "mainstream" (which is not a bad thing, don´t get me wrong) bladeshape won´t completely replace the old one (which I personally still prefer).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:42 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:09 pm

CG
Might be true, that the "funky" bladeshape of the original Stretch was for the most part what people held back from getting and trying one (and I´d assume very many of those who DID actually try a Stretch came to appreciate its very refined handle and design).

Still, I hope that the new, more "mainstream" (which is not a bad thing, don´t get me wrong) bladeshape won´t completely replace the old one (which I personally still prefer).
Yes, I'd like to see them co-exist. Seems like an easy way to offer different choices to the public without the company being committed and resources tied up on two entirely different knives. Kinda like the Delica and its variants including the Salt 2. One great design can go a long ways with only minor tweaking.... :)

CG
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Funny thing is, that none of the bigger European shops have this model. Not even as a coming soon model. Weird.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:04 am
Funny thing is, that none of the bigger European shops have this model. Not even as a coming soon model. Weird.
That's what I noticed too!! Just two or three small ones have, and probably one bigger general distributor...

Anyway, ordering from am US store will still be less expensive even when considering shipping and taxes.

For in Europe one has to pay around 160 USD (converted from Euro) for the Straighr Spine Stretch... (plus shipping of course)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received my SS Stretch today. I have to say I really like it. The color's not something I'd usually go for but it's different enough that it's a nice change of pace for me. I haven't compared it to my Stretch 1 yet but I'm happy with it regardless.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:24 am
I received my SS Stretch today. I have to say I really like it. The color's not something I'd usually go for but it's different enough that it's a nice change of pace for me. I haven't compared it to my Stretch 1 yet but I'm happy with it regardless.
Hope you´´ll share your thoughts on how it compares to the Stretch 1!

What I personally prefer in the "1": Longer cutting edge in a shorter closed package, "hook" at the end of the handle that really "brackets" the hand on the handle, shorter choil, so the hand is closer to the edge when you hold the knife on the actual handle

What I like better in the "2" (regular, not SS version which I don´t have yet): Maybe even better ergos, other than I miss the "hook" at the rear end of the handle, especially for big hands / with gloves, wider and deeper choil - again, better for wide fingers or with gloves, wider blade with no "step" between end of the choil and beginning of the actual edge
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Received mine last night, boys and gals what we have here is a straight up PM2 Killer. At the very least a serious rival!

Thank you National Knives super fast shipping!

Sal a suggestion if I may?

After carrying a custom Buck110 in 440C which has a pocket clip as can be seen in the community sharpening journal on this site I have discovered what I think would make an improvement in allot of Spyderco models.

Let’s see if I can explain this.

Most spyderco handles are well pretty much 2 dimensional in a way with some contouring. The effect is slimming but is like holding thin slabs in the hand.

Since we are experimenting with this model I have a suggestion.

How about introducing a bit of a Palm swell on the sides to fill out the hand, it would not take much or add too much width as the knifes handles is all ready so slim and narrow side to side the current handle ergonomics are already perfect in every other way.

I also think something like that would improve aesthetics but mainly I am going for a missing feeling of dimension in the hand.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mine will be here soon! Until then I will carry my first gen Endela. ;)

Before the Endela and before the SSStretch we had the "R" model. A knife that has never been loved enough. :) I look forward to comparing the two. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Mine arrived the other day. Thumbs up to National Knives for shipping out quickly and sending a really good sample of this knife (centered blade, grinds about equal along the edge and each side, and all else in good order). Really, really, really dig NK's filler packing material ... a bright yellow shop towel. This one I can use ... unlike that Kershaw fork/spoon combo another dealer included the other day and I've already forwarded to the Goodwill pile.

I can grip this knife using the choil or behind the choil and the knife remains very comfortable in the hand without the clip becoming a hot spot; something I really like about this knife (2nd gen stretch handle shape).

For now, I'm just going to admire it, and maybe someday I'll get around to using it! :p

CG