Past Spyderco Models That Deserve A Chance In SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Past Spyderco Models That Deserve A Chance In SE

Post by JD Spydo »

We've had discussions in the past about the vast differences that some models have in PE versus what that same model would have to offer up in SE. One prime example of that would be the HARPY model. I would dare to say that if Spyderco had only ever offered the HARPY in PE I seriously doubt if it would have even had 10% to 15% of the sales that the Spyderedged version of the Harpy has enjoyed over the years. OK with that said I've been wondering a lot here lately about how many other models would have potentially done better on the sales charts had they been offered in SE?

A few models over the years that I feel had that same distinction are:
(1) The Superhawk
(2) The Breeden Rescue
( 3) The Ulize ( or several other recurve models)
(4) C-111 Captain
(5) Chinook III
That's just a few past models that immediately come to mind that I would like to try in SE. Maybe you've all got some other past Spyderco models to suggest?
Evil D

Re: Past Spyderco Models That Deserve A Chance In SE

Post by Evil D »

My top pick is the Ulize. I'd buy one right now without hesitation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Police 4 g10 K390. Technically discontinued. I mean cmon it's the police. Such an iconic serrated model in my opinion. Besides who doesn't want to see how K390 performs serrated?

Ohh and spyderhawk H1 SE. I know it already came in SE but let's do another run if we're asking. Such a great knife that needs to be in more hands to be appreciated. I have enough stocked up for forever but I'm doing this for everyone else.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm
Police 4 g10 K390. Technically discontinued. I mean cmon it's the police. Such an iconic serrated model in my opinion. Besides who doesn't want to see how K390 performs serrated?

Ohh and spyderhawk H1 SE. I know it already came in SE but let's do another run if we're asking. Such a great knife that needs to be in more hands to be appreciated. I have enough stocked up for forever but I'm doing this for everyone else.
Now this is really interesting but however in a negative and confusing way :confused: A POLICE model not offered in SE :eek: Now that's just borderline blasphemy :confused: . Probably Spyderco's most iconic model ever is the original, first generation POLICE model in SE. I can't tell you how many times I had seen that in magazines and ads throughout the years before I ever bought my first Spyder ever in the Spring of 1995.

Yeah something has got to be done about that one for sure. Now on your SE Spyderhawk they've always been available in SE & PE both even since the original units came out in 2003. But the SUPERHAWK was only ever available in PE which just drove me nuts trying to figure that one out. If there is one variant of any model or style I could do with out >> it would be any of the Hawkbill blades in PE. There are just so many uses for them in SE that I personally have little use for a PE Hawkbill unfortunately.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:45 am
My top pick is the Ulize. I'd buy one right now without hesitation.
This is a Spyder that should have been done in SE a long time ago IMO. I would easily bet that a Recurve with TEETH would be 3 to 4 times as useful as a plain edged unit. With Spyderco literally re-inventing the serrated edge and also taking SE blades to a higher level they really need to explore the possibilities that have been mentioned.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Szabo folder and Ulize.
:unicorn
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Zulu.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm
Szabo folder and Ulize.
Heck yes!!!! That Szabo folder in SE would be a mega-beast IMO. I've always liked that Szabo model because it has a lot of similarities to the C-60 Ayoob model. Any of those Spyderco models with curve and belly to them in SE have huge potential.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yowzer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm
The Zulu.
The ZULU was a most interesting Spyderco "Recurve" model. And yes I would love to see what any of the premium recurve models that Spyderco made to see how well they would perform in SE. I'm like EVIL D my first pick would be the ULIZE in SE. But the Spyker model comes in a close second to that one as far as wanting to see a recurve with Teeth.