Hawkbill Comp Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Hawkbill Comp Lock

Post by Dazen »

I’ve realized that Spyderco doesn’t have a hawkbill compression lock model. The only one that I’m aware of is the Superhawk, which was discontinued many years ago and I would love to find out why.

Can we get a return of the Superhawk, maybe with an updated steel?

Or, can we get a Caribbean with a Hawkbill as a third blade shape?

Or, how about a whole new model all together?

What are y’alls thoughts?

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
zeroed4x

Re: Hawkbill Comp Lock

Post by zeroed4x »

I'd buy it but replace the wire clip with a normal spyder clip.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:58 pm
The only one that I’m aware of is the Superhawk, which was discontinued many years ago and I would love to find out why.

It's almost always a lack of sales. Usually plain edge hawkbills don't sell nearly as well as serrated edge hawkbills. Just look at the Byrd Hawkbill. The plain edge version was discontinued awhile ago, yet the serrated edge is still being made.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Superhawk was a quirky beast. Made to forum enthusiast committee specs, but didn't really make anyone happy.

For me, it was the shallow curve and super-wide profile in the pocket, as well as the price, that stopped me from buying it. I like the Spyderhawk better, even if the Superhawk has some tech specs I prefer.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Maybe someone can photoshop the Spyderhawk H1 blade onto the Caribbean scales then please?!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm
Maybe someone can photoshop the Spyderhawk H1 blade onto the Caribbean scales then please?!

I love the idea but I don't think the Caribbean handle will accommodate a hawkbill very well. The sheepsfoot blade already doesn't close into the handle as far as the leaf shaped blade does. I know hawkbills are typically wide when closed but this one would probably be so wide there would be enough exposed edge in the middle of the blade to get your fingers onto. Otherwise the blade would need to have a very shallow hook shape to it like the Superhawk has, and personally that's just not enough hook for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David