Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Postby Surfingringo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am

I have been carrying my pe Lil Matriarch lately and have been reminded just what an amazingly useful EDC tool that blade shape makes. I prefer those blade shapes in smaller sizes for precision cutting and I think the Dragonfly would make a perfect platform.

Actually, I would be happy if this was just added to the Salt line. H1 is the toughest steel in the Spyderco lineup and would be ideal for a pointy tipped knife that was going to see everyday use. I would buy several, both PE and serrated, for use on the water and on dry land!

RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Reverse S Dragonfly please!

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 am

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Postby Doc Dan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:30 am

That would interesting. Now that I finally bought a Sharpmaker such a blade would be easy to sharpen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

Mushroom

Postby Mushroom » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:36 am

I know I've seen others here express interest in a Reverse S Dragonfly as well, so it seems like theres some support for one.

I've wanted to pick up a Lil Matriarch for a while now, just to see what I think of the Reverse S blade shape. If a Dragonfly happened, I'd probably try one out for the sake of trying it.
- Nick

:spyder:

wrdwrght

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am

That would get me to buy another DF.
Marc <— a mere data-point

INBOUND: 83mm “Mini” Manix. ON RADAR: Maxamet PM2; Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

Dazen

Postby Dazen » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:38 am

I would love to see one as well, since I will probably pass onto M4 Dodo. Still debating whether or not to buy the Lil Matriarch from BBS.

steelcity16

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 am

I made a similar post awhile back. I would love a Reverse S Dragonfly and a Dodofly! The blade shape I had in mind was more cricket-like though. a Cricketfly!

viewtopic.php?t=84073&start=20

Here is my Dodofly thread as well!

viewtopic.php?t=84079
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:44 am

I'd be in for this. It would kinda be like a mini Dodo.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am

Yup. Like a large cricket/mini dodo... I want one. In SE PLEASE! Make it salty.
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

Tims

Postby Tims » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:36 pm

I’ve been wanting to play with a reverse S for a while now. My preference would be for PE. I feel it has all the benefits of a hawkbill with less of the downsides.

I’ve hovered over ‘add to cart’ on a Matriarch many times but I’m not sure I’d carry it in public. It’s a very aggressive looking knife. If PE was available I think I’d pull the trigger.

So, that’s a yes for me!

JacksonKnives

Postby JacksonKnives » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Plain edge seems the sane choice, but if you're going for the hooked tip you might as well have the teeth. I've regretted not having them on PE Crickets and my Spyderhawk.

elena86

Postby elena86 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I was stupid enough not to purchase the SE LIl'Matriarch :eek: . My Dragonfly Hawkbill is good enough ... but I would buy a Dodofly in a heartbeat ! Just bring it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

Sumdumguy

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm

I would rather have the Dodofly. That blade is made for a choil.

The the matriarch style reverse S works best on the Delica's handle, but I would love to see an Endela handled one.

elena86

Postby elena86 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm
I would rather have the Dodofly. That blade is made for a choil.

The the matriarch style reverse S works best on the Delica's handle, but I would love to see an Endela handled one.

You nailed it ! That reverse S edge is perfect paired with the Delica handle.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

TomH

Postby TomH » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Dodofly, please.

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Dodoflycket

The more I picture this the more I like it
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

araneae

Postby araneae » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Yes please
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got: Wharncliffe & Waved D'flies

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am
I have been carrying my pe Lil Matriarch lately and have been reminded just what an amazingly useful EDC tool that blade shape makes. I prefer those blade shapes in smaller sizes for precision cutting and I think the Dragonfly would make a perfect platform.

Actually, I would be happy if this was just added to the Salt line. H1 is the toughest steel in the Spyderco lineup and would be ideal for a pointy tipped knife that was going to see everyday use. I would buy several, both PE and serrated, for use on the water and on dry land!
Lance and others, may I ask: Do you mean, that blade shape makes for an "amazingly usefull EDC tool" generally, or more as an addition to a "conventional" shaped blade and for special tasks?
I never had a reversed egde (or hakw bill) blade, so I can´t talk from experience at all, but especially that "hook like", very low tip looks like it would be great for SOME tasks, but get in the way in a lot of others (especially when cutting on a surface /cutting board I figure?)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Surfingringo

Postby Surfingringo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am
Surfingringo wrote:

Lance and others, may I ask: Do you mean, that blade shape makes for an "amazingly usefull EDC tool" generally, or more as an addition to a "conventional" shaped blade and for special tasks?
I never had a reversed egde (or hakw bill) blade, so I can´t talk from experience at all, but especially that "hook like", very low tip looks like it would be great for SOME tasks, but get in the way in a lot of others (especially when cutting on a surface /cutting board I figure?)
Hey Warstein, yes, it really depends on your typical usage. If you tend to use the belly of your blade a lot on flat surfaces like a cutting board then you would not be content carrying just a reverse S. If, however, most of your cutting involves the tip...things like cutting tape, opening boxes and clam shells, etc then the reverse s should serve you very well. I carry mine often and rarely if ever find myself facing any tasks that I can’t handle efficiently with a reverse S. It basically gives you the pull cutting advantages of a hawkbill with “some” of the performance qualities of a conventional blade shape.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:28 am

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Hey Warstein, yes, it really depends on your typical usage. If you tend to use the belly of your blade a lot on flat surfaces like a cutting board then you would not be content carrying just a reverse S. If, however, most of your cutting involves the tip...things like cutting tape, opening boxes and clam shells, etc then the reverse s should serve you very well. I carry mine often and rarely if ever find myself facing any tasks that I can’t handle efficiently with a reverse S. It basically gives you the pull cutting advantages of a hawkbill with “some” of the performance qualities of a conventional blade shape.
Thanks, Lance! (that you made me think I´ll perhaps have to try yet another blade shape... :p )
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”