Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 am
Before the Endela and before the SSStretch we had the "R" model. A knife that has never been loved enough. :) I look forward to comparing the two. :D

I'll be looking forward to your opinion on that. For now, I'll just say that the "R" was one Spyderco I tried very hard to love.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

I received mine yesterday. So far I love it. It feels great in the hand and feels more “solid” than my other frn knives, of that makes any sense. I’m going to carry this exclusively for the next couple months and see how it performs. Initially, this is already one of my all time favorites. Kudos to you Spyderco!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 am
Really, really, really dig NK's filler packing material ... a bright yellow shop towel

CG
Haha I was going to ask if any of you other guys had your order wrapped in a bright yellow towel. I thought that was kind of odd but I can always use another garage towel. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Really, really, really dig NK's filler packing material ... a bright yellow shop towel

CG
Haha I was going to ask if any of you other guys had your order wrapped in a bright yellow towel. I thought that was kind of odd but I can always use another garage towel. :)
I have ordered from them and have a few towels. Interesting that you got yellow. My towels have all matched my knife color which I found interesting. I got a blue/gray with my Vtoku2 and an orange with my REX45 Para2. I guess hhey didn't have an off white or cream colored towel. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:17 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG
I have ordered from them and have a few towels. Interesting that you got yellow. My towels have all matched my knife color which I found interesting. I got a blue/gray with my Vtoku2 and an orange with my REX45 Para2. I guess hhey didn't have an off white or cream colored towel. :)
Hmm I've ordered from them before but don't remember getting a towel. It could be I just put it in my 5 gal pail that's full of garage towels and forgot about it
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Got one ordered from Cutlery Shoppe, hurray!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now this one is a real informative video when it comes to comparing the SS Stretch to PM2 and also Endela:

https://youtu.be/mr0LqNU7mOk

What is pointed out here and can be seen quite well:

- The almost exact same overal dimensions of SS Stretch, Endela and PM 2 (so in the FRN Seki line(Stretch / Endela) one can choose between choil/no choil, more handfilling / a bit slimmer and lighter, pointier tip / a bit reenforced tip)
- the thinner stock of the SS Stretch compared to the PM2
- seldom mentioned, but for me a noticeable difference: The long straight section in the Stretch edge vs the continous belly / curve of the PM 2 (also a tad more belly towards the tip on the Stretch)
- the a bit wider choil on the Stretch
- the a bit thinner handle of the Stretch

What is said, but NOT true just in my opinion:

- the ergos of PM2 and Stretch are not the same, but different. I personally prefer the Stretch ergos, it also has the FRN contouring of course.
- the grip area is not the same, but you get noticable more of it on the Stretch
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:33 am
https://youtu.be/mr0LqNU7mOk

I like that Seki City always lines up their lettering engraving perfectly, every time, while the PM2 is unfortunately catch as catch can.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 am
I like that Seki City always lines up their lettering engraving perfectly, every time, while the PM2 is unfortunately catch as catch can.
viewtopic.php?p=1259450#p1259450
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now actually available in Europe, and for "just" 120 Euro (around 132 USD) plus shipping - see link below
The few other European stores where it is still just on preorder, charge around 145 Euros (around 160 USD) as far as I can see

https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com ... 37454.html
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:02 pm
Got one ordered from Cutlery Shoppe, hurray!
Thanks for the heads up! I knew the Spydie forum wouldn't let me down!

I usually don't check CS so I probably wouldn't have discovered it without your post. Looks like a great knife and will be my first Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopefully this gets a Cruwear exclusive soon.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:52 am
Received mine last night, boys and gals what we have here is a straight up PM2 Killer. At the very least a serious rival!

Thank you National Knives super fast shipping!

Sal a suggestion if I may?

After carrying a custom Buck110 in 440C which has a pocket clip as can be seen in the community sharpening journal on this site I have discovered what I think would make an improvement in allot of Spyderco models.

Let’s see if I can explain this.

Most spyderco handles are well pretty much 2 dimensional in a way with some contouring. The effect is slimming but is like holding thin slabs in the hand.

Since we are experimenting with this model I have a suggestion.

How about introducing a bit of a Palm swell on the sides to fill out the hand, it would not take much or add too much width as the knifes handles is all ready so slim and narrow side to side the current handle ergonomics are already perfect in every other way.

I also think something like that would improve aesthetics but mainly I am going for a missing feeling of dimension in the hand.
Did you ever handle a D'allara 1? It had contouring like you're describing.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:17 pm
Hopefully this gets a Cruwear exclusive soon.
I will second that and ask for CPM S45VN as well.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I received an email from KnifeJoy that these were available, but by the time I found the email and visited the site they were already gone (now I have an Eagles song I cant get out of my head)....! :eek:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ok so I have been using the heck out of this knife and I have to say.... Hello Eric looks like Dad has surpassed your PM2 :)

My Goodness Sal I don't really know if you alone developed this or if Eric was involved, But I will say this much bring on the series with different steels and colors. I will buy each and every one. Promise!

The ergonomics of this handle are so superior to so many other models. But would prefer a deeper Choil like Erics design on the PM2 makes it easier to close one handed without missing and putting blade on finger.

Back Lock is superb but see this as a candidate for a stop lock as well.

The blade shape is only just perfect not too straight and not so rounded it slides off of things.

The SS Stretch is officially a new all time favorite Spyderco. I also have to back up a bit and say, you know what this blade length is just fine. Below are pictures of it next to My Buck 110 custom. This is not a little wimpy knife, it is a user and folks like Vivi should not worry about their huge hands missing a great purchase on this knife.

Did you guys do something different with the VG-10? Is it harder or something because after taking down a bunch of cardboard with it it is holding up better than my older stretches and is still slicey sharp.

Thanks for this model and I encourage forward development of it. Put this in Cruwear and make lots of them because this one is a seller would also like to see it in Super Blue, S45VN.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 pm
.....Hello Eric looks like Dad has surpassed your PM2....
The Paramilitary 2 is a variation of Sal's C81 Para-Military. Thus the reason both Sal & Eric's makers marks are on the blade
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Cool Father and Son = Awesome
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been pleasantly surprised by my VG10 Police LW. I always liked the steel but I swear this Police is holding an edge longer than my Police 3 did. Maybe they are running it a bit harder these days? Or maybe sharpening the two knives differently is the cause? I ran a polished, convexed edge on my P3, and so far I've been touching up the factory edge on my medium stone on the LW. I'll reprofile it someday.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm
I've been pleasantly surprised by my VG10 Police LW. I always liked the steel but I swear this Police is holding an edge longer than my Police 3 did. Maybe they are running it a bit harder these days? Or maybe sharpening the two knives differently is the cause? I ran a polished, convexed edge on my P3, and so far I've been touching up the factory edge on my medium stone on the LW. I'll reprofile it someday.
It is indeed curious I am planing to take down the secondary edge and primary edge Murray Carter style.

This SS-Stretch is a phenomenal slicer can’t wait to take Off the mass production secondary edge and really make it shine.