Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by steelcity16 »

Just grabbed one from knivesplus. Looks like they are still in stock.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 pm
Ok so I have been using the heck out of this knife and I have to say.... Hello Eric looks like Dad has surpassed your PM2 :)

My Goodness Sal I don't really know if you alone developed this or if Eric was involved, But I will say this much bring on the series with different steels and colors. I will buy each and every one. Promise!

The ergonomics of this handle are so superior to so many other models. But would prefer a deeper Choil like Erics design on the PM2 makes it easier to close one handed without missing and putting blade on finger.

Back Lock is superb but see this as a candidate for a stop lock as well.

The blade shape is only just perfect not too straight and not so rounded it slides off of things.

The SS Stretch is officially a new all time favorite Spyderco. I also have to back up a bit and say, you know what this blade length is just fine. Below are pictures of it next to My Buck 110 custom. This is not a little wimpy knife, it is a user and folks like Vivi should not worry about their huge hands missing a great purchase on this knife.

Did you guys do something different with the VG-10? Is it harder or something because after taking down a bunch of cardboard with it it is holding up better than my older stretches and is still slicey sharp.

- I know (and you actually said it in your post) that you have or had Stretches before this straight spined version, so you knew already about the amazing ergos of this knife (cause only the "spine-line" has changed).
But still what you write could be what I hope that some people will experience and realize when they now get their first Stretch, motivated by the new, more "conventional" and really cool looking blade shape.. :)

- And you somewhat opened my eyes when you wrote (quote): "The blade shape is only just perfect not too straight and not so rounded it slides off of things". I stated several times already, that I somehow prefer the long straight section in the edge of the Stretch over the countinous belly/curve of the PM2, and that the difference is noticable. Could never tell WHY exactly though. Now I think probably what you´re describing ("not so rounded it slides off of things") could be the very reason!

- How is the tip on the SS Stretch compared to the PM2? Just from depictions (see pic below)it looks very slightly more robust, due to the a bit steeper belly towards the tip (on the other hand the blades are seemingly of the same height at the "hump", but the tapering starts at 3mm on the Stretch compared the 3.7mm stock on the PM2, so just in theory and by geometry that should make the PM2 tip a bit stronger (but really just in theory,I guess)

- Do you really feel the choil of the Stretch 2 is "deeper"than on the PM2? I don´t have a Stretch 2 anymore, so I can´t compare it to the PM2,but I the choil of the Stretch 2 certainly is a tad wider (and extending a bit more in the blade), while being about the same in depth?
Paul, for illustration I may post your pic from page two of this thread once more:

/ And I think when Sal began to develop the Stretch or its predecessors, Eric was still a baby... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:41 am
Just grabbed one from knivesplus. Looks like they are still in stock.

Congrats! Hope you´ll report back how you like it!
Can´t wait till mine arrives. :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm
I've been pleasantly surprised by my VG10 Police LW. I always liked the steel but I swear this Police is holding an edge longer than my Police 3 did. Maybe they are running it a bit harder these days? Or maybe sharpening the two knives differently is the cause? I ran a polished, convexed edge on my P3, and so far I've been touching up the factory edge on my medium stone on the LW. I'll reprofile it someday.
That´s interesting!

My newest VG10 knife, the Endela SE, definitely holds an edge longer than I am used to with all my other VG10 knives, but I sure contributed that to the serrated (as opposed to plain) edge.
Courious if that will be the same on the plain edge straight spine Stretch that I ordered.
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

Snagged one from KnifeWorks last night! Looking forward to checking out this straight spine! Like the Stretch ergos, was just never a huge fan of the original blade shape.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Oh sorry I have given the wrong impression I meant that I prefer the 50/50 choil of the PM2 it is deeper and safer for one hand closing.

You know another knife that my hand loves is the Manix XL that handle just fits me and locks right in.

Last night I was doing cut tests with 3 knives the Manix XL the SS Stretch and the Buck110 custom the Stretch is still in its factory blade.

The other two I sharpened on water stones. All 3 are amazing cutters. I can certainly tell a difference between the 3 steels S30V is by far the most toothy.

Yes the straight portion of the blade has a very slight recurved to it which assists with draw cuts before the belly towards the tip.

As far as blade stock and tip go I just compared it to my PM2 Cruwear and I can’t tell the difference.

I also placed them spine to spine in other words back to back and they are identical in length and spine angle.

The PM2 absolutely does not come any where near feeling as good in the hand. I also prefer the back lock.

This is the death of the PM2.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 am
Snagged one from KnifeWorks last night! Looking forward to checking out this straight spine! Like the Stretch ergos, was just never a huge fan of the original blade shape.
:D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Lodestar

Post by Lodestar »

What a great knife Sal!

I always meant to get around to the stretch, but those sprints and new releases get in the way. This one finally got it in my hands. Always seemed in comments like Sal wished more people would give the stretch a chance in the previously vacant Endela niche, I see why.

I like the feel in hand, the look, overall impresses me beyond my expectation. It really does call heavy on the PM2 lightweight vibe with the straight spine. The curve profile of the edge and ergos are a bit different, I'm sure there is plenty of discussion on that elsewhere.

The color was a concern. In images seemed rather, Blah, just okay, wish it was something else. In person it is really pleasing. Definitely surprised. It is a fair bit lighter than some of the ads, and pics, show. That light color gives a kindof subtle flashiness compared to the normal darker colors. Looks cool with the frn shadows. Due to lightness, should take well to most RIT dye colors if you don't like it.

This thread is rather amusing, for a knife that has pretty much been here all along, the hype that people (myself included) are feeling, a 'Whoa! a great PM2 or PM2 LW alternative/killer' vibe. For practical use, the normal stretch 2 is pretty much the same.

Anyway, sprint run away please, I will take one.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Ordered one last night from knife works. Looks like a nice piece.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

DLT has them right now 11:43 AM Eastern time.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-str ... 5hR0E2jroY
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I ordered one from knivesplus last night and just got the shipping info :D

The FRN Stretch is my favorite knife. I'm excited for the sprint, it's an interesting evolution; straight spine pulls the aesthetic together quite a bit and makes for a more handsome blade in my opinion. The Ivory color also looks much better in user pics than the stock image.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I would like to take a moment and apologize to whomever fails to obtain one of these knives due to me.

I would also like to confirm to those waiting for their delivery that you have every right to be excited!

After posting availability in all fairness I did wait a few hours before pulling the trigger on buying my second one of these.

Yes it is just that darn good :)

Better get one while the getting is good I read only 1200 were made and that is not allot for worldwide distribution.

I did consider waiting and just getting what comes after this but A. There is no guarantee there will be something after this and B. It might be a long time before something comes along and this is totally back up worthy as this will be a daily user.

Now ready to sell my remaining PM2’s yes even includes my cruwear PM2.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:27 pm
I would like to take a moment and apologize to whomever fails to obtain one of these knives due to me.

I would also like to confirm to those waiting for their delivery that you have every right to be excited!

After posting availability in all fairness I did wait a few hours before pulling the trigger on buying my second one of these.

Better get one while the getting is good I read only 1200 were made and that is not allot for worldwide distribution.

I did consider waiting and just getting what comes after this but A. There is no guarantee there will be something after this and B. It might be a long time before something comes along and this is totally back up worthy as this will be a daily user.

There will be other versions in uber colors and uber steels. No need to apaologize.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:07 am
Oh sorry I have given the wrong impression I meant that I prefer the 50/50 choil of the PM2 it is deeper and safer for one hand closing.

You know another knife that my hand loves is the Manix XL that handle just fits me and locks right in.

Last night I was doing cut tests with 3 knives the Manix XL the SS Stretch and the Buck110 custom the Stretch is still in its factory blade.

The other two I sharpened on water stones. All 3 are amazing cutters. I can certainly tell a difference between the 3 steels S30V is by far the most toothy.

Yes the straight portion of the blade has a very slight recurved to it which assists with draw cuts before the belly towards the tip.

As far as blade stock and tip go I just compared it to my PM2 Cruwear and I can’t tell the difference.

I also placed them spine to spine in other words back to back and they are identical in length and spine angle.

The PM2 absolutely does not come any where near feeling as good in the hand. I also prefer the back lock.

This is the death of the PM2.
Thanks for your reply and the tip comparison!

And I am totally with you in that the PM 2 just can´t compete with the Stretch, concerning ergos,lock and slicing capability (though of course especially lock type, but also ergos are things of personal preference)

If this straight spine version sticks around (and will not only be limited to the current sprint), and when there will be a PM2 LW, together with the Endela we´ll really have three FRN.knife choices in almost the exact same dimensions. A good thing of course, but also a lot of Spyderco intern "competition"...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For Europeans: Still in stock at coutellerie-tourangelle.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:27 pm

On the contrary Does, I think you are just doing double duty in helping justify further sprints. Bring on the hap40!
Too bad it’s a Japan model. Cruwear, xhp, and m4 exclusives would have been nice.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Still in stock at knivesplus. I got one. I figured my regular stretch needs a brother. Plus it will keep me happy until the police 4 lightweight gets other steel options.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 am
Hey, I recognize your handle! Big fan of the Stretch myself, ordered a straight spine also. Still have a superblue in my collection, have given both the ZDP and original black FRN VG10 as gifts — great knives! Looking forward to this Stretch 2 to compare; looks like a winner.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im wondering if ivory frn will be as rare as white frn.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."