K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 pm

For my work in IT removal/installation, besides opening tons of boxes and packaging... cutting zip ties off of bundles of wire and removing tape from bundles of wires without cutting the wires is one of my most common tasks. Small hawkbills are almost the only suitable tool for the job.

It's also worth mentioning a lot of job sites I work at frown on, or do not allow, large knives. A delica would be too big. Making a Dragonfly the ideal work knife.

Even opening the boxes and packaging. Being able to make shallow pull cuts makes the job easier, and insurers you won't cut any of the package or box contents. For boxes, packaging, and zipties there is nothing better in my opinion.

A K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly, plain edge with liners would be a dream work knife for me. G-10, Carbon Fiber, Micarta, heck wood... that doesn't matter to me, I just want it to have liners and PE K390.


So how about it? Any takers?
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3511
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby TomAiello » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Any Dragonfly in K390 would be an instant buy for me. In multiples. If it came both standard and HB, I'd buy both for sure.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:15 pm

So you are suggesting a Denim Micarta K390 Dragonfly Hawkbill?? Sign me up!! :)

I assume they couud just use the G10 Dragonfly platform and slap Micarta scales on it.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Not sure if you get to wear jeans for your job, but denim micarta would be nice to blend into your jeans.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:29 pm

I want it in SE but yeah, I’m in. Love my d-fly hawkbill.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby bbturbodad » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:41 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:15 pm
So you are suggesting a Denim Micarta K390 Dragonfly Hawkbill?? Sign me up!! :)
Add me to the list!
-Turbo

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby jpm2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm

I'd take a few K390 PE dragonfly hawkbills.

Linerless frn would be fine with me.
I have the g10 linered dragonfly and find no benefit over the frn version, so it's unnecessarily heavy to me.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm
I'd take a few K390 SEdragonfly hawkbills.

Linerless frn would be fine with me.
I have the g10 linered dragonfly and find no benefit over the frn version, so it's unnecessarily heavy to me.
I fixed it for you :D

I agree on the liners. On a dragonfly I prefer the liner less FRN. I sold the g10 d-fly for this reason.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1629
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:49 pm

This would be very appealing!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Watu, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17538
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby JD Spydo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Why Stop at the DragonFly HAWK ???? It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.

I've got to admit that I am still surprised at how well that the Little Hawkbills have taken off. But I'm sure that trend will trickle up to the bigger Hawkbills before too long.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I’m also in the camp of what would you want a PE hawkbill for?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I’m also in the camp of what would you want a PE hawkbill for?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)

My H1 SE Spyderhawk is one I will never get rid of. I'm thinking a PE would better for those precision pull cuts through the tape of bundled wires, or even the outer sheathing of romex house wiring. I'm also thinking it would work better than SE on zip ties. I've never had a PE though. A K390 one sound good in theory, but I would be slightly concerned about the tip breaking off due to the high hardness. :confused:
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm
My H1 SE Spyderhawk is one I will never get rid of. I'm thinking a PE would better for those precision pull cuts through the tape of bundled wires, or even the outer sheathing of romex house wiring. I'm also thinking it would work better than SE on zip ties. I've never had a PE though. A K390 one sound good in theory, but I would be slightly concerned about the tip breaking off due to the high hardness. :confused:
No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.
SE works fine for precision cuts. It’s a common misconception... the teeth aren’t angled outward like they are on a saw, where you have to account for the removal of material.

SE H1 is hard to beat period. And sounds about perfect for your uses.

I do similar things with mine in the automotive industry. Zip ties and getting into wire harnesses without damaging things is a necessity
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby crazywednesday » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 pm

I think its a great idea. I would prefer SE, but would also buy a PE. Spyderco takes lots of risks, but I wish they would make Hawkbills and and SE Hwakbills with exotic metals more.
Justin

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17538
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I’m also in the camp of what would you want a PE hawkbill for?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)
First off I've been saying for about the past two years that PE Hawkbills just don't have the usefulness of SE Hawkbills. But if anyone can tell me any advantages that PE hawkbills have I'm all ears at this point. I have some Spyderco PE Hawkbills but rarely ever use any of them for anything. I would like one of the higher performing steels in a Hawkbill for two reasons. Because many of the jobs I end up using them for are rough jobs. Also in an SE Hawkbill you may not have to sharpen them nearly as much. As far as H-1 goes I'll take the LC200N over that steel any day of the week. Also I might give PE Hawkbills another chance if I could get one in like M390 or S110V. I'm thinking they would hold an edge better and might be more aggressive.

But what the heck I guess you would go to supersteels for many of the same reasons you would with any of Spyderco's models.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:38 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 pm
... It's about time for a Harpy or Spyderhawk with a supersteel blade. Actually it's past due in my opinion.....
What “super steel” would possibly do better in the SpyderHawk (or any other hawk for that matter) than SE H1?

I’m also in the camp of what would you want a PE hawkbill for?

I ask because I’ve seen your threads here, as well as BladeForums over the years asking the same question ;)
First off I've been saying for about the past two years that PE Hawkbills just don't have the usefulness of SE Hawkbills. But if anyone can tell me any advantages that PE hawkbills have I'm all ears at this point. I have some Spyderco PE Hawkbills but rarely ever use any of them for anything. I would like one of the higher performing steels in a Hawkbill for two reasons. Because many of the jobs I end up using them for are rough jobs. Also in an SE Hawkbill you may not have to sharpen them nearly as much. As far as H-1 goes I'll take the LC200N over that steel any day of the week. Also I might give PE Hawkbills another chance if I could get one in like M390 or S110V. I'm thinking they would hold an edge better and might be more aggressive.

But what the heck I guess you would go to supersteels for many of the same reasons you would with any of Spyderco's models.
Good point... I’m liking the idea more now that I think about it
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am

prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

sok
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby sok » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 am

Would be my first Hawkbill.

kerrcobra
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 am

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby kerrcobra » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:15 am

I'd be in for one.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: K390 Hawkbill Dragonfly?

Postby prndltech » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:26 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:26 am
prndltech wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:49 pm

No way plastics would be stronger than a steel knife blade.

Zip ties can do some edge damage, especially the thicker ones. And If you are doing pull cuts on thick zip ties with a high hardness blade, the outward pressure you are putting on the tip as you finish your cut could be enough to shear the tip off. Maybe not with H1, but K390 being a harder steel i would be a little concerned.
Not gonna say it can’t happen, but I haven’t experienced it... I also don’t have a lot of experience with super high hardness steels. I sure would be dissatisfied and disappointed if my knife couldn’t cut a zip tie.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bbturbodad, Bill1170, Bloke, Carlito86, DutchBlades, Google [Bot], Haunted House, koenigsegg, pantagana23, pushcut, RamZar, sal and 22 guests