Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What say you, Spyderpeople, do you love the Caribbean's scales, or do you hate them?

I love them!
35%
I hate them.
65%

Total votes: 72

Enactive

Re: Caribbean Scales: Love, or Hate?

Post by Enactive »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:39 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm
I haven't had a chance to handle one. I suspect if I get one I would reduce the hook at the butt of the handle.
this is my only substantial beef with this knife. if it had a similar design as the manix 2 at the butt of the handle, i would buy a pe leaf and se sheepsfoot immediately and they would probably dethrone my manix and pacific salt as my favorite knives.
I know the liner limits how much can be neatly removed. The Manix butt is so much narrower, so I don't think you could match it without doing a hack job.

At some point you'll also run the risk of exposing the tip of the blade when closed.

Indeed.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Enactive wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:07 pm
I haven't had a chance to handle one. I suspect if I get one I would reduce the hook at the butt of the handle.
this is my only substantial beef with this knife. if it had a similar design as the manix 2 at the butt of the handle, i would buy a pe leaf and se sheepsfoot immediately and they would probably dethrone my manix and pacific salt as my favorite knives.
I know the liner limits how much can be neatly removed. The Manix butt is so much narrower, so I don't think you could match it without doing a hack job.
it will never be the same as the manix, but the liners leave a lot of room for shaving down the hook. evil d pointed this out to me in a post somewhere, but i can’t seem to find it. if you look at his first picture in this thread, you can see what i’m talking about. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83276

i’d be interested in how far we could go while still being safe from the tip of the blade. and maybe it would matter less with a sheepsfoot?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t necessarily love the look of the Caribbean’s scales, I don’t mind them either, and IMO they are among the most comfortable Spyderco handle scales, second only to the G10 Manix 2, in terms of comfort in hand. The Caribbean scales are 100% function-based and almost 0% aesthetics-oriented. I really love how solidly it clips to the pocket, yet is so smooth to pull out of pocket.

Jim
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Admittedly I didn’t love the look when first revealed, despite being a fan of black and yellow color schemes. But once I got one in hand I immediately grokked the smooth yet tactile grip and the layered G10 construction and milling. I’m a fan now, yeah.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

mayong wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 am
Yours and Evil's look awesome. I've been avoiding the Caribbean solely because the colors are too loud. I like a subtle knife. Ergos 10/10, bumblebee coloring 2/10.
Thanks. :) Yeah it took me a while to eventually get one, for the same reason as you.

I guess in the the end, the bumblebee colour pattern choice is similar to all those other Spyderco design features that get a polarising response. Sal tends to just go with the option that's easy to change, and credits most of us with the ability to do the basic mods.

Sharp Spydiehole edges bother you? Sand 'em down. Don't like the 'reinforced hump nose tip' on many knives? Grind it to a pointy tipped profile. Want a more acute edge angle? Sharpen it on the 15 dps Sharpmaker setting.

Same with the Caribbean colour scheme. I'm pretty happy with mine now.

In truth, if there is a little mod I would like to see on the scales, it would be a slight contoured palmswell in the middle of the handle, like the Kapara scales, rather than flat slab sides.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:20 pm
wasn’t this a discussion about handle scales? why does the backlock brigade feel the need to remind us all that they are terrified of detents in every thread about knives with a compression lock? almost every salt folder besides this one is a backlock. some of us happen to like the compression lock.

Don't know how I missed this. Just stating a truth - if it was a back lock, which I love, I'd buy it, which means I like the scales. I never jumped on anyone's a$$ to force them to like something. Some of y'all need to lighten up a bit about the so called "back lock brigade". Saw a rude comment in 2 threads already today, and I'm not even awake yet. I'm happy you don't like back locks, as there are definitely a ton of knives made just for you and the "anti back lock brigade". Not trying to offend you, I'm just annoyed myself. The forum is for talking, communicating, and that includes opining. Sorry I went way, extremely, and hugely off topic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

I held my first one at blade show west. Dont mind the look but strongly disliked the feel...very hard plastic like, I was surprised but glad I had it in hand first before buying. I would still like to grab a se version if something changes with the scales or there are some good aftermarket options.
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

I tend to like my salts colorful but prefer orange to yellow, not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure but I’m happy with mine tiger-style.

3D052D1A-6014-4490-9A60-DE621F6BDCB6.jpeg
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like that orange. 🍊
- best wishes, Jazz.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Nice orange scales
mayong

Post by mayong »

DTPrime wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm
I tend to like my salts colorful but prefer orange to yellow, not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure but I’m happy with mine tiger-style.

3D052D1A-6014-4490-9A60-DE621F6BDCB6.jpeg

Turned out great. Very cool!
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Neither LOVE nor HATE, 3rd option required.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 am
mayong wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 am
Yours and Evil's look awesome. I've been avoiding the Caribbean solely because the colors are too loud. I like a subtle knife. Ergos 10/10, bumblebee coloring 2/10.
Thanks. :) Yeah it took me a while to eventually get one, for the same reason as you.

I guess in the the end, the bumblebee colour pattern choice is similar to all those other Spyderco design features that get a polarising response. Sal tends to just go with the option that's easy to change, and credits most of us with the ability to do the basic mods.

Sharp Spydiehole edges bother you? Sand 'em down. Don't like the 'reinforced hump nose tip' on many knives? Grind it to a pointy tipped profile. Want a more acute edge angle? Sharpen it on the 15 dps Sharpmaker setting.

Same with the Caribbean colour scheme. I'm pretty happy with mine now.

In truth, if there is a little mod I would like to see on the scales, it would be a slight contoured palmswell in the middle of the handle, like the Kapara scales, rather than flat slab sides.
I second the palmswell, something like the Aqua Salt.