Old Requests Being Made Again: C-111 in Orange Please??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Old Requests Being Made Again: C-111 in Orange Please??

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a couple of suggestions that were offered up a couple of years back but apparently got shelved or put on the back burner. First and foremost there was a sterling, awesome request made by one of the Spyder-Brethren about a new variant of the C-111 Captain model. But apparently it's been either "moth-balled" or may have even got lost in the shuffle of Spyderville activities.

And I'm ashamed to say I forgot which Brother suggested it but the suggestion was one that lit me up big time and I never forgot it or lost hope either. Well at the time a very good and well meaning Spyder-Brother here on the Forum suggested to bring the C-111 Captain back in a more spicy, vibrant selection,. He suggested a Sprint Run of the C-111 Captain the have a full Spyderedge on the "inner-arch" part of the blade and to keep the rounded, pendulum end plain edged. He also suggested that this unique knife come with a nuclear orange, G-10 handle as well.

I was so elated at that suggestion that it completely re-ignited my interest in that model. Especially when Jason Breeden's original prototype of that great C-111 Captain model was originally serrated. That way you could have the best of both worlds>> you could have the inner-arch part of the blade with teeth thus making it another SE Hawkbill of sorts while having a razor sharp plain edged pendulum end ready for any PE cutting jobs. In that same thread I also remember a big appeal also being made for another Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy.

Wouldn't this make a superb and very different type of Sprint Run?? :cool: . For all of those of you who agree please chime in :spyder:
Bradley

Re: Old Requests Being Made Again: C-111 in Orange Please??

Post by Bradley »

I'd be interested. Certainly a different take on a CE blade.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Need pic!

CE like this!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

An LC200N Captain, PE at the tip and SE elsewhere, would appeal to me, especially if it was “saltified” like the Caribbean.

Might even be the perfect companion knife.

But...can collabs be brought back years later as sprints?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes, see Lum Tanto and Lum Chinese exclusives. I assume it is just a function of perceived demand plus a new contract with the collaborator.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm in if it gets SE/CE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This is a cool design but probably not one I would purchase unless it was a really interesting steel/scale combo. An LC200N Salt may get my attention.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 pm
Need pic!

CE like this!
This is exactly what I had in mind with a "Nuclear Orange" handle. Because I would actually use mine and use it a lot. I believe if the C-111 Captain had been offered in SE or in this case CE as the pic shows I think it would still be in the main line up. And the name "Captain" would be apropos because it would be an excellent sailor's knife or for anyone also in the commercial fishing industry.

And you actually could make a genuine case of this configuration being a "Combo Edge" instead of a serrated edge>> because with that rounded pendulum end you could do a lot of plain edged cutting. Especially for any type of cutting you would need in the above aforementioned jobs.

Or they could go with a Nuclear Yellow, Green or any other color for that matter. But I just personally liked the one Brother's suggestion of Orange because it would go so well with my Orange, H-1 Spyderhawk>> what a killer combo that would be :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:41 pm
This is a cool design but probably not one I would purchase unless it was a really interesting steel/scale combo. An LC200N Salt may get my attention.
The more I think about it this might be a great one to add to the Salt Series with LC200N. I would much rather have it in LC200N than I would with H-1 for a few reasons.

They could make that one section on the back/spine part a sharp, functional part of the blade as well. Yes this could be a really dream type of utility folder.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:39 pm
I'm in if it gets SE/CE.
When I think about it I really don't see how it would be practical to make that end part in SE :confused: >> unless you're seeing something I don't see just yet?

But this would have all the accolades of a G-10 Harpy or comparable mid-sized Hawkbill with some other amenities. I've always thought that this model along with the Superhawk, Ulize, Breeden Rescue and Dodo would all benefit and make many new fans in the SE/CE selection.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Interested, but NOT orange.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 pm
Interested, but NOT orange.
It wouldn't have to necessarily be in orange. That was the suggestion I remember from some time back. Or they could offer it up like they do in the Salt Series. You could have some in a nuclear color or just plain black like they do on the H-1 Salt models.

The Original C-111 Captain model was in black. Now Spyderco has used colors in the past to differentiate between edge types. The original Spyderhawk for instance was black in SE and blue in PE.

You could really have it in any color scheme you would like. I personally like the Nuclear Colors for hard use because they are easier to find.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:03 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:39 pm
I'm in if it gets SE/CE.
When I think about it I really don't see how it would be practical to make that end part in SE :confused: >> unless you're seeing something I don't see just yet?

But this would have all the accolades of a G-10 Harpy or comparable mid-sized Hawkbill with some other amenities. I've always thought that this model along with the Superhawk, Ulize, Breeden Rescue and Dodo would all benefit and make many new fans in the SE/CE selection.

It's probably impossible to cut serrations into the whole blade without doing it in two different grinds which would be a nightmare in production.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It has got to be tough making decisions on bringing back models that did really poorly the first time around. Making it more desirable and less expensive for the buyer are beginnings but I'm not sure changing colors or even giving it H1 would be enough for this one. This one wasn't even big with the AFI market and would need some work to make it so, all without cost increases.

Joe
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:37 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Yes, see Lum Tanto and Lum Chinese exclusives. I assume it is just a function of perceived demand plus a new contract with the collaborator.
Thanks. Good to know.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:52 am
It has got to be tough making decisions on bringing back models that did really poorly the first time around. Making it more desirable and less expensive for the buyer are beginnings but I'm not sure changing colors or even giving it H1 would be enough for this one. This one wasn't even big with the AFI market and would need some work to make it so, all without cost increases.
OK Mastiff I partly agree with that first sentence you stated. But maybe you've missed my main point. Which is to say that it wasn't properly done right the first time. And no I'm not saying that Spyderco did a poor job of marketing>> nor did they make a product of lower quality>> no that's not my point at all. But the C-111 Captain is in a group of models that should have had a chance in the Spyderedge selection.

And I'm more than sure that a serrated version of it to be marketed in a completely different format might just make all the difference compared to the original PE version. And to be painfully honest it's another model that is highly limited in PE. It's comparable to PE hawkbill blades. To offer up a C-111 Captain with the inner arch part in SE and the end being PE would make it a completely different model all together.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I didn't miss your point. The changes you talk about would still limit it to the same market as it had before. That isn't saying it's a bad design or a poor knife it just bumps up against the market limits of SE knives even with the end being PE. It is also very unconventional looking. Looks do mean sales. When knives look right they are accepted better.

We both know that the ones that used it and liked it usually liked it a lot. It's users were pretty loyal to it at least that is the impression I got from them. I wasn't one who "got it".

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 pm
I didn't miss your point. The changes you talk about would still limit it to the same market as it had before. That isn't saying it's a bad design or a poor knife it just bumps up against the market limits of SE knives even with the end being PE. It is also very unconventional looking. Looks do mean sales. When knives look right they are accepted better.

We both know that the ones that used it and liked it usually liked it a lot. It's users were pretty loyal to it at least that is the impression I got from them. I wasn't one who "got it".

Joe
Now this brings about an interesting aspect to it. Because it now makes me wonder what the intended uses for that particular design to begin with. But also I did get to see the original prototype of this Breeden model right after Spyderco released and it had the inner arch part serrated. Which would indicate to me that the designer even might have thought that it had more potential in SE.

And the name "Captain" would indicate to me that it was intended for fishing or other seafaring activities. But even Jason Breeden's other Spyderco model i.e. The Breeden RESCUE was never offered in SE>> and Spyderco's own RESCUE type blades are all offered in SE. I just know in my gut that both of Jason Breeden's Spyderco models would have been far more useful in SE.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, I agree with you. They would have looked better too. :) Now the Rescue knives I got as soon as I looked at them. I wanted one and bought one as soon as I could. Instant classic!

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:26 am
Yes, I agree with you. They would have looked better too. :) Now the Rescue knives I got as soon as I looked at them. I wanted one and bought one as soon as I could. Instant classic!

Joe
Yeah and if you ever get your hands on one of the Stainless handled RESCUE models you will never let go of that one I can assure you ;)

To describe the Stainless RESCUE model is like crossing the old Stainless MARINER model with an Abrams Tank :eek: I think to this day it might be the most rigid, bulky model Spyderco ever made IMO. Truly I believe you could drop this bad boy out of an airplane and I don't think it would hurt it too much. If I ever find anymore stainless RESCUE models on the secondary market I will jump on them. One of the very best models to come from the ATS-55 era for sure. :cool: