Let's discuss cheaper base models

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThomC

Re: Let's discuss cheaper base models

Post by ThomC »

While I understand the thought process, even here in Europe the price differences between the steel variants are marginal (unless we're talking sprint runs).
Same as the others, the Manix 2 versions range from 100 to 120€, the Millie S30V is 190 while the S110V is 230€.
Though I must admit that seeing Spyderco's best models offered with more beginner-friendly steels sounds like a great idea, however it might run counter to the CQI, maybe, I don't know ?
I have some 12C27 knives that are a breeze to sharpen and maintain and do keep a good edge, and a Spyderco folder with that kind of stuff, with the ergos, the one-handed operation and the rest would mean open up their prospective customer base quite a bit.

Edit : my point being that I don't think there'd be such a huge price gap unless they were all FRN or FRCP and "plainer" steels. Non-American handiwork is just as costly :)
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Maybe this is a different conversation altogether but with the Japanese releases, steel choice made a difference for me. The issue was the high price of G-10 on Seki knives. I wasn't willing to buy some models in VG-10 at those prices. If they had had a premium steel (like the Police4) I would have been more likely to buy. Of course the Police4 didn't sell well enough to survive being discontinued along with the Qball and D'allara.

And with the Shaman steel choice and handle material seem to make a difference to the AFI crowd too. Many hesitated to pull the trigger on the base model, myself included, though ultimately I ended up with one and am very happy with it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like and appreciate all the fancy steels but, at the same time, I could be perfectly content with BD1 or BD1N. In fact I carry a Manix 2 LW (BD1) or Para 3 LW (BD1N) quite often. They're easy to maintain and get wicked sharp with minimal effort. I was actually surprised by how much cardboard I could cut up with that Manix 2 LW compared to similar knives with "better" steel. I just sometimes wish that those base models would have a handle color other than black.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Just like with other (luxury) products the makers will just charge a price that the market will bear and there is often little relationship to the production/material costs. The amount of steel used for 1 pocket knife is so small that it doesn't change the price much. Companies in any industry will often pick the cheapest solution they can get away with just to save a few dollars and make more profit.

I think a bigger factory for the price is the machining cost. A steel that is easier to grind spends less time on the production line and thus could be cheaper even though the material costs were higher. LC200N costs more, but is easier to work with for example. Also with FRN scales you can make those super fast and cheap compared to milling G10. All you need is high enough volume in production/sales to offset the initial costs for the molds. I bet that the costs difference between G10 and FRN is massive. Much more so than between steels used. But FRN models aren't all dirt cheap because people are willing to pay more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Maybe this is a different conversation altogether but with the Japanese releases, steel choice made a difference for me. The issue was the high price of G-10 on Seki knives. I wasn't willing to buy some models in VG-10 at those prices. If they had had a premium steel (like the Police4) I would have been more likely to buy. Of course the Police4 didn't sell well enough to survive being discontinued along with the Qball and D'allara.

And with the Shaman steel choice and handle material seem to make a difference to the AFI crowd too. Many hesitated to pull the trigger on the base model, myself included, though ultimately I ended up with one and am very happy with it.
The Police 3 debuted at $127 IIRC, and was the first full production Police with a full flat grind, g10 handle and 4 way clip. Old Police variants had some of these features at times, but never all at once.

The Police 4 launched at about $200, and (while it is my favorite model) aside from the new steel it was mostly some ergonomic refinements and a little more belly in the blade.

Despite being over %50 more expensive than the Police 3 when it came out, from what I saw the Police 4 generated much more excitement on knife forums etc.

However, I also noticed the Police 4 stayed in the line-up for about 1/5th as long as the Police 3's near decade long appearance. Maybe the Police 3 was a much better seller? Maybe the VG10/G10 combination and resulting lower price point was the reason?

Of course one must also consider inflation in this context.
Rutger wrote: Just like with other (luxury) products the makers will just charge a price that the market will bear and there is often little relationship to the production/material costs. The amount of steel used for 1 pocket knife is so small that it doesn't change the price much. Companies in any industry will often pick the cheapest solution they can get away with just to save a few dollars and make more profit.

I think a bigger factor for the price is the machining cost. A steel that is easier to grind spends less time on the production line and thus could be cheaper even though the material costs were higher. LC200N costs more, but is easier to work with for example. Also with FRN scales you can make those super fast and cheap compared to milling G10. All you need is high enough volume in production/sales to offset the initial costs for the molds. I bet that the costs difference between G10 and FRN is massive. Much more so than between steels used. But FRN models aren't all dirt cheap because people are willing to pay more.
I think you're right when it comes to the handle materials. FRN molds are a big initial investment, but ignoring that cost, once you're setup to run either the FRN models have to be much quicker and cheaper to produce.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't have much use for knives in steels that I already have enough of. VG 10 is one example. I'm not buying the new police FRN model because it's in VG10. If it was FRN and K390 I'd be buying two.

Joe