Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

Shoop wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:51 pm
Wartstein,

So close to getting you the info you requested! Will a British Racing Green FRN ZDP-189 Stretch 2 do?

Bob
That would be perfect and very kind!

All the FRN Stretch 2s have the same bladelength, regardless if VG10 or ZDP! (Except the Straight Spine Stretch,which obviously has a longer blade)

Just the G1 Stretch 2 is 3mm longer in the blade

I really just want to see and know how much less cutting edge the "regular" FRN Stretch 2 offers compared to the Ivory straight spine Stretch 2....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:48 pm
Added to my post above: May I ask once more: Can anyone post a comparison pic between the "regular" FRN Stretch 2 and the Ivory Straight spine model? I am especially interested in the difference in bladelength, edgelength and possibly amount of belly...
Hey Wartstein -

Here are a couple quick comparison shots I took this morning (sorry for the weird lighting).. I don't have a caliper or anything for exact measurements, but just eyeballing it, they are pretty similar. The SS may be just a touch larger..

I was also very pleasantly surprised by the similarity of curve of the belly on each knife. Maybe not exactly the same, but pretty close..

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Added to my post above: May I ask once more: Can anyone post a comparison pic between the "regular" FRN Stretch 2 and the Ivory Straight spine model? I am especially interested in the difference in bladelength, edgelength and possibly amount of belly...
Hey Wartstein -

Here are a couple quick comparison shots I took this morning (sorry for the weird lighting).. I don't have a caliper or anything for exact measurements, but just eyeballing it, they are pretty similar. The SS may be just a touch larger..

I was also very pleasantly surprised by the similarity of curve of the belly on each knife. Maybe not exactly the same, but pretty close..
Thanks a lot, that´s very kind! :)

If you just look at the actual cutting edges (not blades as a whole) : In your pics 1 and 3 the SS Stretch clearly seems to have a longer edge. In your pic 2 maybe even the "regular" Stretch 2...
As much as I love the Stretch 2, the actual edge of the Ivory SS one is already a bit short for my taste, if the edge of the "regular" Stretch 2 is even shorter, that´s not for me (and I seem to remember from the Stretch 2 I had once that indeed it IS shorter, for the Stretch 2 cutting edge was significantly shorter than the edge on my Stretch 1s, while the SS Stretch offers almost the same amount here..)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I still prefer this mod over the straight spine.

I think I might do my SE Stretch like that. It gives a more acute tip but retains some of the class that the original had.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 am

I think I might do my SE Stretch like that. It gives a more acute tip but retains some of the class that the original had.
I can see your pic just blurry...

I really like the original blade shape of the Stretch 1, in fact over any straighter spine and pointier tip! I also like the longer edge in a shorter package one gets with the "1" .
For me it are first and foremost the ergos that are even improved on the Stretch 2 over the Stretch 1. And if the SS version of the "2" indeed has more cutting edge than the regular Stretch 2, than I´d personally prefer it just for that reason, but not for the straight spine...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am
Evil D wrote:

I really like the original blade shape of the Stretch 1, in fact over any straighter spine and pointier tip! I also like the longer edge in a shorter package one gets with the "1" .
For me it are first and foremost the ergos that are even improved on the Stretch 2 over the Stretch 1. And if the SS version of the "2" indeed has more cutting edge than the regular Stretch 2, than I´d personally prefer it just for that reason, but not for the straight spine...

Hmm it's not my pic so maybe it has something to do with Photobucket hosting.

Is this any bettet?

I'm pretty sure this is the original post that image came from..
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40195
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am
Evil D wrote:

Hmm it's not my pic so maybe it has something to do with Photobucket hosting.

Is this any bettet?

I'm pretty sure this is the original post that image came from..
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40195
No, still blurry... but it´s still sharp enough to somewhat see what you mean!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Hey Wartstein -

If you just look at the actual cutting edges (not blades as a whole) : In your pics 1 and 3 the SS Stretch clearly seems to have a longer edge. In your pic 2 maybe even the "regular" Stretch 2...
As much as I love the Stretch 2, the actual edge of the Ivory SS one is already a bit short for my taste, if the edge of the "regular" Stretch 2 is even shorter, that´s not for me (and I seem to remember from the Stretch 2 I had once that indeed it IS shorter, for the Stretch 2 cutting edge was significantly shorter than the edge on my Stretch 1s, while the SS Stretch offers almost the same amount here..)
I think they are all pretty great knives, but my order of preference would be Stretch 1, Stretch 2 SS, Stretch 2. The Stretch 1 fits my hand so well that, in my opinion anyways, there was never any need to go messing with the design. Like you, I also appreciate that it incorporates a longer cutting edge into a slightly more compact overall package.
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Evil D wrote:

That is a really nice-looking blade profile.. I'd be interested to see pics if you ever do the mod! :)
Rick H.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Hey Wartstein -

I think they are all pretty great knives, but my order of preference would be Stretch 1, Stretch 2 SS, Stretch 2. The Stretch 1 fits my hand so well that, in my opinion anyways, there was never any need to go messing with the design. Like you, I also appreciate that it incorporates a longer cutting edge into a slightly more compact overall package.
The Stretch 1 also carries a bit deeper, has that "hook" at the end of the handle (which I like) and a bit pointier tip than the "regular" (NOT the SS!) Stretch 2.

On the other hand: While the ergos of the Stretch 1 are great, the Stretch 2 is even better in that regard, at least for somewhat bigger hands...
A Stretch 2, original blade shape, but blade filling all of the handle when closed (so offering more edge than even the Stretch 1) would be just perfect imho
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I´d have another request to you or others: Could you measure and compare the handlethickness between the sprint run Ivory SS Stretch 2 and the "regular" Stretch 2?

I can´t help, but the SS Stretch just feels better in hand than the "regular" Stretch 2 I once had. And somehow more handfilling. Could it be, that the FRN slabs are thicker on the SS Stretch?! At least they are thicker (and by that the whole handle) than on the Stretch 1...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:20 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

I´d have another request to you or others: Could you measure and compare the handlethickness between the sprint run Ivory SS Stretch 2 and the "regular" Stretch 2?

I can´t help, but the SS Stretch just feels better in hand than the "regular" Stretch 2 I once had. And somehow more handfilling. Could it be, that the FRN slabs are thicker on the SS Stretch?! At least they are thicker (and by that the whole handle) than on the Stretch 1...
I said this when I got mine but Im positive the thumb ramp is ever so slightly different on the straight spine stretch. Barely, but I swear I can feel a difference in the sabre grip.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:33 am
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Hey Wartstein -

The Stretch 1 also carries a bit deeper, has that "hook" at the end of the handle (which I like) and a bit pointier tip than the "regular" (NOT the SS!) Stretch 2.

On the other hand: While the ergos of the Stretch 1 are great, the Stretch 2 is even better in that regard, at least for somewhat bigger hands...
A Stretch 2, original blade shape, but blade filling all of the handle when closed (so offering more edge than even the Stretch 1) would be just perfect imho
I do like the blade shape better too, but the "hook" is what I love about the Stretch 1.. fits my hand just right and really locks in the grip. I think the Stretch 2 ergos are great as well, but I miss the hook! I agree with you on the more handle-filling, longer blade for the S2.. that would be nice!
Rick H.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:20 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I said this when I got mine but Im positive the thumb ramp is ever so slightly different on the straight spine stretch. Barely, but I swear I can feel a difference in the sabre grip.
Don´t have a "regular" Stretch 2 anymore to compare it to my stright spine Stretch 2... but I really think the latter has thicker scales (and a thicker overall handle) - can anyone, who has both, confirm that by measuring the thicknes of the handles?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I dont have calipers because Im a terrible person whose solution to close measurements is to grab a bigger hammer. But I will see if I can see a difference.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:17 pm
I dont have calipers because Im a terrible person whose solution to close measurements is to grab a bigger hammer. But I will see if I can see a difference.

:p Thanks! Maybe a simple ruler would do?!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Im pretty sure they are the same thickness. Because of how the ivory color catches the light I think it can look bigger or thicker. Someone with calipers can verify this and it was really hard to tell with a measuring tape. But when I put them back to back and butt to butt on a level surface the handle thickness looked the same. This would also make sense to me considering frn handles come from a mold, and I would bet all the stretch 2 molds are the same.

On the other hand I am certain there is a slight difference in the thumb ramp, and I like the straight spine version better.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Hey Wartstein -

Geez there is so much of that Vtoku2 stretch sharpened away at the factory that it hurts my heart to look at. Just look at the heel of the edge where it meets the choil. A good 1/16th of steel ground away from that whole edge, heel to tip.

I wish spyderco would get on managing this. I see this across the whole line. Some blades get WAY too much steel ground away at the factory.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Does anyone know if this straight spine stretch is going to be a production piece? I’m not super fond of the white, but I’d buy one a few of these in a heartbeat if they were regular production.

ZDP and green?
K390 and any color at all?
VG10 ?

I’d love to see this become regular production.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Im pretty sure they are the same thickness. Because of how the ivory color catches the light I think it can look bigger or thicker. Someone with calipers can verify this and it was really hard to tell with a measuring tape. But when I put them back to back and butt to butt on a level surface the handle thickness looked the same. This would also make sense to me considering frn handles come from a mold, and I would bet all the stretch 2 molds are the same.

On the other hand I am certain there is a slight difference in the thumb ramp, and I like the straight spine version better.

Thanks!! That sounds very reasonable of course.

The main reason why I was asking: I still just can´t believe how I could have missed how much even better the ergos of the Stretch 2 are than the already great ones of the Stretch 1 when I had a Stretch 2 some time ago...
I sold the Stretch 2 eventually, but kept four Stretch 1s, cause I thought the ergos of the two models were pretty much the same, and the Stretch 1 has some advantages over the "2" (more edge, shorter closed package and so on).

Now having the SS Ivory Stretch (with a Stretch 2 handle of course), I suddenly find its ergos to be clearly improved over the Stretch 1, at least for my L to XL hands... (and I figure for most handsizes bigger than really small). And that - again - despite the Stretch 1 already has great ergos!

What is true as far as I can see (have to look for my calipers to confirm): The Ivory Stretch has a thicker handle than the Stretch 1 (and that´s a plus)