How Spyderco came out on top

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: How Spyderco came out on top

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

The PM2 did it for me. I was a Chris Reeve owner many models, all well made, by comparison most of Spyderco offerings quit frankly are cheaply made in fit and finish but the tolerances and attention to quality control stomp the competition.

What I could not ignore was S30V was different and more likable than S35VN.

What I could not ignore was The PM2 cut better. Than a Sebby.

I still think Spyderco tends to be over priced but has mastered the art of a cheaply built knife with such superior manufacturing and close tolerances that they make cheap simple construction actually better than other companies can or do.

As a mass production manufacturer they have quality control down much better than Buck for example and make a consistently great product.

If spyderco Ever did a Buck 110 type knife Buck would be in trouble.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm
Spyderco could destroy the earning potential of a lot of companies. I don't get that vibe from Sal, he seems content on doing his own thing and breaking new ground...heading in new directions rather than going head to head. I buy a lot of different knives, but only one company chases top end steels and that's Spyderco.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:13 pm
Spyderco could destroy the earning potential of a lot of companies. I don't get that vibe from Sal, he seems content on doing his own thing and breaking new ground...heading in new directions rather than going head to head. I buy a lot of different knives, but only one company chases top end steels and that's Spyderco.
I agree and I did the same for years. I’ve come “full circle” if you will, and back to spyderco “basics”. I know there’s other brands that make quality blades... but I can’t do without the hole unless it’s a SAK. The only 2 brands I carry nowadays is Spyderco and Victorinox.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:54 pm
I’m a huge fan of simple, low maintenance things, things I don’t have to worry about amongst all the things you do have to think about in life.

The salt series of knives is one of those things for me. It’s a tool, with no maintenance other than sharpening.

I think the SE Salt knives are where it’s at. Sal, you came out on top with them for sure, at least in this guys opinion.
+1