K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4880
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:01 am

:D I do wear jeans at work, black though. Like I said I'd be happy with any handle material, I just want liners.

As for the SE H1 being the perfect knife for the job, that's what I've been carrying since Spyderco released it. And it does a fine job. If SE was all I wanted, I would say Spyderco already makes the knife I'm looking for.

PE cuts different, offers different control. PE K390 will perform differently than SE H1. You may like those differences you might not. I'm looking for something different than what I have.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:01 am
:D I do wear jeans at work, black though. Like I said I'd be happy with any handle material, I just want liners.

As for the SE H1 being the perfect knife for the job, that's what I've been carrying since Spyderco released it. And it does a fine job. If SE was all I wanted, I would say Spyderco already makes the knife I'm looking for.

PE cuts different, offers different control. PE K390 will perform differently than SE H1. You may like those differences you might not. I'm looking for something different than what I have.

I'm with you here. I love my SE H1 Spyderhawk and wouldn't change a thing about it. But I can see the value in a small PE Dragonfly Hawkbill for certain things.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3320
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

This is also reminding me that I should pick up a G10 Dragonfly.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4880
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:07 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am
......
Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
I've watched BBB stab a brick with his Police4 :D I'm not that worried about the tip.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:09 am

I’m all for more dragonfly’s
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

Baron Mind
Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Baron Mind » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 am

I don't think you'd have to be overly concerned about a hawkbill in k390 breaking. As far as high carbide volume steels go, k390 is probably THE toughest in that class, and you have to remember, with high hardness comes high strength. Still not a great candidate for lateral stresses light prying, but for compressive forces, like cutting downward, k390 is going to be a top performer.

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3047
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby abbazaba » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am

Given the recent expansions of the Seki line up, it will be interesting to see what is included in the next Sprint Run. Though I don't think it was part of the initial HAP40 run, the Delica Wharnie did eventually get the treatment. With any luck, we will see a few new models included in the inevitable K390 run (Endela and P4 seem like a given, wharnies and hawkbills not as much so).

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4880
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am
...(Endela and P4 seem like a given, wharnies and hawkbills not as much so).
:( but those are what I want the most! Wharnies and Hawkbills are where it's at man :D actually a k390 P4 lightweight is pretty high on my list too.
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

AwayFromMySpydieHole
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby AwayFromMySpydieHole » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:21 pm

I would literally buy 3 k390 dragonflys if they came in the regular blade shape.

For some reason I have fallen in love with the Dfly lately. Owned one for almost 8 years and never really paid it much attention. Now I love it for some reason and I want to get all the variants.

But a k390 plain edge in the regular blade, I’d buy multiples of.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20777
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Evil D » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm

I'd be interested, and while I would like to try a steel like this in SE, I would initially be more interested if it were PE and especially FFG.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 pm

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:26 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
Not gonna say it can’t happen, but I haven’t experienced it... I also don’t have a lot of experience with super high hardness steels. I sure would be dissatisfied and disappointed if my knife couldn’t cut a zip tie.
S110V + zip ties = :.(

I still have nightmares.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:26 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
Not gonna say it can’t happen, but I haven’t experienced it... I also don’t have a lot of experience with super high hardness steels. I sure would be dissatisfied and disappointed if my knife couldn’t cut a zip tie.
S110V + zip ties = :.(

I still have nightmares.
Never had a desire to try s110v. S90v is as high as I climbed in those steels.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20777
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 am

I've heard about these zip tie horrors but I haven't experienced them myself. In fact when the S110V Manix 2 LW came out I did some testing with heavy zip ties (the kind the police hog tie people with) and some banding straps and didn't experience any chipping at all. I wonder if some people are cutting zip ties against a harder surface and that surface is what damages their edge? When I did my testing I just folded the zip tie over the edge and pulled through it several times. I used to do videos about this stuff but I got sick of all the wise guy comments.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Tims
Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Australia

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Tims » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 am
I've heard about these zip tie horrors but I haven't experienced them myself. In fact when the S110V Manix 2 LW came out I did some testing with heavy zip ties (the kind the police hog tie people with) and some banding straps and didn't experience any chipping at all. I wonder if some people are cutting zip ties against a harder surface and that surface is what damages their edge? When I did my testing I just folded the zip tie over the edge and pulled through it several times. I used to do videos about this stuff but I got sick of all the wise guy comments.
I reckon it might be the way some people are cutting zip ties that’s causing chipping rather than the material itself.

Sliding the blade under a zip tie and then torquing the edge up. That sort of lateral stress can be catastrophic for an edge, especially at low edge angles.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20777
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 am

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:08 am
I've heard about these zip tie horrors but I haven't experienced them myself. In fact when the S110V Manix 2 LW came out I did some testing with heavy zip ties (the kind the police hog tie people with) and some banding straps and didn't experience any chipping at all. I wonder if some people are cutting zip ties against a harder surface and that surface is what damages their edge? When I did my testing I just folded the zip tie over the edge and pulled through it several times. I used to do videos about this stuff but I got sick of all the wise guy comments.
I reckon it might be the way some people are cutting zip ties that’s causing chipping rather than the material itself.

Sliding the blade under a zip tie and then torquing the edge up. That sort of lateral stress can be catastrophic for an edge, especially at low edge angles.


I should correct myself, I definitely have had edge damage from zip ties but not with S110V. When I made the video my point was that I was surprised that I didn't see any chipping.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 7985
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:59 am

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 pm
For my work in IT removal/installation, besides opening tons of boxes and packaging... cutting zip ties off of bundles of wire and removing tape from bundles of wires without cutting the wires is one of my most common tasks. Small hawkbills are almost the only suitable tool for the job.

It's also worth mentioning a lot of job sites I work at frown on, or do not allow, large knives. A delica would be too big. Making a Dragonfly the ideal work knife.

Even opening the boxes and packaging. Being able to make shallow pull cuts makes the job easier, and insurers you won't cut any of the package or box contents. For boxes, packaging, and zipties there is nothing better in my opinion.

A K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly, plain edge with liners would be a dream work knife for me. G-10, Carbon Fiber, Micarta, heck wood... that doesn't matter to me, I just want it to have liners and PE K390.


So how about it? Any takers?
There you go, spending my money. :eek: :D

I’d like a K390 Dragonfly. I love that little knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4880
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm
...... I would initially be more interested if it were PE and especially FFG.
👍
Doc Dan wrote:...
There you go, spending my money. :eek: :D

I’d like a K390 Dragonfly. I love that little knife.
:D One of Sal's best designs IMHO
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

AwayFromMySpydieHole
Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby AwayFromMySpydieHole » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:49 pm
I'd be interested, and while I would like to try a steel like this in SE, I would initially be more interested if it were PE and especially FFG.


Yessss.

In any color. Don’t care.

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby crazywednesday » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm in for one or two. This should be a poll.
Justin

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby The Mastiff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Sliding the blade under a zip tie and then torquing the edge up. That sort of lateral stress can be catastrophic for an edge, especially at low edge angles.
Yes, absolutely.
I don't think you'd have to be overly concerned about a hawkbill in k390 breaking. As far as high carbide volume steels go, k390 is probably THE toughest in that class, and you have to remember, with high hardness comes high strength. Still not a great candidate for lateral stresses light prying, but for compressive forces, like cutting downward, k390 is going to be a top performer.
I'm always going to be wary of high carbon/high carbide steels when it comes to SE blades . It didn't take much to lightly damage my ZDP SE blade in comparison to my SE blades in ATS 55 and Gin 1/G2. The damage was never great but it was noticeable even without a loupe. The S60V/440V knives were run at pretty low hardness for the same reason. I still have a couple 440V SE knives but I never gave those the same workout for whatever reasons.

I really like the K390 P4 and mule and I'll buy pretty much any backlock they make in it but I'd hold off on a SE blade in that steel until it was more proven in SE's.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, bigboned, Google [Bot], Johncjeff, Majestic-12 [Bot], Notsurewhy, phaust, steelcity16, thefly01, Theldraskien, Wright.88 and 32 guests