Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Pancake » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm
Hmm, Cru-Wear or HAP 40 would be awesome.
As would be SE... :rolleyes: (Fine in VG10)
You really like FFG SE, don't you?
Right now I want to add a sprint run to my collection...but I am waiting for some nicer steel.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3694
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:41 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:35 pm
Im wondering if ivory frn will be as rare as white frn.

Considering that there were three simultaneous Sprint Runs (Delica, Endura, and Dragonfly) in white FRN, plus the original "commissioned run" white FRN Rescue, and there may also have been a white FRN Ladybug (possibly a JDM item), ivory probably will be rarer unless Spyderco uses it for other models.

I'd like to see some dealer hop on the Seki Cruwear bandwagon and do a run of Cruwear Delicas, Dflys, Enduras, Jesters, Endelas, Straight Spine Stretches, and Police LWs in White FRN with TiCN coated blades!
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm
Hmm, Cru-Wear or HAP 40 would be awesome.
As would be SE... :rolleyes: (Fine in VG10)
You really like FFG SE, don't you?
Right now I want to add a sprint run to my collection...but I am waiting for some nicer steel.
Oh don't let VG-10 fool you I have been working with this knife allot sharpening it, thinning it out with all types of abrasives etc.. and I do not know what they did with the VG10 in this batch but it is much harder than in my older stretches.

I first realized this by how long it held a sharp blade after taking down a bunch of cardboard.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:59 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm
Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm
Hmm, Cru-Wear or HAP 40 would be awesome.
As would be SE... :rolleyes: (Fine in VG10)
You really like FFG SE, don't you?
Right now I want to add a sprint run to my collection...but I am waiting for some nicer steel.
Oh don't let VG-10 fool you I have been working with this knife allot sharpening it, thinning it out with all types of abrasives etc.. and I do not know what they did with the VG10 in this batch but it is much harder than in my older stretches.

I first realized this by how long it held a sharp blade after taking down a bunch of cardboard.

Can´t wait till mine arrives and I can compare it steelwise ("VG 10-wise") to my VG 10 Stretch 1s...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

cycleguy
Member
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm
Location: Arvada, coloRADo

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby cycleguy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Back in stock at DLT

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!

DTPrime
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:32 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby DTPrime » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Got mine yesterday and it is awesome in hand. It's my first Stretch and the ergos are great, also compared to the Delica and even the Native the FRN is incredibly grippy in the larger scales. The backlock action on it is great too, big fan all around and hope to see more variants in this style soon!

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:58 pm

DTPrime wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Got mine yesterday and it is awesome in hand. It's my first Stretch and the ergos are great, also compared to the Delica and even the Native the FRN is incredibly grippy in the larger scales. The backlock action on it is great too, big fan all around and hope to see more variants in this style soon!
So glad to see that this straight spine model finally really seems to bring more people to experience the great design of the Stretch! :)

I am just one amongst several others who constantly (and maybe for some already annoyingly... ;) )tried to encourage to just get a Stretch in hand. As far as I can see, when people really feel in hand what this design and ergos are all about, not too many don´t like it... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby VooDooChild » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Accidentally posted something for another thread on this one. Anyway try and say straight spine stretch sprint 5 times fast.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:45 pm

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:06 pm
Accidentally posted something for another thread on this one. Anyway try and say straight spine stretch sprint 5 times fast.
:p :p Can´t pull it off, honestly!
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
anycal
Member
Posts: 1525
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: California

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby anycal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Got it today. It is a nice enough knife, but it will not replace a PM2 for me. Weight and size are virtually the same. And although the blade stock is thicker on the PM2, they are the same behind the edge. I don't care that much about performance on a knife like this; just an observation.

Little bit of criticism, but it is what it is. Fit/finish and action were not the greatest. Probably the most uneven bevels of any of my Seki knives. One of the washers was pinched, so for the blade to drop, the pivot had to be loosened up to where there was too much blade play. I fixed the washer, and the action is much better now. It think the washers are the same size as the Delica - small and very thin. Not a problem, but for a knife this size I thought they would be more robust. To be fair, I had to massage couple of my PM2s, but at least the washers are bigger and thicker.

The size is a sweet spot for me, so I will keep it and use it. But not planning on getting any more.
Peter

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 am

anycal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 pm
Got it today. It is a nice enough knife, but it will not replace a PM2 for me. Weight and size are virtually the same. And although the blade stock is thicker on the PM2, they are the same behind the edge. I don't care that much about performance on a knife like this; just an observation.

Little bit of criticism, but it is what it is. Fit/finish and action were not the greatest. Probably the most uneven bevels of any of my Seki knives. One of the washers was pinched, so for the blade to drop, the pivot had to be loosened up to where there was too much blade play. I fixed the washer, and the action is much better now. It think the washers are the same size as the Delica - small and very thin. Not a problem, but for a knife this size I thought they would be more robust. To be fair, I had to massage couple of my PM2s, but at least the washers are bigger and thicker.

The size is a sweet spot for me, so I will keep it and use it. But not planning on getting any more.
Do you happen to know what size the washers of the Endura (or Endela) have, resp. if they are larger and thicker than on Delica and seemingly the Stretch? Sure I could have a look myself, for I own all of these models, but I don´t like to disassemble my Seki FRN knives if I don´t have to, but maybe you did also do this to an Endura and can remember.

If the Endura has the same (small and thin) washers (which I don´t know), I would not consider the washer size on the Stretch a problem: My Enduras see a lot of also harder use, and a lot of opening and closing, non developed any problem whatsoever.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25290
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby The Deacon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 am

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 am

Do you happen to know what size the washers of the Endura (or Endela) have, resp. if they are larger and thicker than on Delica and seemingly the Stretch? Sure I could have a look myself, for I own all of these models, but I don´t like to disassemble my Seki FRN knives if I don´t have to, but maybe you did also do this to an Endura and can remember.

If the Endura has the same (small and thin) washers (which I don´t know), I would not consider the washer size on the Stretch a problem: My Enduras see a lot of also harder use, and a lot of opening and closing, non developed any problem whatsoever.

I suspect the washers are the same diameter and thickness on all the screw construction lined FRN midlocks made by G Sakai. I think if they made them thicker they'd run into issues with gaps between the blade and frame and with lockbar fit. Keeping them all the same would also simplify inventory and reduce the risk of the wrong washer being used on a given knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 am

Just received my straight spine Stretch! :)

Very excited, but have to go to work now, so just some first impressions:

- Fit and finish: Other than it was with two members who posted here, mine is just perfect. Flawlessly put together, no blade play, good action, just barely not free dropping blade (which I don´t want anyway), totally even bevels, shaving sharp as usual out of the box.

- Ergos: Did not have a Stretch 2 in quite a long time, just several Stretch 1. I love the ergos of the "1", but had almost forgotten, that the "2" (and by that the SS Stretch) is even better in that regard. More handfilling (especially noticeable in the index-/middlefinger groove), better choil; What I still miss a bit is the "hook" at the end of the handle (the "1" has that), but then the "hookless" shape of the SS Stretch offers more space for larger hands.
And the pocket clip placement is slightly more comfortable in the "1" when the knife is held, for my particular hand size (not a real issue at all though)
The Stretch 1 also carries a bit deeper than the Stretch 2.

- Blade: I am pretty sure that the blade of the Straight Spine Stretch 2 is just a tad longer and offers a bit more edge than the "regular" Stretch 2... Don´t have the latter anymore,so I can´t verify that, maybe one of you can?
The tip seems to be a bit more robust than on a PM2, cause the belly towards the tip is a bit "steeper" on the Stretch and makes the angle a bit more obtuse by that.

- "Feel": This knife feels great in hand, rather solid and "heavy" in a good way (definitely heavier and more substantial than the Stretch 1)
I am not particullary fond of fingerchoils, but IF a knife has one I use it a lot, and this choil feels perfect. I think I´ll hold the knife choked up 80% of the time (despite the regular grip also being,well, just "stretch-ish" amazing ;) )

- Color: Unique and ok. I would have liked it to be a bit more brown (mine looks almost white), but it is cool somehow

- Conclusion: Like it even more than I thought. I figured I´d just get it, use it for some time and sell it again, for I decided a long time ago that I like the Stretch 1 slightly better than the Stretch 2. Not so sure anymore... Feels more like a keeper right now... :o

If this knife would have a blade as long as possible (so filling all of the handle when closed), it would be even more perfect for my preferences (blade could be almost 3.8" inches I guess, instead of "just" almost 3.5 " now, and could offer an actual cutting edge of 3.3 ".)

For me personally the "better PM2", but of course that is based on my personal preferences "backlock over comp lock", "FRN over G10 "and "thinner stock over thicker".

- Recommendation: Get one, if you can... :D
Seriously: I think at least anyone who either likes the general PM2 dimensions and - shape or Seki FRN knives in general should give the SS Stretch a try.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:31 am

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 am

Do you happen to know what size the washers of the Endura (or Endela) have, resp. if they are larger and thicker than on Delica and seemingly the Stretch? Sure I could have a look myself, for I own all of these models, but I don´t like to disassemble my Seki FRN knives if I don´t have to, but maybe you did also do this to an Endura and can remember.

If the Endura has the same (small and thin) washers (which I don´t know), I would not consider the washer size on the Stretch a problem: My Enduras see a lot of also harder use, and a lot of opening and closing, non developed any problem whatsoever.

I suspect the washers are the same diameter and thickness on all the screw construction lined FRN midlocks made by G Sakai. I think if they made them thicker they'd run into issues with gaps between the blade and frame and with lockbar fit. Keeping them all the same would also simplify inventory and reduce the risk of the wrong washer being used on a given knife.
Thanks for the insight, seems plausible!
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 am

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 am
Just received my straight spine Stretch! :)

Very excited, but have to go to work now, so just some first impressions:

- Fit and finish: Other than it was with two members who posted here, mine is just perfect. Flawlessly put together, no blade play, good action, just barely not free dropping blade (which I don´t want anyway), totally even bevels, shaving sharp as usual out of the box.

- Ergos: Did not have a Stretch 2 in quite a long time, just several Stretch 1. I love the ergos of the "1", but had almost forgotten, that the "2" (and by that the SS Stretch) is even better in that regard. More handfilling (especially noticeable in the index-/middlefinger groove), better choil; What I still miss a bit is the "hook" at the end of the handle (the "1" has that), but then the "hookless" shape of the SS Stretch offers more space for larger hands.
And the pocket clip placement is slightly more comfortable in the "1" when the knife is held, for my particular hand size (not a real issue at all though)
The Stretch 1 also carries a bit deeper than the Stretch 2.

- Blade: I am pretty sure that the blade of the Straight Spine Stretch 2 is just a tad longer and offers a bit more edge than the "regular" Stretch 2... Don´t have the latter anymore,so I can´t verify that, maybe one of you can?
The tip seems to be a bit more robust than on a PM2, cause the belly towards the tip is a bit "steeper" on the Stretch and makes the angle a bit more obtuse by that.

- "Feel": This knife feels great in hand, rather solid and "heavy" in a good way (definitely heavier and more substantial than the Stretch 1)
I am not particullary fond of fingerchoils, but IF a knife has one I use it a lot, and this choil feels perfect. I think I´ll hold the knife choked up 80% of the time (despite the regular grip also being,well, just "stretch-ish" amazing ;) )

- Color: Unique and ok. I would have liked it to be a bit more brown (mine looks almost white), but it is cool somehow

- Conclusion: Like it even more than I thought. I figured I´d just get it, use it for some time and sell it again, for I decided a long time ago that I like the Stretch 1 slightly better than the Stretch 2. Not so sure anymore... Feels more like a keeper right now... :o

If this knife would have a blade as long as possible (so filling all of the handle when closed), it would be even more perfect for my preferences (blade could be almost 3.8" inches I guess, instead of "just" almost 3.5 " now, and could offer an actual cutting edge of 3.3 ".)

For me personally the "better PM2", but of course that is based on my personal preferences "backlock over comp lock", "FRN over G10 "and "thinner stock over thicker".

- Recommendation: Get one, if you can... :D
Seriously: I think at least anyone who either likes the general PM2 dimensions and - shape or Seki FRN knives in general should give the SS Stretch a try.
+1

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 am

When I get home tonight I’ll do a comparison between the Stretch2 and the SS Stretch take some pictures of a 1,2 and SS if someone does not by the time I can get to it.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 5992
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby Wartstein » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 am

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 am
When I get home tonight I’ll do a comparison between the Stretch2 and the SS Stretch take some pictures of a 1,2 and SS if someone does not by the time I can get to it.
That would be very kind! I only have several Stretch 1 and now the SS version of the Stretch 2 (sold the "regular" "2")
Other than the Spyderco site, the Spydie Wiki confirms that the blade and edge of the SS Stretch 2 are a bit longer than on the "regular". Maybe your pics would show that too...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

acer
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 am

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby acer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:37 am

Mine arrived today, well happy , very impressed . I am just limbering up before I move into the full STRETCH wok out followed by a quick Sprint😁Living the dream going for gold, well chuffed . A real winner . In.

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3265
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby wrdwrght » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 pm

I now regard the straight-spine Stretch as the FRN PM2 midlock or FRN 4-way Lil’ Military midlock I didn’t know I needed.

But slicier...

For later versions (cough, cough), I’d rather the steels be Japanese, but unlaminated. In carbon, why not Shirogami-1 at 64HRC or Aogami-Super at 65HRC? In stainless, why not Ginsan-ko at 62HRC? Why not? Probably cost, even before recent tariffs.

And while I see weight- and cost-reduction as driving forces in the maturation of Spyderco models, I now suspect the straight-spine—really a modified drop-point—reduces no more weight than the Stretch’s standard modified drop-point. Line up the two blades and see if you don’t agree.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INBOUND: Ulize; CF Dodo. ON RADAR: S90V Chief sprint-run; Schempp Bowie. IN DREAMS: LC200N Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Nitro-V Chief; CF Schempp Balance; LC200N Massad Ayoob (PE; G10); LC200N Breeden Captain (SE on recurve); Tusk (SE; G10).

#86452020

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25290
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Postby The Deacon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm

In my opinion, if there's a difference in blade length between the straight spine and regular Stretch 2, it's very, very small. I'd put it at under 1mm, or somewhere around 1/64th of an inch, at most. Same goes for edge length.

As for the "wasted" space in the handle. That was the price that had to be paid to address complaints from some that the Stretch handle was cramped, while keeping the blade legal where Sal lives, not to metion everywhere else with a 3.5" limit.

Would I, personally, have preferred Spyderco to go in the opposite direction and return to the handle size of the original "1st generation" stainless/Kraton handled version, or even just retain the "2nd Generation" CF/FRN/NG version's handle, sure. Does the Stretch 2's "3rd generation" handle bother me, it did at first, but hasn't for quite a while since it still fits nicely in my back pocket. My textured black palm Stretch 2 has been one of the four I carry most often along with the bolstered, textured cocobolo, and lignum vitae ones and I currently have a set of textured desert ironwood scales on order to put on one of my straight spine Sorints.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abbazaba, Bing [Bot], Dazen, jpm2, Radetzky, steelcity16, The Meat man, Woodpuppy and 36 guests