Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What say you, Spyderpeople, do you love the Caribbean's scales, or do you hate them?

I love them!
35%
I hate them.
65%

Total votes: 72

mayong

Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Post by mayong »

Cilantro. Crocs. The Dallas Cowboys. French fries and mayo. Boondock Saints. The Caribbean's scales.

Either you love them, or you hate them -- there is no middle ground. Which is it?!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
steelcity16

Re: Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Post by steelcity16 »

Hate. I'd own at least one Carribean if it was your standard peel ply ungrooved G10. There is a fantastic semi-translucent day-glow yellow G10 that would have been amazing! :(
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like ‘em.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like how they look.
I dont mind how they feel.
I think they are very flawed in one particular aspect, specifically left/right traction. Which I think makes them pair terribly with a compression lock and I think is the biggest flaw of the knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 am
I like how they look.
I think they are very flawed in one particular aspect, specifically left/right traction. Which I think makes them pair terribly with a compression lock and I think is the biggest flaw of the knife.
Doesn't sound like you've used one. The Caribbean has some of the grippiest scales Spyderco makes, In all directions. Truly the best pattern Spyderco makes.

I love them. I'm trying to get a set made in CF that retains the same grip pattern, but I can't find anyone that is man enough to....
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sumdumguy wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 am
I like how they look.
Doesn't sound like you've used one. The Caribbean has some of the grippiest scales Spyderco makes, In all directions. Truly the best pattern Spyderco makes.

I love them. I'm trying to get a set made in CF that retains the same grip pattern, but I can't find anyone that is man enough to....
Ive got one. Ive used it plenty. We might just have to agree to disagree on this one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Love the scales, love the steel and construction, don't like the lock. Sadly, no more detent lock for me......but maybe I could make a exception with it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 am
Love the scales, love the steel and construction, don't like the lock. Sadly, no more detent lock for me......but maybe I could make a exception with it.

Maybe this poll I started once is for you...;) (link below)

viewtopic.php?t=84657
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve never handled one, but none of my issues with the scales require hands on.

i’m not a fan of the bumble bee look, but i can get past that.

i don’t like the shape of the pattern. i wish spyderco had gone with concentric circles like their frn texturing instead of the awkward looking pads in the middle with arcs moving out from the center. i think you lose some of the directional texturing by using this pattern.

finally, i don’t like the pronounced hook at the end of the grip. i prefer the way the manix 2 tapers at the end to give more access to the pocket in tip up carry. the wide end of the handle is unnecessary and the hooks never sit nicely against the back of a pocket.

all that said, i don’t hate them. i wish spyderco would change the things i listed, but they aren’t really dealbreakers for me. the handle shape is close though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 am
That's the one and only reason I don't own, and likely EDC a Caribbean. Fantastic design.

As for the scales, I love everything about them except the color. Very ergonomic and grippy.

Hasn't been a day in my life I've ever desired a yellow knife, whether its a Case Trapper or a Spyderco Salt. But on a Spyderco it's an easy fix with $5 of dye and a spare half hour of time.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Probably the only reason I don't own one. I see anyone that has one, raves about the knife. But I honestly just can't get past those scales.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 am
Probably the only reason I don't own one. I see anyone that has one, raves about the knife. But I honestly just can't get past those scales.
Have you ever tried RIT dye? It's pretty simple to use. I've done fixed blade scales, folder scales, and even a sheath.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I like the Caribbean's scales. They feel good in my hand and I even like the bumblebee look.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I actually agree with leaving the pattern of the scales the same. Having the beautiful weave of the carbon fiber exposed with the same cuts as before and still leaving the peel-ply texture on top for grip. I can’t think of a better way to showcase the carbon fiber and it will sort of look fluted as well. IMO, this with the sheepsfoots blade may just be The One for me that knocks every other knife out of my pocket!
I’ve been advocating for a peel-ply CF sprint for some time now. I can’t say that love or hate them, I love the design just hate the color. My wife on the other hand thinks it’s the best looking Spyderco.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love the machine work, don't love the color. I dyed both of mine and they look much better.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have been tempted, but was put off not by the scales, but by the reports of a weak detent.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 am
Love the machine work, don't love the color. I dyed both of mine and they look much better.

This is the best blade shape of all the Caribbeans! I'm going to have to get a sheepsfoot and grind it down too...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Evil D wrote:
This is the best blade shape of all the Caribbeans! I'm going to have to get a sheepsfoot and grind it down too...

I know, right? The way Dave did that makes that knife so freakin’ cool. Love the blade shape. If it was a back lock, I’d copy.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:34 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Evil D wrote:

I know, right? The way Dave did that makes that knife so freakin’ cool. Love the blade shape. If it was a back lock, I’d copy.
If that was a backlock it'd be one of my main EDC's. The ergos are great and I love the FFG LC200N blade.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:39 pm
If that was a backlock it'd be one of my main EDC's. The ergos are great and I love the FFG LC200N blade.

We can dream, bro. Sal, please make us a back lock. :o
- best wishes, Jazz.